Annoying rattle in Orbea Rise carbon frame

mikegarf

May 2, 2023
Manchester
Has anyone had or got a rattle in their carbon Rise frame. I have an annoying one in the top tube between the shock mount and the seat post. There is definitely something in there. I've tried removing the fork to try and shake out what ever it is but it stays in that area. I wonder is it something left in there when the frame is manufactured or a flap of carbon loose inside?
Whatever it is it's not the motor or cables. Not the end of the world, just annoying.
Cheers.

MosesCuz

May 23, 2024
United Kingdom
Has anyone had or got a rattle in their carbon Rise frame. I have an annoying one in the top tube between the shock mount and the seat post. There is definitely something in there. I've tried removing the fork to try and shake out what ever it is but it stays in that area. I wonder is it something left in there when the frame is manufactured or a flap of carbon loose inside?
Whatever it is it's not the motor or cables. Not the end of the world, just annoying.
Cheers.
Did you get anywhere with this? I also seem to have a similar problem but it sounds closer to the head tube. May be the stupid cable routing. I absolutely love the bike but christ is the rattle annoying. A quiet bike is a faster bike right?

mikegarf

May 2, 2023
Manchester
Did you get anywhere with this? I also seem to have a similar problem but it sounds closer to the head tube. May be the stupid cable routing. I absolutely love the bike but christ is the rattle annoying. A quiet bike is a faster bike right?
Hi
My rattle just comes and goes. There's obviously something in there but it's impossible to get to it. I considered spraying some glue or expanding foam in there to stop whatever it is from moving but never got around to it. Guess I've just zoned it out. 😖

I'm new here, so, HI EVERYONE:cool:!
I may have a cure for the cable/wire noise!
I have a new 2023 Rise Carbon, size large with a carbon bar.
There are other points that I am commenting on that I may repost under different headings.
Tell me about it?

The first few rides the frame was silent, but not any longer. I thought the EP801 was loosening up. Nope, not yet. 180 miles and still no motor rattle.
The clacking/slapping sound is from the cables in the head tube area. The upper headset cover has four cables running through it into the headtube cavity (Shimano control wire, rear brake, dropper post and shifter cable). My carbon bars have the Shimano control wire rattling faintly, too. All of these bits need enough slack to not turn into tight, bike tendons, so cutting them super short is bad idea.
Enter the SpinBlock concern. I'll get to that later on.
Let's fix the noise first.

headtube xray.png

Is this an accurate depiction?
It's possible that the lines are striking the steerer tube and the sides or end of the downtube/headtube, depending on how long they are.

🔬 My in process, yet untested solution is:

#1 Stuff a length/chunk of soft open cell foam into the end of the handlebar to trap and silence Mr Shimano wire.

Remove the left handgrip, insert the foam. A second piece could be stuffed in via the right side of the bar to reach the fat section of the bar to avoid stressing the wire. Done.

#2 Entirely remove the fork leaving all cables in place on the bar and stem. The head tube soft foam(s) will be pushed in through the space left open by removal of the fork. Bearings in or out, no matter.
Attach/glue a soft shoelace to each piece of headtube foam to enable their future and inevitable removal.

#3 Fill the void around and behind the steerer tube to the battery. I'm not sure yet if the foam(s) will be placed against the frame to centre and isolate the cables from the frame or in one larger chunk in the centre to push them outward. Two or three smaller pieces will be easier to place than one big one.
Leave the shoelace(s) long enough for recovering the foam and tuck them in last. Pull on the shoelaces and out comes all of the stuff packed in there.
That's my plan.

Materials:
One new large kitchen sponge or tiling sponge.
Some kind of flexible glue, like contact cement.
Laces from a dead pair, or your roommates' collectable runners.

Enter the SpinBlock.
The SpinBlock (might be judged as unnecessary or as a frame damage risk instead*) *The new 2025 Rise and updated frames of 2025 Occam and 2025 Rallon no longer have a SpinBlock. This info is in each bike's Blue Paper. The 2024 Wild still uses the SpinBlock and I expect that feature will be dropped once Orbea updates the frame. Orbea's choice to not continue with it has me thinking there may have been frame damage claims from it. There is a warning in 2023 Rise Blue Paper pertaining to the SpinBlock. Also, Orbea is reportedly very precise regarding warranty claims that are not manufacturing defects.
Read the Blue Paper carefully.
I interpret it to say; Damage from crashing is not a manufacturing defect. Crashing and damaging the SpinBlock may result in damaging the frame. A damaged frame from a smashed SpinBlock is not part of the manufacturing defect warranty.
That's precise!

Give me a couple of days to get my materials and maybe an hour to do the hack.
I'll report back here once I'm done to report and provide any updates after a couple rough of rides.
FD

Last edited:

Letteredrock

Sep 6, 2024
North Carolina
I'm new here, so, HI EVERYONE:cool:!
I may have a cure for the cable/wire noise!
I have a new 2023 Rise Carbon, size large with a carbon bar.
There are other points that I am commenting on that I may repost under different headings.
Tell me about it?

The first few rides the frame was silent, but not any longer. I thought the EP801 was loosening up. Nope, not yet. 180 miles and still no motor rattle.
The clacking/slapping sound is from the cables in the head tube area. The upper headset cover has four cables running through it into the headtube cavity (Shimano control wire, rear brake, dropper post and shifter cable). My carbon bars have the Shimano control wire rattling faintly, too. All of these bits need enough slack to not turn into tight, bike tendons, so cutting them super short is bad idea.
Enter the SpinBlock concern. I'll get to that later on.
Let's fix the noise first.

View attachment 145520
Is this an accurate depiction?
It's possible that the lines are striking the steerer tube and the sides or end of the downtube/headtube, depending on how long they are.

🔬 My in process, yet untested solution is:

#1 Stuff a length/chunk of soft open cell foam into the end of the handlebar to trap and silence Mr Shimano wire.

Remove the left handgrip, insert the foam. A second piece could be stuffed in via the right side of the bar to reach the fat section of the bar to avoid stressing the wire. Done.

#2 Entirely remove the fork leaving all cables in place on the bar and stem. The head tube soft foam(s) will be pushed in through the space left open by removal of the fork. Bearings in or out, no matter.
Attach/glue a soft shoelace to each piece of headtube foam to enable their future and inevitable removal.

#3 Fill the void around and behind the steerer tube to the battery. I'm not sure yet if the foam(s) will be placed against the frame to centre and isolate the cables from the frame or in one larger chunk in the centre to push them outward. Two or three smaller pieces will be easier to place than one big one.
Leave the shoelace(s) long enough for recovering the foam and tuck them in last. Pull on the shoelaces and out comes all of the stuff packed in there.
That's my plan.

Materials:
One new large kitchen sponge or tiling sponge.
Some kind of flexible glue, like contact cement.
Laces from a dead pair, or your roommates' collectable runners.

Enter the SpinBlock.
The SpinBlock (might be judged as unnecessary or as a frame damage risk instead*) *The new 2025 Rise and updated frames of 2025 Occam and 2025 Rallon no longer have a SpinBlock. This info is in each bike's Blue Paper. The 2024 Wild still uses the SpinBlock and I expect that feature will be dropped once Orbea updates the frame. Orbea's choice to not continue with it has me thinking there may have been frame damage claims from it. There is a warning in 2023 Rise Blue Paper pertaining to the SpinBlock. Also, Orbea is reportedly very precise regarding warranty claims that are not manufacturing defects.
Read the Blue Paper carefully.
I interpret it to say; Damage from crashing is not a manufacturing defect. Crashing and damaging the SpinBlock may result in damaging the frame. A damaged frame from a smashed SpinBlock is not part of the manufacturing defect warranty.
That's precise!

Give me a couple of days to get my materials and maybe an hour to do the hack.
I'll report back here once I'm done to report and provide any updates after a couple rough of rides.
FD
Did any of that work? I just bought a 2025 Rise and I love it, but the rattle is hard to get used to.

Did any of that work? I just bought a 2025 Rise and I love it, but the rattle is hard to get used to.
Hi Letteredrock
I have not completed the foaming as I described earlier.
I have had success in eliminating most noise by simply adding tape to the bars to stop the cables slapping on the lower back side of the bar. When the cables are pushed into the headset port deep enough to create enough clearance at the bars the slapping at the bar sound gets replaced by a much louder clatter from inside the headtube. Pushing the extra length of cable into the frame made the problem different and worse.
It sounds lazy, but wrapping black electrical tape to hold the cables to the bars has me reconsidering my plans with the foam because it's working so well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles