Annoying Levo 18 creak

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Hey all,

Uploading a vid of my creak, hoping someone else had the same and solved it. Have gone tru the forum, and i think most likely its the motor mount rubbing against the side of the frame. So will send it in and get the sides greased.

Just seeing if anyone else has the same creak

Have had it pretty much from day one, and its louder now, at 1000km

Not suspension issue (doesnt make the noise if i load the bike without touching the cranks)

Doesnt make sound on downhill or no load pedaling

seems to go away if entire bike is cleaned well...but comes back.

Not seatpost (have gone tru 2 CP and now on a reverb)

Not pedals, have swapped out diffrent pedals to check.

take a look guys...and cringe....sounds terrible when i power uphill...whole hill can hear me coming

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
You just have to work through *every* scenario and combo possible as follows: Pedal light/hard. Coasting. Feet completely off pedals. Standing/sitting. Motor on/off. Smooth terrain/over bumps. Check all interfaces: Motor bolts, linkages, cranks to spindle, pedals to cranks. Saddle rails. Seat post parts etc.

I’d suspect (if noise when not seated) cranks to bb interface or suspension pivots. Try squirting GT85 on individual pivot interfaces one at a time using process of elimination.

Dismantle, de-grease, re mount grease or no grease as required, bolt torques etc. :)

Last edited:

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Sounds suspiciously like loose motor covers. Try tightening the three small bolts on the plastic motor covers on either side of the motor and see if it goes away. Mine tend to loosen up every three or four weeks and have to be re-tightened again. It's gotten so that I check them after every off-road ride to see if they are still snug. They are very small bolts so you wouldn't want to over tighten. Haven't ever seen any torque listing for them.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Sounds suspiciously like loose motor covers. Try tightening the three small bolts on the plastic motor covers on either side of the motor and see if it goes away. Mine tend to loosen up every three or four weeks and have to be re-tightened again. It's gotten so that I check them after every off-road ride to see if they are still snug. They are very small bolts so you wouldn't want to over tighten. Haven't ever seen any torque listing for them.

OMG I COULD KISS YOU. i dunno why it never occured to be to check those bolts....i tigthened everything else. u are right, all 3 were loose and spinning freely. in fact..the bolt to the leftmost...i cant tighten it...it just spins freely. but tightening the other 2 has stopped the creak completely

Have you tried blue loctite?

oh god..u dunno how much love i feel for you right now Jeff McD...may you never crash, may all your rides be bliss

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-16 at 3.39.21 PM.jpeg

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
OMG I COULD KISS YOU. i dunno why it never occured to be to check those bolts....i tigthened everything else. u are right, all 3 were loose and spinning freely. in fact..the bolt to the leftmost...i cant tighten it...it just spins freely. but tightening the other 2 has stopped the creak completely

oh god..u dunno how much love i feel for you right now Jeff McD...may you never crash, may all your rides be bliss

View attachment 13826
Hey just glad I could finally help someone in the forum for once. I had the same issue when I was new to my 2018 levo, read this tip in a post and benefited immensely as well. The trouble is those are tiny little bolts and they tend to keep loosening. Easy to strip them which is what you might have done or perhaps the mechanic with that one bolt.
So I have developed a steadfast habit after every ride of flipping the bike over upside down to clean the chain and lube it once a week, then tighten those little cover bolts, wipe clean my stanchions on fork, shock and dropper post and then a quick cleaning wipe down with furniture polish. I found those bolts loosen up and start creaking about every 2 to 3 weeks if I don't do this. Now that I do it they never creak.
Can't remember if I used blue Loctite but I definitely will try it now that you reminded me and maybe they won't loosen.
Ha ha, from the scratches on your bike, it looks like you live in a rocky area just like me. Have fun with the bike.

LewBurns

May 13, 2019
Huddersfield UK
Hi y'all,

Having the same issue on my recently acquired 200 miles secondhand Levo Carbon Expert.
Tightened everything. Tightened plastic cover bolts. Removed non drive side cover. Removed battery. Really struggling to get to the bottom of it. Had the bike a week. It was not as pronounced as it now is. So noisy it's embarrassing and not a good advert for Specialized.
See if I can upload a video......

Seems not. Suffice to say it's very similar to the vid above.

Tips on adding a video please??

LewBurns

May 13, 2019
Huddersfield UK
I'll try a photo first perhaps
IMG-3340.JPG

So the shop suggested tightening the 2 nuts that are visible by the wiring loom. Did that, no better.
It happens only when applying weight/pressure/torque to the left crank. Does it with the cover off. Couldn't take other cover off as I don't have the tools. Would be happy if someone could tell me which tools I need. (Puller and XLC 8 Spline Isis Bottom Bracket Tool which nobody seems to have in stock) If anyone can send me a link to a UK seller for the puller, I'll try and buy one)

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
2018 or 2019 model? If 2018 check the lower battery bolt that the battery housing rotates on when removing the battery. Mine was a bit loose. Check suspension bolts for rear triangle.
Also make sure pedal is threaded in securely and crank bolt is snug to 37 N meters torque. Otherwise I am at a loss. Not familiar with 2019 model.
Finally, since you bought it used, I would check the entire lower frame for tiny cracks. You never can tell.

Last edited:

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
I'll try a photo first perhaps
View attachment 13897

So the shop suggested tightening the 2 nuts that are visible by the wiring loom. Did that, no better.
It happens only when applying weight/pressure/torque to the left crank. Does it with the cover off. Couldn't take other cover off as I don't have the tools. Would be happy if someone could tell me which tools I need. (Puller and XLC 8 Spline Isis Bottom Bracket Tool which nobody seems to have in stock) If anyone can send me a link to a UK seller for the puller, I'll try and buy one)

After i posted the 1st message...my bike is currently in LBS for a seized motor. The clutch wont disengage for some reason.

So since its in for possible motor replacement, i told the LBS to solve the creak and update me on what they do

LewBurns

May 13, 2019
Huddersfield UK
Mine is a 2018 model which I was told had had very light use for its 201 mile life.
Tightened the rear triangle bolts. Tightened pedals.
I’ve ordered the tools I believe I’ll need to remove motor.
I’m awaiting a satisfactory response from the supplying shop after I sent them the video.
I would like to know how to post a video on this forum if anybody can help.
I’m going to build it back up again carefully checking torque settings.
Is there anywhere that can supply me the torque settings for the various bolts etc?
Sad to hear yours is in the shop @jwrx
I am actually quite surprised how many issues there seam to be with this brand and model of supposed top of the range quality.
Part of me is wishing I’d discovered this forum sooner, I may of ended up not by a Specialized.
Ah well, more work to do although I’m sure I shouldn’t have to be doing it as it’s not even a year old yet. Surely under warranty?
Regards to all
Lewis

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Mine is a 2018 model which I was told had had very light use for its 201 mile life.
Tightened the rear triangle bolts. Tightened pedals.
I’ve ordered the tools I believe I’ll need to remove motor.
I’m awaiting a satisfactory response from the supplying shop after I sent them the video.
I would like to know how to post a video on this forum if anybody can help.
I’m going to build it back up again carefully checking torque settings.
Is there anywhere that can supply me the torque settings for the various bolts etc?
Sad to hear yours is in the shop @jwrx
I am actually quite surprised how many issues there seam to be with this brand and model of supposed top of the range quality.
Part of me is wishing I’d discovered this forum sooner, I may of ended up not by a Specialized.
Ah well, more work to do although I’m sure I shouldn’t have to be doing it as it’s not even a year old yet. Surely under warranty?
Regards to all
Lewis

mine is just pass 1000km, yes still under warranty, im not worried, our Spez LBS is awesome. My group has 5 Levos. I wont think of buying any other ebike except another levo to be honest, truly love mine.

LewBurns

May 13, 2019
Huddersfield UK
So, spent the last hour refitting non drive plastic cover and crank and battery and then checking torques and tightening, where necessary. Got to doing the non drive side rear suspension chain stay/lower arm pivot at rear(near axle and have somehow managed to round out the hex. I figure they may be left and right hand threads respectively but it just kinda felt to crumble. I'm guessing it's alloy? (see photo)
I'm not touching it now till I've spoken to the supplying shop in the Midlands. I'm 2 hours away from them by car so a right PIA to take it back.
All in all, very disappointed with this bike and it seems it's kinda symptomatic of the brand.
IMG-3342.JPG

Any suggestions on how to get the bolt out would be welcome but I suspect it will be going back to the shop.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Since you never did get a reply..or for the benefit of others.....that bolt is now scrap so get a bolt that is a comfort fit ( thread end )and araldite it in...obs wait for the araldite to set. Use some wd 40 to ensure the thread is not seized. Undo the pivot bolt using the hex of the bolt you have araldited in.

LewBurns

May 13, 2019
Huddersfield UK
Hiya,

Thanks for the advice on the bolt. Sorry I never made a follow up post to bring the story up to date.
I returned the bike back to the supplying shop ( RaceCo | Mountain Bike | Specialized | Cube | Orange | Haibike | E Bike )under warranty.
They were fantastic I have to say. I think the name of the guy who totally committed to the repair work was Rich.
Dropped it off at 11am and collected at 6pm same day.
Rich systematically set about eliminating possible causes. He suspected rear hub bearings which I was sceptical about, although, they were not as smooth as they should've been for 200 miles use.
It wasn't the bearings which he did replace. Nor was it the freewheel hub bearings which he also replaced as he thought they weren't as nice and smooth as they should be.
Then, moving forward, removed, replaced and re-greased all suspension bearings and pivots.
Still no better, eventually tried a replacement motor and voila. New motor fitted, creak gone.
He also repaired a slow puncture in front tubeless tyre.
This was service at it's very best.
Cost = Zero
They were sorry that I'd had to be inconvenienced to get the bike repaired.
This speaks volumes for their commitment to support riders and suppliers like Specialized alike.
Totally recommend these guys.
Bike is now creak free and in excellent fettle. Even managed a few decent rides this past couple of weeks and boy is this bike fun. Battery life is a bit of an issue as the rides I've been doing are around 30 miles and with my lack of fitness and the severity of the terrain, I'm running out at 26ish miles.
Going to look at range extenders, anybody got any experience of either and Booz or Trail Watt's?
Also, and sorry if this is not the place to ask but can a 700wh battery be fitted to a 2018 Levo expert?
Cheers y'all

Samdh123

May 2, 2020
Uk
Hi, I have exactly the same problem. I’ve tightened the motor cover bolts but it’s still there. It’s driving me insane. Does anybody have any other tips?

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Hi, I have exactly the same problem. I’ve tightened the motor cover bolts but it’s still there. It’s driving me insane. Does anybody have any other tips?

2 other things u can try, dropper cable (sometimes it gets kinked internally, remove it, ride with a fixed post, see if it sorts out the noise...or ride it with the dropper in diffrent position to stretch out the cable)

take out the motor, grease the side of the motor frame, where it touches the levo internally

also...i had a new bike recently, could have sworn 100% its the crank area creaking like hell...turned out to be the new shimano cassette, took it out, greased it top to bottom, no more creak

Last edited:

krisrayner

May 20, 2019
California
I fought with a creak for a while. Found out how important is to grease the contact points for the sprocket and crank arms. Clean the threads and use blue loctite on the chainring lock ring and crank bolts. Until I did that they kept kissing over time and creaking.

Adam Thomas

Apr 25, 2020
Wollongong Australia
Hey just glad I could finally help someone in the forum for once. I had the same issue when I was new to my 2018 levo, read this tip in a post and benefited immensely as well. The trouble is those are tiny little bolts and they tend to keep loosening. Easy to strip them which is what you might have done or perhaps the mechanic with that one bolt.
So I have developed a steadfast habit after every ride of flipping the bike over upside down to clean the chain and lube it once a week, then tighten those little cover bolts, wipe clean my stanchions on fork, shock and dropper post and then a quick cleaning wipe down with furniture polish. I found those bolts loosen up and start creaking about every 2 to 3 weeks if I don't do this. Now that I do it they never creak.
Can't remember if I used blue Loctite but I definitely will try it now that you reminded me and maybe they won't loosen.
Ha ha, from the scratches on your bike, it looks like you live in a rocky area just like me. Have fun with the bike.
Man I been dealing with this same painful creak for months. Today I was like gotta look this up and here it is . Cheers bud great tip.

pj1

Jun 23, 2020
Bradford
I had a creak on 2018 levo. Couldn't pinpoint it, crank, seatpost, pivot bearings? When I got hold of the battery by the bash plate and twisted it side to side I heard the noise was actually originating near the bolt at the top of the battery and there was slight movement. Took the battery out an applied some helicopter tape as shown in picture (electrical tape too thin unless you put more layers on). Put the battery back in. Movement gone, no creak, peace at last. Please check for this before dismantling your bike and motor. You might not need to tape all the places I have, I just covered all bases.

P1010554.JPG

Last edited:

Spruce

Sep 11, 2020
Wales

View attachment 13826
Hi, Complete newly here and to EMTB. Bought a 2021 Levo Comp a few weeks ago and after 200km this annoying click/squeak developed. Noticeable mainly when pedalling hard. I followed the advice here to tighten the motor cover and it sorted the problem immediately. Thanks OP.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I had a creak on 2018 levo. Couldn't pinpoint it, crank, seatpost, pivot bearings? When I got hold of the battery by the bash plate and twisted it side to side I heard the noise was actually originating near the bolt at the top of the battery and there was slight movement. Took the battery out an applied some helicopter tape as shown in picture (electrical tape too thin unless you put more layers on). Put the battery back in. Movement gone, no creak, peace at last. Please check for this before dismantling your bike and motor. You might not need to tape all the places I have, I just covered all bases.

View attachment 34167
My creak/clicking was caused by the other end of the battery (to test if battery, take it out and ride bike and see if noise goes), where a lug fits in to recess on frame. Some silicone grease got ride of the noise but eventually it comes back, so I put a layer of insulation tape on the lug to tighten up the fit. Creak gone.

Spruce

Sep 11, 2020
Wales
Hi, Complete newly here and to EMTB. Bought a 2021 Levo Comp a few weeks ago and after 200km this annoying click/squeak developed. Noticeable mainly when pedalling hard. I followed the advice here to tighten the motor cover and it sorted the problem immediately. Thanks OP.

Follow up to this.

Creak re-appeared and after a trip to local specialized dealer the diagnosed a lose cassette from factory. This dealer didn't supply the bike, another one did. It appears the torque settings for the cassette were way under and it created this weird creak that travelled up the down tube and could have sworn the noise was coming from the battery or crank. 200km later and still completely quite. Don't assume your bike is properly torqued from new, the Specialized little helpers sometimes miss a think or two.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles