Air shocks losing pressure

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
I’m a new owner ...August ....I did my shocks straight away ( set the pressure for my height weight and riding terrain ) ....I’ve just checked them again and I’ve lost half on the front and nearly all on the back ....do you use the shock pump when they are open or closed ....have I made a rookie error or are they leaking air ...do they leak air , does the autum temperature play a factor ....any advice is welcome ..thanks

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I’m a new owner ...August ....I did my shocks straight away ( set the pressure for my height weight and riding terrain ) ....I’ve just checked them again and I’ve lost half on the front and nearly all on the back ....do you use the shock pump when they are open or closed ....have I made a rookie error or are they leaking air ...do they leak air , does the autum temperature play a factor ....any advice is welcome ..thanks
How long does it take for them to lose pressure? If the last time you aired them up was August, it’s not the shocks it’s you.

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
I’m not sure ...I’ll check it again later ....but on this occasion it would’ve been about 10 weeks between checks

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I’m not sure ...I’ll check it again later ....but on this occasion it would’ve been about 10 weeks between checks
You might loose a little air say a few psi over that time, but not huge amounts like you say. If it’s loosing air that quickly then something is up with them.
Are we talking a new bike or used ?

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
If you'd lost almost all the air from the shock, the bike would be unrideable, for sure you'd notice it.
So you're probably losing air when you thread on the shock pump........
There's only a small volume of air in the shock and it doesn't take much to lose it

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
The valve cores can be loose. This has two effects. 1. You can have a gradual loss of pressure. 2. The valve core protrudes more and doesn't fully close before you remove the shock pump,

#2 is a really bad thing to have going on as you can't trust your shock/fork settings and they will jump around massively as you attach/detach the pump.

Proper behaviour is:

- no escaping air when you attach the shock pump (just a brief hiss as the hose pressurises)
- a brief hiss of air depressurising the hose when you remove the shock pump

If you can find any point in attaching/detaching the pump where the shock/fork depressurises ( extended hiss of escaping air) it is a problem that needs fixing. Start with nipping the valve cores tighter (Schrader valve core tool). Sometimes your shock pump seal can be deformed or just out of tolerance in which case you need to try a different shock pump. >90% of shock pumps are just fine (including the cheap ones).

Overtightening of the shock pump onto the valve can distort the seal. The adapter only needs a quarter turn after the hiss of equalising pressure into the hose.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've never done this, but the idea was prompted by this particular problem.

Connect the shock pump, so that you get a reading. Pump it up to a round figure if its easier. Then leave the shock pump connected and see how long it takes for the pressure to drop, as displayed on the dial.

If you have a big problem, I'm sure you'd notice a pressure drop overnight or after a few days if its a minor one.

PS: Apart from a faulty valve on a new shock, I have never had a problem like yours. They do depressurise over time, but such a long time that I don't bother checking on a frequent basis. If I check every 3-4 months that would be about right, but I don't have a schedule. I take my cues from how the bike rides.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Occasionally a new fork or shock will leak out of the box, but it happening to both is really rare. Like mentioned above, check the valve cores to make sure they are not loose and are crewed in all the way.
As part of our prep routine when assembling new bikes, we remove the valve cores from the shock and lightly apply grease to the threads.
I use plumber’s tape on my personal bikes

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
Occasionally a new fork or shock will leak out of the box, but it happening to both is really rare. Like mentioned above, check the valve cores to make sure they are not loose and are crewed in all the way.
As part of our prep routine when assembling new bikes, we remove the valve cores from the shock and lightly apply grease to the threads.
I use plumber’s tape on my personal bikes
I’ve just got home and checked them both , they’ve both lost about 10 psi each but I’m not sure if that’s leakage out of the shock pump when I disconnect or something, it’s a cheaper end shock pump so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it or it’s something I’m doing wrong ...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Crap .... I've just given you a glimmer of hope ... Sorry, I must now cruelly swipe it away ! :)

Sadly I was being stupid (which is normal - though I did just try a few days of serious...) .... Stan's no tubes ...

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe

Something seems seriously wrong. My rear Fox Factory DPS has a very slight leak out of the negative air chamber; total loss about 5-10 psi in a week but very noticeable when I push down on the saddle to match the equalization port; force required to hold the bike down rapidly decreases but I’m too lazy to try to fix it. Front fork has a larger volume so leaks insignificant.

You’ll definitely notice a pressure change when the weather turns cold but not enough to explain what you’re seeing; PV = uRT but the T in this case is based on absolute zero (-273C) so a fairly small percentage change for the change in weather.

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
Crap .... I've just given you a glimmer of hope ... Sorry, I must now cruelly swipe it away ! :)

Sadly I was being stupid (which is normal - though I did just try a few days of serious...) .... Stan's no tubes ...
I’m going to find you and sing spandau ballet songs to you ..... all night ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
What are stans?
Ignore Zimmerframe,
You’ll get sucked into his vortex and struggle to climb out. Some say he’s full of piss and wind, some say he’s just a lonely old man with a walking frame, reliving his youth via the internet, some even think he’s funny and sometimes helpful. To most of us he’s “just Zimmer” ?

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
Ignore Zimmerframe,
You’ll get sucked into his vortex and struggle to climb out. Some say he’s full of piss and wind, some say he’s just a lonely old man with a walking frame, reliving his youth via the internet, some even think he’s funny and sometimes helpful. To most of us he’s “just Zimmer” ?
That’s ok ....it did make me go check them again and all is good ...they’ve stayed at the same psi as last night

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles