After a solid year with the SRAM T-Type Transmission heres what I can tell you.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Sounds like a whicket journey overall Richie! Thanks for the honest review, you know what I'm sayin'? I was tempted to go the transmission route myself that would have meant getting a new bike also but cheaped out with a mish mash Archer D1/Microshift derailleur/Linkglide cassette and chain on my bike that was a quarter the cost and frankly couldn't be happier. I still don't shift under load though as I never have found that to be advantageous in over 40yrs of mtb riding over reading the trail ahead and shifting accordingly. Especially when it is so easy to regain any momentum lost on a properly tuned eBike.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
That's a very interesting video, thanks for making it. Basic conclusions seems to be: use Shimano cable shifting, use 625Wh battery, forget Airwiz. Or put another way, forget the gimmicks and put your money into well proven components . (y)

Last edited:

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Nah. I don't follow people's links and clicks and Tik-Toks and Snappychats. But if you have something to say and are willing to take the time to type it out on the forum, I'll gladly read it.

What do you think of your SRAM T-Type Transmission after riding 600 miles across the country over the past year? I've got just over 1000 miles on mine since I bought it in January. Perhaps we can compare notes.

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
That's a very interesting video, thanks for making it. Basic conclusions seems to be: use Shimano cable shifting, use 625Wh battery, forget Airwiz. Or put another way, forget the gimmicks and put your money into well proven components . (y)
Yea I fell for it, I was worried that after 6k miles on my 2022 rail the carbon fiber was weakening and the T Type did me in.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The video is a review of the 2024 Trek Rail 9.9 e-bike after one year of ownership. The presenter has traveled extensively with the bike, riding across the U.S. from Florida to California. He shares both pros and cons about the bike.

**Pros:**
- The larger 750 Wh battery offers more capacity than the previous 625 Wh battery, though the presenter feels it depletes quicker.
- The Epic e-chip from Australia, installed to remove speed limitations, works well and is highly recommended for enhanced performance.
- The SRAM AXS shifting pods have held up well with only minor issues.

**Cons:**
- The SRAM Code Silver brakes perform poorly and are loud, despite attempts to fix them.
- Bontrager tires are deemed inadequate for rough trails, prompting the presenter to switch to Maxxis tires.
- The AirWiz system, designed for air pressure management, is seen as unnecessary.
- The elliptical handlebars make mounting devices difficult.
- The SRAM T-Type transmission was a disappointment, with the chain and cassette failing after just 300 miles, resulting in costly repairs.

Overall, the presenter regrets selling his previous bike, which he had customized and feels was superior. The video ends with footage of various trail rides across the country.

/GPT

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles