Adjusting gears on a ride.

Agamemnon

Nov 17, 2019
Florida
Hello, from Florida, my brethren. I went for a ride the other day on my Haibike all mtn 2.0 and it was a gorgeous day....High 60’s (18.5c) and just enough clouds to offer some shade.

I was super stoked for my ride and took off. My bike has Deore shifters and dearaileurs.
About a mile into the ride, and at about 190 miles total on the bike, the chain started making popping sounds and the gear wound change, the another revolution or more it would repeat.

It is my belief that there has been some chain stretch and shifter wire stretch. I think that’s what’s happening.

On my road bike, a giant defy ther is a barrel nut that can be turned to correct this. I do not see on my bike ?. I see an adjuster up at the shifter.... but?????

Question is: Can one make quick adjustments on the trail to EASily fix this problem and not ruin the ride.

That beautiful day I limped through 4.4 miles. Worrying that I was gonna break something—when your are applying gorse to the pedals and it “pops” that is a bad feeling.

Let me say, I wish us all well in the new year and beyond.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
No replies ? @outerlimits promised me he was going to be helpful for the rest of the year ...

Yes, you can adjust the barrel adjuster on the shifter as you ride. As soon as you think about it, you can't remember which way though ... damn... ... I think it's if it's crap on it's changes up (to the small gears), rotate it towards you a small amount ... test again, rotate more if necessary. Likewise, if it's crap changing down (to the big gears) , rotate it away from you.

The cable can stretch, or sometimes just get caught up a bit in the suspension movement or where it enters the frame and things get tighter.

I have one hill, if I ride it up or down, my gears get messed up EVERY time .. and I have no idea why. It's quite bizarre.

Agamemnon

Nov 17, 2019
Florida
What I determined is that there was one link that goes through the jockey wheels and over the cassette poorly. So I ordered two chains.

And all the tweaking I did was for naught— well not exactly, I did learn some things through trial and error.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
B tension.

Suggest you watch a YouTube guide on setting up a mech.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles