Additional wheels. Bontrager, ready built or hand built

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Thinking that a spare set of wheels might be a good idea. (Probably not knowing me but....:cautious:)

Cost is obviously a factor as well per SWMBO!

So am I just as well getting another set of Bontrager carbon wheels (Trek 9.9) or not?

If not what's the advice on a good, reasonably priced, set of aftermarket wheels. If not that then what's the advice on hand built? Cost? Worth it?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Iam Considering spare wheels too , I think given the current supply problem with parts I’ll be buying hope wheels , or at least wheels with hope hubs , mainly because they are made in uk and easy to get parts for , plus they do a steel freehub which is better on an ebike and they are the simplest to work on ‘ replace bearings etc . Always thought if you have carbon wheels it’s nice to have a decent set of alloy rims for the rock bashing rides

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
DT Swiss HXC might be a good alternative but not sure if they are worth the extra money.

These look bullet proof as rated ASTM 5 - E-Deemax S30 29 - E-MTB - Wheels - MTB | Mavic

As a good packup pair, these are good value.

FR560 is a very tough rim - FR 560 | DT Swiss

and the 350 hub is very reliable.

Last edited:

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Ta for the replies. From my copious hamfisted researches it seems to be the usual minefield with expensive damage to pocket if you get it wrong.?

I did think at one time that it would be an idea to have a set of wheels complete and ready to go. I.e. complete with cassette, disk rotors etc. Cost seemed to be the downside of that. ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles