A Week Into Ownership

Burnsey

Aug 27, 2021
North West UK
Bit of a long post, but some may find it interesting...

So, I'll start by saying I've not turned a pedal in over a decade, maybe two and was encouraged to buy an eMTB in order to help shred the three stone weight gain over the last year or so.

I'm also eating healthy and a month into that, I'm 16 pounds lighter already.

So, I only have one mate who's into his bikes and he was my first port of call for help choosing a bike. The problem is, he's a bit of a mtb nerd, so started using words like Kashima and Cadence, which pretty much lost me straight away :D. Anyway, the hunt commenced...

Despite what I've learned during the process, stock is poor and we are somewhat forced into online purchases, which does cause issues in terms of customer service and of course, trying a bike prior to purchase. I am a brand whore and like the best, so with no real budget off I went. First mistake was buying from CRC. The Nukeproof arrived damaged and faulty. It went back and was refunded. During the returns process I ordered a YT Decoy, but later cancelled due to the long lead in time.

Frequently checking online, I noticed Leisure Lakes had a Whyte e-160s in both medium and large, so arranged to call over (35 miles) and take a look. They has others, including Orbea and Specialized, either in stock or due relatively soon, so I would have a range to look at.

Popped down and sat on the Whyte (medium) and liked it. I generally was already favouring Whyte as a manufacturer. I should also say, I knew about the pending motor./display upgrade. But as irrelevant as it may appear, the sky blue was too in your face for me - thefts are high where I live and I felt a more discrete colour would be less of an attraction. Plus I'd started to become interested in higher end components - pure snobbery - so couldn't help catching a glimpse of a black 180RS in the corner of my eye. Now, that was a large, when by all means I should be on a medium, but had a play and a short ride and all felt good, so I bought it.

Unknown.jpeg

Left it with the shop to organise the wrap (matt Xpel) and arranged to collect three days later. Arrived on the day, when they set the suspension, bars, seat, levers, fitted pedals and had already converted to tubeless. Bought a few odds and sods - ground anchor, lock, cleaning stuff, tools, etc and then whipped off the front wheel, loaded it up and off I went.

Charged fully overnight and decided on a short 8 mile route for my first ride and was back home in a jiffy! That was a mixture of roads and short trails/tow paths. Next time I managed 12 miles and yesterday another 11, all in similar terrain.

I'm already getting to understand using the gears and modes in sync, surprisingly using less assistance and more leg power already. I'm concerned the size is a challenge, having sore wrists (and rear end of course!), but don't truly know if it's right for me or not. I intend to pop to the LBS for a proper assessment soon and if it isn't right, I don't think it is by much and adjustments will get it good enough for the intended use.

Intention is to cover 10 miles per day and a much longer cross country weekend run with a mate. Enjoying it immensely, so really pleased I made the investment and can see it being an expensive hobby, as I really 'need' the factory seat post.

Last edited:

MartinD.

Apr 4, 2021
Halifax, UK
Welcome. Your ass will soon adapt and try not holding on for dear life with your hands to save your wrists. Enjoy, I almost bought a 180 but went Orbea instead - they are (mostly) all pretty good.

A1000

Aug 16, 2021
UK
Congrats on the new ride, looks great and I'm sure with a few adjustments it'll feel a part of you. Nicely understated as you say (y)

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Its a stunner, enjoy, You'll soon be addicted like most of us here :)

I too started 10 miles a day when I got my Levo, then I got addicted, these days it's 30 miles 3-4 times a week, and I'm 2 stone lighter.

Burnsey

Aug 27, 2021
North West UK
Its a stunner, enjoy, You'll soon be addicted like most of us here :)

I too started 10 miles a day when I got my Levo, then I got addicted, these days it's 30 miles 3-4 times a week, and I'm 2 stone lighter.

Did a 16 mile 'power ride' with my son before dinner tonight and he trhashed me on his non ebike, but had a great time...

Unknown.jpeg

Burnsey

Aug 27, 2021
North West UK
Even with good shorts i struggled after 15 mins was like sitting on a hot poker

I have some I use on my motorbike, so have worn them on every ride and I've got used to it already - don't get me wrong, it smarts, but happy with the supplied saddle.

I'm just lusting for the Kashima factory seat post :cool:

Metamucil

Aug 16, 2021
Grab a pair of the thick ESI grips if you are getting pain on your inner palm (pinched ulnar). Practice keeping a looser grip by making sure your weight is in your legs.

Ass pain will come back after a season of not riding, too. Par for the course. I tend to get in a short ride early in the spring knowing I'll need a week off after. Not unlike every ski season with my ski boots. If I don't hit some local slopes a few weeks before a ski trip, my ski trip will be misery.

Metamucil

Aug 16, 2021
Even with good shorts i struggled after 15 mins was like sitting on a hot poker
A decent amount of bike shops have a mechanism you sit on that measures the distance between your sit bones. That helps you find the right saddle. I standardized on Selle Italia but the Ergon style that came on my Spectral:On is awesome. I will likely switch over to those across my rides as the previous saddles wear out.

Would I guess that you are wider in the ass dept? I have some healthy birthing hips myself.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
A decent amount of bike shops have a mechanism you sit on that measures the distance between your sit bones. That helps you find the right saddle. I standardized on Selle Italia but the Ergon style that came on my Spectral:On is awesome. I will likely switch over to those across my rides as the previous saddles wear out.

Would I guess that you are wider in the ass dept? I have some healthy birthing hips myself.
Sat on the machine at the lbs found my sit bones were 155 picked a saddle of the same width it was no better finally found a bontrager womens saddle was far better not sure what that says about me lol but now i can do over 20 miles without too much aggro

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If your wrist and finger problems do not go away, give the Ergon GP1 a try.

You need "standard" and unless you have very dainty hands, you need "Large"

As for saddles. The single most important feature, above padding, colour, shape, style and cost, is width!

You need to know your sit bone width, then add 15-25mm. Mine was 130 and I now have a 150mm saddle, Absolute luxury compared to the 130mm saddle I had before! That actually gave me saddle sores! :eek:

Put a piece of corrugated cardboard on a flat surface at chair seat level. Thin trousers or just your pants, sit on it for 10 seconds. Get off and you will see two depressions caused by your sit bones. Draw a circle around each one and put a dot in the centre of each circle. Measure the gap between the dots and that is your sit bone width.
WTB have a different approach using your wrist width and despite it not being as intuitive, it seems to work, see here.

smokin joe's

Jun 21, 2021
north yorks
hmm if you are new to mtbing of any kind your bum will be sore 2 options for ya try chamois cream Asos is good or sudacreme , but after 30 years of riding I discovered brooks saddles I now sit on a swift one, looks strange but when your sat on it no one sees it, also I may add it's gone a funny shape its adjusted to my undercarriage wife says it cos I dress to left and its a lot of meat to fit on it lol, fox dropper post really oe will be ok unless ofc your loaded spend it on things that improve the bike but it looks like you have everything there ......no acoustic bike passes me and I am a pensioner old fart

Burnsey

Aug 27, 2021
North West UK
If your wrist and finger problems do not go away, give the Ergon GP1 a try.

You need "standard" and unless you have very dainty hands, you need "Large"

As for saddles. The single most important feature, above padding, colour, shape, style and cost, is width!

You need to know your sit bone width, then add 15-25mm. Mine was 130 and I now have a 150mm saddle, Absolute luxury compared to the 130mm saddle I had before! That actually gave me saddle sores! :eek:

Put a piece of corrugated cardboard on a flat surface at chair seat level. Thin trousers or just your pants, sit on it for 10 seconds. Get off and you will see two depressions caused by your sit bones. Draw a circle around each one and put a dot in the centre of each circle. Measure the gap between the dots and that is your sit bone width.
WTB have a different approach using your wrist width and despite it not being as intuitive, it seems to work, see here.

Thanks for that.

I'm going to persevere for a while - got to remember, new to this, so the wrists and ass are having a wake up call. I'm also going back to the retail shop after 6 weeks, so will assess it for longer and will be better placed to tell them the issues to resolve.

Upon reflection, I need a trail bike for what I will be mainly doing, but I'm not changing what I've bought for the sake of 50-70 miles per week.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Did a 16 mile 'power ride' with my son before dinner tonight and he trhashed me on his non ebike, but had a great time...

View attachment 70497
My son is a pedal power MTB'er, and a good rider. On the flat and downhill, he will beat me every time.
With age comes cunning!!!!
I find that uphill ( especially steep stuff) and on the flat into a head wind, the old fella (75) is still pretty competitive.

ajbalfe

Sep 24, 2020
Wicklow, Ireland
Thanks for that.

I'm going to persevere for a while - got to remember, new to this, so the wrists and ass are having a wake up call. I'm also going back to the retail shop after 6 weeks, so will assess it for longer and will be better placed to tell them the issues to resolve.

Upon reflection, I need a trail bike for what I will be mainly doing, but I'm not changing what I've bought for the sake of 50-70 miles per week.
What you mean is that you need a trail bike, as well! Before you know it, you'll be throwing yourself off the side of a mountain and allowing the e-160 to fulfill it's destiny.
Take your time with the bits and pieces, the research is half the fun. You can obsess about getting the bike dialed for you but there is nothing wrong with a little obsession.
The Ergon "E" saddle is excellent (stick an E on it and I'm in).
Think about getting a bike fit, makes a huge difference.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles