A load of bolony?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
(anglo saxon expression meaning a load of rubbish)

With the complete absence worldwide of the SRAM PG1130 11-42 cassette I started looking for potential alternatives. There is the Sunrace CSMS8 but even that is pretty scarse in the 11-42 size and a bout the same price.

I noticed some Ebay listings for a brand called Bolony..........presumably a Chinese brand.....but shipped from a UK warehouse and for the 11-42 the price is £35 posted! List price for SRAM PG1130 is over £90.
The Bolony like the PG1130 & CSMS8 is steel sprockets and a bout 100g heavier than the CSMS8 for instance but apart from that looks to have a similar design.

So the question is, has anyone tried either of the above?

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I hear a lot of old bolony on a daily basis...but I'd never heard of Bolany until today...some discussion on other forums suggest it is the same as Ztto ? I've used Sunrace cassettes in the past and have found them to be very good, same as Box as far as I know

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I hear a lot of old bolony on a daily basis...but I'd never heard of Bolany until today...some discussion on other forums suggest it is the same as Ztto ? I've used Sunrace cassettes in the past and have found them to be very good, same as Box as far as I know
yep sorry....you got the spelling right ...Bolany! So on the other forums any comment on whether Bolany was tried and results??

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
I've used Sunrace & ZTTO on my P-bikes. Sunrace was good. Ztto budget cassette was okay, but had "quirks"! ZTTO posh cassette good.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Not much positivity there! Interesting that Sunrace got good feedback though. From my search currently Sunrace is a bout the same price as SRAM for the 11-42 but it is at least a little more available.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Have a look at this @Mikerb, it's Wiggle's eBay store, I've bought stuff from there before, no different than wiggle itself (with Haribos too). They had one a couple of weeks ago, went for around £70.

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Think I got around 100 miles, out of my Bolany before it shattered, had a Sunrace MX8 before with no problems.

Screenshot.png

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Not much positivity there! Interesting that Sunrace got good feedback though. From my search currently Sunrace is a bout the same price as SRAM for the 11-42 but it is at least a little more available.
I've personally had good luck with Sunrace.

A Sunrace 11 speed cassette with an otherwise all XT system, was OEM spec on my KHS 6555+. This budget cassette worked well enough that I didn't know it was a budget item until I was told so.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Back you up on the Sunrace, I've been using them for over 8 years without a problem. Been running on some pretty powerful EBikes ( over 1K Watts ), bit notchy when you first put them on, but within 100miles or so they seem to be nearly as good as the main brands.

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
I too was frustrated by being unable to find a SRAM PG1130 11-42 so I bought the Bolany one for £29.52 from ebay 8/9/10/11S MTB Bike Cassette11-40/42/46/50T Sprocket Derailleur Fit Shimano/SRAM | eBay and it seems fine, maybe doesn't change gear quite as precisely as the SRAM but does a very acceptable job for the price. A couple of days after it arrived I got an alert from CRC to say the SRAM was back in stock so I nabbed one before it went out of stock again - which it did pretty quickly - but it's going to stay in the spares box till the Bolany wears out.

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
The one Sunrace cassette I had (MS8) didn't shift as fast as the Shimano SLX or XT before it.

That could have been because I was reusing the same, slightly worn chain on it.

OP are you thinking about using a Baloney cassette with a mid drive? :unsure:

There's already a photo of one above with a snapped sprocket, I say avoid those cheap ones - cheap for a reason.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles