760mm Riser Bars

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Wanting to change from a flat bar to a riser to shorten the reach a tad and increase wrist comfort.

Anyone got any recommendation for a 760mm (31.8mm) riser bar. I was thinking along the lines of a 30mm rise and maybe 9 degrees sweep..

Thanks

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Burgtec Ridewide alloy yes you will have to cut them down, there are cut marks on the ends to help with this. We do suggest trying them first before cutting, as the 9 degree back sweep is more than some brands and often you don't need to cut them as much as you thought.

800mm wide.
Available in 35mm / 31.8mmm bar clamp
Available in 15mm / 30mm rise.
9 degree back sweep.
5 degree upsweep.
Suggested cut down marks.
Weight 300g.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Ok so I think I'm sold on the carbon bars....

how about grips....

I think it's great getting you guys feedback on this stuff, I admit to being of a bike for sometime before this year..

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
lock on of some type. it really does depend on if you like thick or thin.
Myself i like ODI Rogues, these are a thicker grip with two lock on collars. there is a growing trend now for just one lock on collar that sits inboard of the handlebar.
For thin grips the Burgtec bartenders are quite good with just one lock on collar and a tapered bor inside to help them stay in place, they also come in a wide range of colours.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's pointless listening to anyone's suggestions of what bar to get er.. .they like I mean. ;( You'll have a personal preference for bar rise, width, upsweep, backsweep and roll just as we all do.
it's a case of trial and error finding what you like and get on with best I'm afraid..
The good news is there are very few poor quality mtb handlebars out there anymore so you can't reallygo wrong with whatever brand you go for.

Akso. there's no actual standard for measuring back/upsweep and two bars with the exact sae spec on paper often aren't actually the same shape.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
They switched to 800 this year, they where 780 last year. The fat bar lites are 760

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Never been a fan of carbon bars, aluminium tends to bend so you can usually still ride the bike home if you come a cropper, whereas Carbon tends to snap. Not a problem if you have a world cup pit crew at your disposal, but is for me.

Of course this is my own somewhat antiquated view, so someone can feel free to correct me with proper facts.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I too suffer fron carbon bar fear. which is ironic as 2 of my most rideen bikes have full carbon frames.

Pretty sure there's an internet self help group somewhere for us to join.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Being naturally BLACK that's not a huge problem for me ;)
to be fair i could live with one of these

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 17.15.57.png

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
It's pointless listening to anyone's suggestions of what bar to get er.. .they like I mean. ;( You'll have a personal preference for bar rise, width, upsweep, backsweep and roll just as we all do.
it's a case of trial and error finding what you like and get on with best I'm afraid..
The good news is there are very few poor quality mtb handlebars out there anymore so you can't reallygo wrong with whatever brand you go for.

Akso. there's no actual standard for measuring back/upsweep and two bars with the exact sae spec on paper often aren't actually the same shape.
Fair point... I guess that will be the magic of internet ordering, I can tape them up and loose fit to see if I like, if not, back they go...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
anything not shitty plus size and in Exo and not running the stupid 2.8 tubes they come with will save 1kg+ alone

They all tend to have heavy saddles as well so saving 150g there is easy enough. There are always folk selling perfectly good racy saddles their arse isn't tough enough for for pennies.

That and grips (for feel, not weight, that would be dumb) is all I changed on mine and it saved about 1600g

Oh... and 30g by fitting an Alu 36t NW chainring but that was for gearing not weight. Ring is 54g and cost £5 delivered from china.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
to be fair i could live with one of these

View attachment 7400
I'd much rather have a BLACK carbon session. I don't get on with Cesar's vision of ideal riding position. Kept seeing them in Les Gets/Morzine this summer and they made my old skool 26" Alu session look like a kids bike. WANT way stonger than NEED tho.

Even the 29 looks amazing

p6pb14733037.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles