3D printing

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I started my career in 3d design and CAD before ending up in software engineering.
Needing a bit of a hobby for winter I’ve gotten back into it with 3D printing.

My first venture was to design a wall mount for my Bosch charger which I’m now selling on eBay

I‘ll put a thread up in for sale if anyone wants one a bit cheaper on here
But if anyone needs anything printing or has an idea for a design. Hit me up.
l have a lot of free time and I’m running out of ideas ?
If you need something making as long as you cover the material and postage I’ll sort it out

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Great idea....

This unit makes the magnet run slower, which means assist limit will be raised.
It fits Turbo Levo Comp 2020/2021, but other sizes would be great (to fit other models of bikes)

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
A friend made me a cover for the battery connections for when the bike is on a bike rack and the battery is in the car. Maybe you could offer that for different bikes if they need it.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Great idea....

This unit makes the magnet run slower, which means assist limit will be raised.
It fits Turbo Levo Comp 2020/2021, but other sizes would be great (to fit other models of bikes)

not sure I’d trust running that in PLA at speed. It might eat itself

I tend to keep away from speed derestriction as I just feel like it’ll knacker the motor quicker

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
A friend made me a cover for the battery connections for when the bike is on a bike rack and the battery is in the car. Maybe you could offer that for different bikes if they need it.

Ive seen them on eBay. Wasn’t sure people would use them much. I’ll have a go ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Some ideas:

Those little brackets that secure the front brake cable to the fork. My grandson bought one for his Orange Five, cost him about £6 +postage.

Rebound and compression knobs. He bought a rebound knob for his Manitou fork, cost about £30, had to import from Germany.

Bar end plugs that contain tools, chain links, sundry spares.

EezyRider

Sep 23, 2020
Lincolnshire
Not sure how feasible this would be but what about a battery extender insert. Something that would extend say a 500wh battery to the same length as a 625, appears fairly simple in principal.
or a Kiox mount for the top tube using Velcro straps or zip ties to hold it in place or maybe incorporate a mount from the steerer tube?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
How about some clever little wedge arrangement which clicks onto the bottom sides of derailleurs to deflect branches off the chain line, so they don't get sucked into the pulleys and cause derailleur destruction ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Those little brake calliper spacer things (don’t know proper name) are always useful. The ones you slide into the calliper when you remove the wheels, the larger yellow Magura ones can also be used to push the callipers back when changing pads etc. Always losing those

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You know what, maybe we need to rethink the concept entirely. What if it was a small box with 550 cord in it, sprung for retraction. You pull it out like Luke Skywalker and the end has a little hook, so you hook your bike to objects, rather than stand it on a flat surface?
That sounds way cooler than a stand.

How about we try to simplify things though. Lets use the saddle as the grappling hook. The dropper post as a power launcher.

Stop where you like. Press the mechanism which releases the saddle, fires it into a tree branch then it auto winds the bike safely up out of the way for later retrieval !

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Some ideas:

Those little brackets that secure the front brake cable to the fork. My grandson bought one for his Orange Five, cost him about £6 +postage.

Rebound and compression knobs. He bought a rebound knob for his Manitou fork, cost about £30, had to import from Germany.

Bar end plugs that contain tools, chain links, sundry spares.

Nice!
I was looking at those clips that hold the cable to the fork - they'd cost a few pence at most to make
Also making myself some clips tomorrow to clip the shifter and brake cables together - keep them tidy without using cable ties/tape

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Not sure how feasible this would be but what about a battery extender insert. Something that would extend say a 500wh battery to the same length as a 625, appears fairly simple in principal.
or a Kiox mount for the top tube using Velcro straps or zip ties to hold it in place or maybe incorporate a mount from the steerer tube?

Funny you mention that
My mate has a 500 and 625 for his decathlon stilus - it was a nightmare to get the extender and it's basically just plastic and a few bolts
I'll see if I can borrow his spare battery and model one up! :D

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Personalised replacement Bosch motor badges for all the ones people have lost ..

Hahha my 2nd hand cube stereo came with a 3rd gen badge - I shit myself thinking it had the wrong motor in but nope it just fell off and they put the wrong one back :D

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
I started my career in 3d design and CAD before ending up in software engineering.
Needing a bit of a hobby for winter I’ve gotten back into it with 3D printing.

My first venture was to design a wall mount for my Bosch charger which I’m now selling on eBay

I‘ll put a thread up in for sale if anyone wants one a bit cheaper on here
But if anyone needs anything printing or has an idea for a design. Hit me up.
l have a lot of free time and I’m running out of ideas ?
If you need something making as long as you cover the material and postage I’ll sort it out
One of those planetary cog de-restriction things for a my Whyte e15RS ;-)

samohtr

Jul 24, 2020
St Albans
@emtbPhil - Love the bracket. What software and printer do you have?

I teach CAD/CAM and 3D printing at a college. I designed this bracket that holds my cateye rear light and clips into a topeak seat quickclick connector on a ergon saddle.
Light Bracket.png

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I use tinkercad mainly but I'm doing a course on Fusion 360

I bought a Creality Ender 3 as a budget entry level - but then went a bit nuts with modifications

2021-09-20 20.58.46.jpg

2021-10-01 09.22.19.jpg

2021-10-02 14.01.44.jpg

2021-09-20 21.02.37.jpg

2021-09-23 12.18.58.jpg

Current mods :-
Logitech C270 webcam on custom mount
Raspberry pi 4 running octoprint for remote printing and webcam monitoring
Ikea Lack custom enclosure with perspex sides to help keep the heat in
LED lighting
Printed drawers for all the little tools like files and parts like roller bearings, nuts and bolts
Dual Z axis upgrade
Direct Drive Upgrade
Customised "Bullseye" cooling fan duct
CR Touch auto bed levelling sensor
Spool holder
Temperature gauge
Filament runout sensor
TP-Link Kasa webcam as a backup that I can view remotely if I get called out to work
(and I can remotely shut down the printer from Octoprint)

I must admit I got a bit carried away but it keeps me busy and the printer is now twice as fast as original and "just works" every time where I was getting some issues with snapped filament and stuff with the original setup :D

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I've been printing custom Fox fork fenders recently based on a design I found on Thingiverse. I've been doing a good bit of 3D printing over the past few years and I still find that material options limit significantly what we can make for bike applications. Even brackets and mounts in ABS, PLA, or Nylon/Flex don't generally perform as well as purpose-built injection molded parts.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I've not had any problems yet - the PLA stuff I've printed is seriously strong

But mudguards and things are tricky - they need a bit of flex too them really. But for brackets I can't fault it

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
A cable exit port insert for non driveside of Turbo Levo SL alloy, you'd sell one for every SL alloy thats been sold out the door..

samohtr

Jul 24, 2020
St Albans
Nice set up, I have an ANET A8 and Ikea Lack tables and Pi with octo print. It's in the garage at the moment as I needed the space (or the wife did).

We have an Ultimaker 2+ and 3 Extended at work along with a Form2 resin machine. Waiting to get a Fuse nylon SLS machine to round out the collection.

Fusion 360 is great, you can even do proper threads on it and extrude from svg files (logos galore). If you have any questions on CAD feel free to ask, happy to help.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I print at home in PETG for most bicycle parts but for parts that need to be really strong I send it to Shapeways for nylon SLS. Here is a pump mount I made for my Levo SL (PETG on Prusa Mini)

20210824_100815_resized.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles