• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered 35mm stem to 50mm

Cseven

May 25, 2021
Seattle
I converted my Kenevo expert from a 27.5 to a mullet setup. This shortened my reach by about 40mm. I put a 35mm stem on it and was wondering if changing from 35 to 50 would drastically change how my Mtb rides? If so in what ways?
Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
a 29" wheel only raises the front axle by 19-20mm so to shorten your bikes reach by as much as 40mm you'd have had to fit a much longer axle to crown fork as well. And in doing so you'd have slackened the bike's H/A considerably and raised the bike's bar height and BB height.

ie. in which case you've already drastically changed how it rides.

i wouldn't be worrying about the difference in handling between a 35mm stem and 50mm stem. 50mm stems steer fine on slack bikes. But generally when you up the travel (and fork axle to crown length) on a bike in order to retain a lot of it's handling traits you'd also ideally want to lower the stem/bars by 2/3 to 3/4 of the increase axle to crown length. and in your case at least another 15mm lower again to offset the 19-20mm increase in front axle height.
Whether your bike even came with enough spacers below the stem to lower the bars sufficiently I wouldn'y know. But if not a set of lower rise bars is probably your best solution.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles