3 inch Phone as a EMTB Bike Computer

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I've been using my Pixel Phone, running the Shimano ETube Ride App, blue toothed to my Shimano motor, as a bike computer. It works really well, giving motor, heart rate, and ride statistics. It also directly links to Strava as well.

But when I'm on really technical trails, it gives the phone a hammering, and I've also made contact with the phone in a fall, so I'm very worried about damaging the phone.

So I've been looking at Garmin Bike Computers, which are much smaller and lighter, but they are quite expensive, and not all the motor data comes through.

So I did some research and found this little 3 inch screened phone, and got it for AUD$47 on Aliexpress. I'll put the Shimano ETube Ride App on it, and mount it on my Stem mounted Quad Lock mount.

I actually have a work sim card that I will put in it for data, but I guess you could hotspot it to your phone, if you didn't want to get an extra sim.

Thought I's share this here, and I'll post updates on how it all goes. It due for delivery in 5 days.

1721825434607.png

1721825521772.png

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Will be interesting to see if you can update to Android 14, so you can run updated apps. I use an old Pixel 4XL with a mapping app that doesn't need data to work that I upload gpx route files to, but my main phone is tucked away safely. It's also got Google (offline) maps loaded so I can use their app when need be.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Will be interesting to see if you can update to Android 14, so you can run updated apps.
I'm really just going to use it on the bike, and the Shimano Apps only require Android 7 or higher. The phone comes with Android 10 and Blue Tooth 4.1, which should be fine.

From the ETube Ride App site.

1721863263738.png

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Well it turned up and I am suitably impressed. Nice little unit to use as a bike computer. I used a proper quad lock attachment, that uses my stem screw to hold it down, and with the phone being so light. I bounced the bike quite violently and no movement at all.

1722496919863.png

I put the Shimano ETube Ride App on the phone and it connected perfectly. I also connected my heart rate monitor and it also connects nicely, so I get all the data coming through. It showed my heart rate at 65bpm. Range of battery at 70km. And also showed the bike in 4th Gear.

1722497125759.png

Trailforks installed nicely and the GPS worked nice. Google Maps works well too.

1722497337614.png

And when I'm riding on the road, and no danger of damaging my Pixel 8. I can use the Pixel for maps, and the 3 inch phone for Ride Data.

1722497552662.png

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
How is the battery life? The reviews say it’s pretty poor.
I got the XS16, which has the larger 2000mAh battery. With the screen on full brightness and the Shimano App running. I went through about 50% of the battery in 3 hours. So it will last about 5hrs at full brightness. But I also have a 10,000mAh battery that I can quad lock on the spare quad lock mount, so I could charge whilst I was riding.

That said. The 2000mAh battery should cover 95% of my riding. And I only do really long rides on gravel roads. So I could just use the Pixel 8.

Keep in mind. The point of this phone is to act as a bike computer on technical terrain, where I don't want to damage the Pixel. I won't be using it as a phone when on a ride. I'll have the pixel in a pocket.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles