2021 Trek Rail 9.8xt

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
I have a rail XTand Ive uprgraded the brakes to XTR and want to upgrade shifting from XT to XTR but cannot find a rear cassette 1051t for my race face carbon wheels. Anyone have a line or an alternative that will work?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I have a rail XTand Ive uprgraded the brakes to XTR and want to upgrade shifting from XT to XTR but cannot find a rear cassette 1051t for my race face carbon wheels. Anyone have a line or an alternative that will work?
Seriously you do not want to put an xtr cassette on an ebike.
By all means put on xtr shifter and derailleur if you want but keep the xt cassette.
It just does not make economic sense to put expensive cassettes on ebikes.
Just my experience ?

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
Seriously you do not want to put an xtr cassette on an ebike.
By all means put on xtr shifter and derailleur if you want but keep the xt cassette.
It just does not make economic sense to put expensive cassettes on ebikes.
Just my experience ?
My concern is the shifting, Im not expierienced enough to know what I can swap in etc. My 2021 copperhead is ALL XTR and it shifts smooth and perfect the rail has XT and it shifts like a box of umbrellas falling down a staircase. but if i can run xt casette with xtr gear thats a problem solved.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would be surprised if you could tell the diffenrce between XT and XTR if both set up correctly and you did a blind test. I run XT with an SLX cassette which personally I find to be the best in terms of durability/cost/performance on an EMTB.

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
I would be surprised if you could tell the diffenrce between XT and XTR if both set up correctly and you did a blind test. I run XT with an SLX cassette which personally I find to be the best in terms of durability/cost/performance on an EMTB.
You may right but the trek's shifting fresh out of the shop sucks XTR shifting is perfect. All I have to go on.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
You may right but the trek's shifting fresh out of the shop sucks XTR shifting is perfect. All I have to go on.
I would day if you ebike is shifting as bad as you say, there is a problem somewhere.
As previously said you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in shifting performance between, xtr, xt and slx. You are just paying extra for lighter weight as you go up the range.
If you are not confident with setting it up, take it to a dealer and let them look at it, it could be something bent somewhere, or just not set up properly.
When set up properly it will shift as smoothly as your copper head?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles