2021 Cube Stereo 160 TM Clunk sound?

Chris525uk

Nov 9, 2020
Birmingham
Hello all,

firstly sorry if this is a repeat but not really sure how i can search for my problem. Anyway...

So i have a problem with a clunking sound when i turn full left to right. I found this out when i was invisiframing my forks and as i was turning the forks to apply the protection i realised loudish clunk... i think its around the headset area. I do realise these bike seem to have a headset problem but this is a 2021 model and im not actually sure what the head set problem consists of / symptoms of a bad one.

anyone have an idea before i go to my LBS?

So - turning the handlebars left to right makes a clunk.

Cheers

Chris525uk

Nov 9, 2020
Birmingham
Thank you! I was aware of headset stuff but didnt know it was for the 2021 as well. I also didnt know what the symptoms were of a bad headset.

what happens if i leave it? I only get the clunk sound when i basically have the handle bars parallel to the top tube so in real life riding i dont hear or feel it...

Oldrider

Jan 26, 2021
Adelaide
Thank you! I was aware of headset stuff but didnt know it was for the 2021 as well. I also didnt know what the symptoms were of a bad headset.

what happens if i leave it? I only get the clunk sound when i basically have the handle bars parallel to the top tube so in real life riding i dont hear or feel it...
First, make certain that the noise isn't a cable clunking inside the frame. If you're certain it's coming from the headset, and this is only an educated guess, (I'm not a bike mechanic) there may be movement between the headset cup and the frame. As this is occurring when the bike is stationary and under no load, it can only be worse when the bike is in use and under significant load. That you can't feel or hear it when riding is probably because of the noises created by the motor, drive train, tyres, etc.
Like yours, my wife's initially only made the noise with the bars parallel to the top tube. but it only took a couple of hundred Km's for the creak to be noticeable when riding on relatively smooth fire trails. If you're riding on single tracks, downhill or at mtb parks you'd probably be too busy to notice it. Bottom line here is, if left, this may damage the frame.
I thought of going down the warranty path but the headset in the 140 race (race = the cheapest model) was rubbish and as they'd only replace like with like I decided to replace it with a better headset at my own expense. The logic being that a $170 AUD headset was good insurance for a $5000 AUD bike.
I've looked at the spec on your bike and it looks to be considerably better than my missus' 140. It may be that the headset on yours is a better unit (definitely a different brand Acros instead of FSA) so in your case I would be having a chat to your lbs, especially if you purchased the bike from them.
Hope this helps.

Chris525uk

Nov 9, 2020
Birmingham
Nice one mate, thanks for getting back to me. Yeah you are right i guess the best thing to do is just take it back to my LBS. it is a bit frustrating i thought all this headset stuff would of been sorted with the 2021 model as they are using the new acros headset. I mostly ride trails so I wouldn’t of noticed it however if riding on the streets i still dont notice it. But i will get it checked as its warranty work at the end of the day. If that fails looks like im buying better headsets!

Thanks again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles