2021 Cube 140 hpc race rear shocks oil leak help

Daprince

Jan 11, 2021
Mission Viejo, CA 92691, USA
Hi guys, please help.. I just noticed an oil leak on my 140mm Rockshox Deluxe Select 185mm x 55mm rear shocks. And the sag also went up from 25% to 40% . It was so early for it to have an oil leak because I have only ridden my bike a couple of times. I'm just an ordinary trail rider. I don't do jumps or anything. I asked our local bike mechanic here and told me to just clean it and observe after a few rides and bring it back to him if it will still continue to have an oil leak. Do you think I should have it serviced or just replace it with a new one? I got frustrated so I am thinking of replacing it with Fox component. Any recommendations on what Fox rear shocks should I get that will fit? I am also thinking of upgrading my 140mm fork to Fox 160mm fork. Will that work? Any recommendations on what type of 160mm Fox fork or any brand should I get? Thanks in advance.

Attached is the picture of my rear shocks.

20210926_183328.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Don't panic, there is no cause for alarm.

Many of the shocks I've had leaked a bit of oil at the start. I was usually given the advice that it will stop after a while. "What, like when it's empty!" was my reply. But they were correct; it did stop and my shocks did not empty out and they continued to work perfectly. When they were eventually serviced by professional agents, no problems were found. When I got them back they never leaked again. I concluded that they had been overfilled at the factory.

As for the sag increasing, there could be many reasons for that. Why not just add some more air to reset the sag and ride your bike. Be aware that every time you check the pressure you lose air. So don't check the pressure, check the sag. Use a consistent method for checking the sag, not sitting bolt upright one time and leaning forward the next. Always do it when weighing the same as you do when fully kitted up to ride. I normally check just before a ride. Edit: Not before every ride, I don't even check that often, I go off how it feels.

Last edited:

Cocodrilo

Apr 13, 2021
C0c0dril01962
Hi guys, please help.. I just noticed an oil leak on my 140mm Rockshox Deluxe Select 185mm x 55mm rear shocks. And the sag also went up from 25% to 40% . It was so early for it to have an oil leak because I have only ridden my bike a couple of times. I'm just an ordinary trail rider. I don't do jumps or anything. I asked our local bike mechanic here and told me to just clean it and observe after a few rides and bring it back to him if it will still continue to have an oil leak. Do you think I should have it serviced or just replace it with a new one? I got frustrated so I am thinking of replacing it with Fox component. Any recommendations on what Fox rear shocks should I get that will fit? I am also thinking of upgrading my 140mm fork to Fox 160mm fork. Will that work? Any recommendations on what type of 160mm Fox fork or any brand should I get? Thanks in advance.

Attached is the picture of my rear shocks.

View attachment 72521
Hola. Yo llevé mi bicicleta a las 2 semanas a mi mecánico. Desmonto amortiguacion delantera y la suspension delantera completamente. Eliminó la grasa que traen las barras de suspension y el POCO aceite que ponen en la cadena de montaje ( segun dicen por problemas de presion en los tranportes) .
Todo limpio, con aceite nuevo me hicieron un buen setting y parecia otra bicicleta diferente.
Yo no he tenido fugas, tambien he de decir que las suspensiones son FOX.
Espero que os ayude.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
What Steve said and whoa slow down.
you don’t want to increase travel without understanding what it will do to head angle and if you’ve only used the bike a few times definitely get used to it before blowing money on fox stuff.
I‘m 1200 miles in since March as my skill is definitely still the limiting factor ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles