2020 Orbea Wild FS owner here... hi everyone!

pedroyap

Jun 1, 2021
California
New to eMTB and just got a 2020 Orbea Wild FS and had a couple of rides on it. Liking this eMTB very much.
122A7E17-9F2C-4516-9357-165B59A43A29_1_105_c.jpeg

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’ve had one for a few months now, been an experience for sure, a good one! If you can though maybe avoid the Rockshox 35 as I find them really stiff compared to other forks, sizing wise I’m find it’s one up also.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I’ve had one for a few months now, been an experience for sure, a good one! If you can though maybe avoid the Rockshox 35 as I find them really stiff compared to other forks, sizing wise I’m find it’s one up also.

I've got money down on a H10 that I will pick up next week when I have the rest of the cash. Sizing... something I'm freaking out about a little bit. I rolled around the car park on a Large, I'm 181cm, and it felt fine. But that's rolling around the car park. The reach number is basically the same as my last ebike, Commencal Meta Power Race 29 2019. And I didn't feel that bike was too short. But a lot of the reviews are saying the reach is too short. Some aren't - for example the Loam Wolf. They're saying it's versatile because it's not crazy long. And they were spot on with everything on their review of the Commencal I had. My last non-ebike was a Knolly Fugitive with 22mm more reach at 477mm. It didn't feel too long really, but I was little stretched for tight stuff. I could live with it happily. But the ebike is a lot heavier.

I'm freaking about the reach. But I can't really work it out either way. It's funny on Bikeradar they did a test including the Orbea and knocked it's short reach, then in the same test they said the Mondraker was too long wheelbase-wise - but it was longer only because of it's longer reach. Can't win.

It also strikes me that for hoisting the front - which I've found very difficult on every ebike I've ever owned - more reach is bad.

Looking more into the reach question in general - I note a lot of Pros do not use these long reach figures. Sam Hill for one. My feeling is for tighter stuff it's not helpful, and where I am in Brisbane we have a lot of tight stuff. And I think a Large at 455mm reach is longer than bikes used to be, just not as long as they're getting now. Has the pendulum swung too far? I really don't have a facility to try a bigger model. Sizing up on this model would be a no-go as dropper length would be shit.

I was originally looking at a Sam2. But I rolled around the car park on one and it was quite clear it's an Enduro sled. Too full on for my local trails, there'd be nothing really to challenge it, and it felt like a barge. I thought the Orbea is a nice compromise - still longer travel (that I've had) and ultra capable but more back in the All Mountain camp. I think it's like the Merida e160, which is a very similar bike, at least on paper. And super popular.

Reach - I'm torn about it. But I think I might be on the right track with the Orbea.

Last edited:

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Are you able to test ride a S/M bike? At 181cm you're comfortably in Large territory and outside of the recommended S/M range, so I'm not sure that sizing down would suit you. I'm on a Large myself at 175cm. I'm comfortable in the cockpit, but admittedly hoisting the front end is much harder than any other bike I've ever owned (either in size Large or Medium). I definitely would not suggest an XL frame.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I've got a large wild fs, I'm 177cm tall.

If I were you I'd be looking at an xl not the l.

Size l is fine for me, but I reckon it maybe a bit small for you but it's all just personal preference.

Some people say to go slightly smaller on an ebike compared to a normal bike, because an ebike is inherently more stable by virtue of its weight so you don't need extra length, I don't know if that's right or not.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Are you able to test ride a S/M bike? At 181cm you're comfortably in Large territory and outside of the recommended S/M range, so I'm not sure that sizing down would suit you. I'm on a Large myself at 175cm. I'm comfortable in the cockpit, but admittedly hoisting the front end is much harder than any other bike I've ever owned (either in size Large or Medium). I definitely would not suggest an XL frame.
No I'm quite sure smaller wouldn't be right, I'd end up in a situation when I'm unstable because I'm perched on the thing Mario kart style. What's your standard stem length? geometrygeeks.bike reckons it's 55. I didn't pay too much attention when I tested.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I've got a large wild fs, I'm 177cm tall.

If I were you I'd be looking at an xl not the l.

Size l is fine for me, but I reckon it maybe a bit small for you but it's all just personal preference.

Some people say to go slightly smaller on an ebike compared to a normal bike, because an ebike is inherently more stable by virtue of its weight so you don't need extra length, I don't know if that's right or not.
The XL actually wouldn't work for me because of the seat tube height - I'd be on a horribly short dropper and have a seat in my backside over jumps, down steeps etc. I actually do agree the ebike is inherently more stable, for sure. I'd love to try different reaches on the same bike back to back on the trail, it'd be so good. Not going to happen in Brisbane sadly. Just have to theorise, which is nuts on an $11K purchase :(

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
The Loam Wolf's review, is quite glowing, and definitely highlights the bike as what I'm after, reach wise as well.

Still freaking a little about it though lol. I would HATE to need to put a longer stem in. But I don't care about shorter either.

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The Loam Wolf's review, is quite glowing, and definitely highlights the bike as what I'm after, reach wise as well.

Still freaking a little about it though lol
It does ride really well. It's fast downhill, faster than my 2018 yt capra 27. 5 in most circumstances.

I don't have a problem lifting the front, if anything it feels a little bit hard to get the back end off the ground.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

Still freaking a little about it though lol. I would HATE to need to put a longer stem in. But I don't care about shorter either.

I concur with @Mteam get the XL, I’ve been through this myself but after I bought the L, I end up riding with the balls of my hands on the bars during flats without realising like the bars should be an inch or two further away!

Ive also tried an XL and I slotted in fine, I’m 180, it belonged to another 180cm chap also

The Wild is a good bike, very fast DH but I find it’s not the easiest to turn compared to stuff like Cubes with 27.5 wheels, if I was to buy again would it be the rise instead of a one sixty, not sure really...atm I might be buying a L Orbea Rise but it has the extra 20+mm reach so hopefully it fits okay, I’ll try before I buy this time

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Haha in the comments of that vid:
Great video. I’ve pre-ordered a 2021 Wild FS largely on the strength of this review. I’m 5ft 11 & cannot choose between a L & XL. I’m worried about the short reach on the large, but don’t want an overly long bike for the tight trails I spend 90% of my time riding. What do you think? Demo rides are not available in my area currently.

Their response:
Right on congrats! if you mostly spend time on tighter trails, we'd say go with the Large. It'll be a solid choice for all but the fastest, steepest and wide open terrain. We always say pick the best setup for the most common riding you do.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I might head back to the shop today and have another look and a roll around, see what else they have to compare. I know they have Jam2's there and that was on my hit list but I don't like the DPS and it seems like choices to replace it are limited.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
No I'm quite sure smaller wouldn't be right, I'd end up in a situation when I'm unstable because I'm perched on the thing Mario kart style. What's your standard stem length? geometrygeeks.bike reckons it's 55. I didn't pay too much attention when I tested.
I'm running a 35mm long stem. For what it's worth, my RAD measurement on the Large Wild ended up exactly the same as on my Medium Wreckoning (w/50mm stem).

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
All right, I went back to the shop and parking lot tested again. I'm going with the Large. Leaning it right down under me and carving tight circles on concrete was about the best I could do, and I think longer would make that harder. Brisbane trails are a lot of that kind of stuff. I'm sure at real high speed 20mm more reach would be better. But there'll be plenty of occasions the 455mm it has will be better. It's very flickable, and that's important, for our trails.
That's IT! NO MORE OBSESSING ABOUT IT NOW... lol
Oh and I reckon I could add 20mm with a 10mm longer stem and rolling the bars forward if I really find I have to.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
All right, I went back to the shop and parking lot tested again. I'm going with the Large. Leaning it right down under me and carving tight circles on concrete was about the best I could do, and I think longer would make that harder. Brisbane trails are a lot of that kind of stuff. I'm sure at real high speed 20mm more reach would be better. But there'll be plenty of occasions the 455mm it has will be better. It's very flickable, and that's important, for our trails.
That's IT! NO MORE OBSESSING ABOUT IT NOW... lol
Oh and I reckon I could add 20mm with a 10mm longer stem and rolling the bars forward if I really find I have to.

what I did many months after was join fb Orbea wild groups, if you search in those there’s first time buyers asking the same question and something like 8/10 at 6ft were saying XL and that the wild is weird with their sizing...

but like you say you can make it longer perhaps, for me I tried seat all the way back, swapped my 35mm back to the original stem and it’s still not quite right, actually my mechanic friend assessed me on it and said it was too small...

That said it still works ofc so either way I’m sure it will be a lot of fun

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I'm running a 35mm long stem. For what it's worth, my RAD measurement on the Large Wild ended up exactly the same as on my Medium Wreckoning (w/50mm stem).
Following up on this - stock stem per Orbea is 50mm on L and XL frames. I'm running the shortest aftermarket stem I can to try to shift my weight a little further back.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
you can fit a reach adjust headset like these from superstar components , which will give you an additional 5mm of true reach (ie increases wheelbase, not just move the bars further away ) , which may make a positive difference to you guys who just need a bit more space. Its not a massive increase, but might be useful for a small outlay of cash.

Reach Adjust Headsets (workscomponents.co.uk)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles