Kenevo Gen1 2020 Kenevo won't turn on

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
Hi guys,

I searched but didn’t see exactly my symptoms so I thought I’d ask.

My 2020 Kenevo (couple months out of warranty now correction, I bought in August 2020, 1 month warranty left?) has an issue.

I took it for a ride. Got on, turned it on and the lights came on like normal. Started to ride and the moment the motor would have kicked in for the first time, the controller shut off. Full dead, cannot power on.

Battery is fine

Furthermore, bike doesn’t go backwards easily, like theres an issue in the motor engagement with the cranks. A juttering resistance.

So I can ride it, even pedal backwards, but no pushing backwards and the controller is dead off, can’t turn on or connect mission control.

All happened after turning on and cranking the pedals once then kaput.

Ever hear of this symtom? Something stuck or am I hosed? Timing is perfect for the warranty to expire :(

Last edited:

CalebDC

Jul 17, 2024
San Diego, CA
I would take your bike to your nearest specialized dealer for warranty before you are out of luck. It sounds like you have two separate symptoms. First of all, no ability to roll the rear wheel back is a sign of a blown belt inside of the motor as it has jumbled inside of the casing allowing for no movement of the actual drive interface. Backpedaling is another system separate from your drive belt. Your other issue should be narrowed down to your electronics. I like to start with the simple fix of cleaning your connectors between your battery and motor. That has solved some issues for me in the past. Otherwise, I could take the controller off the top tube and plug it in to charge. I have had displays which can die as the battery in the controller either dies or loses charge which prevents the bike to turn on. Any specialized dealer should be able to help you. Godspeed!

Vitamindimo

Feb 20, 2020
Oregon
Hi guys,

I searched but didn’t see exactly my symptoms so I thought I’d ask.

My 2020 Kenevo (couple months out of warranty now correction, I bought in August 2020, 1 month warranty left?) has an issue.

I took it for a ride. Got on, turned it on and the lights came on like normal. Started to ride and the moment the motor would have kicked in for the first time, the controller shut off. Full dead, cannot power on.

Battery is fine

Furthermore, bike doesn’t go backwards easily, like theres an issue in the motor engagement with the cranks. A juttering resistance.

So I can ride it, even pedal backwards, but no pushing backwards and the controller is dead off, can’t turn on or connect mission control.

All happened after turning on and cranking the pedals once then kaput.

Ever hear of this symtom? Something stuck or am I hosed? Timing is perfect for the warranty to expire :(
DId you ever figure out the problem? I've been having similar issues and I think it's due to a bad power cable between motor and battery.

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
Stand by.

I got shockingly lucky. I'm 6-8 weeks before the 4 year warranty expires. It's in the shop, but need a few weeks because it's the busy season for Specialized.

CalebDC

Jul 17, 2024
San Diego, CA
Stand by.

I got shockingly lucky. I'm 6-8 weeks before the 4 year warranty expires. It's in the shop, but need a few weeks because it's the busy season for Specialized.
I have had a warranty approved 48 days after the 4 year period. After your shop has submitted a warranty claim 10-14 days after the submission, a specialized rep can handle the case on the phone. Ask for your shop to call them and they can handle the case faster than 6-8 weeks. Specialized has 1500+ service cases currently.

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
Short follow up, Specialized told my LBS that my 2020 Kenevo does not qualify for the 4 year warranty, only 2 year. they claim it was because the bike was "manufactured before the coverage was extended to 4 years". Apparently doesn;t matter that it was bought 2 months after the memo was released (at a time when bikes were impossible to get, I don't know how it was mfg before...)

I have a case# to followup with specialized, but it's been tough to find enough time during Spec's hours to call in, I just missed them today, they close at 4. Will try agian next week to find out what the deal is.

The memo attached to this forum didn't mention that "only certain 2020 kenevo" were covered, so I'm a little confused how I could end up in this position.

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
Next Update, a call to Rider Care, they can not answer why claims deemed my bike as not applicable to the 4 year warranty. They say they can only read the conclusion the claims department made, re-iterated that my 2020 Kenevo had a 2 year warranty only (no explanation from them). They said they can not tell me why my bike has only a 2 year warranty.

They referred me back to my LBS and said if I disagree with claim's conclusion I can only ask my LBS to talk to claims, as they only interface with bike shops, not consumers.

So, back to LBS I go. Hoping for a better explanation why my 2020 Kenevo doesn't count from the memo!

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Doesn’t matter when the made it , the 2020 model has a 4 year warranty! Mine was the 1st batch in the Uk and had 4 years ! I’d call spesh again and ask to speak to someone higher who can help 👍

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
Got a final answer back. Apparently it does. Shop meant the mfg date was too "late", not too "early".

Specialized is saying the bike I bought in August 2020 was a model year 2021, thus does not apply to the 4 year warranty they announced 1-2 months earlier.

I must have gotten super 'lucky'. My LBS charged me the 2020 price and I have a coil shock. I can't find any other difference online between the 2020 and 2021. But the claims guy is insisting my bike is a 2021.

Last edited:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Just call another spesh store and give them the frame number, they’ll tell you what year model it is 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles