2020 CUBE AT free hub replacement help.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
So my 500 mile AT developed a creak under load, it appeared to becoming from the rear end. After swapping out some components from a friends identical bike it became apparent its the fee hub.
The free hub removes from the wheel via a circlip under a dust cover.
I need to order a replacement but after googling the part needed my small mind has given up and I have reverted to drinking more beer :(
I cant find anything resembling the part I need and am unsure if I have to buy the complete free wheel and hub requiring a wheel rebuild :unsure:
Hopefully some nice educated chap can help me purchase the free wheel unit needed :)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think your bike uses Newman wheels...presumably also hubs. The freehub is probably the Shimano Microspline which is made by Shimano plus a few other brands that are licenced by Shimano. Probably best to contact a Cube dealer/lbs and get them to order the part for you.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Newman wheels and shimano xt hubs. Its a Shimano spline i will see if i can google a schematics of the part needed (y)

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Its a common problem with the Shimano XT hub, mine didn't creak...it just 'froze' I've only got 300 miles on mine.
Following the tech docs I was able to pull the freehub off and re grease and so far has been ok.
I spoke to the shop where I bought mine (AT as well) from and let them know, and they said that if it goes again they'd replace it under warranty, but lack of stock is the issue

The part you need is for a replacement is this Shimano Deore XT FH-M8110 Freehub Body but like a lot of things there's no stock.

There's a thread on here discussing it multiple XT M8100 hub failures

On the last page it seems to suggest an SLX freehub is a direct replacement as well.

Tech docs if you want to pull yours apart https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/dm/MAHB001/DM-MAHB001-09-ENG.pdf

Reactions: mak

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Its a common problem with the Shimano XT hub, mine didn't creak...it just 'froze' I've only got 300 miles on mine.
Following the tech docs I was able to pull the freehub off and re grease and so far has been ok.
I spoke to the shop where I bought mine (AT as well) from and let them know, and they said that if it goes again they'd replace it under warranty, but lack of stock is the issue

The part you need is for a replacement is this Shimano Deore XT FH-M8110 Freehub Body but like a lot of things there's no stock.

There's a thread on here discussing it multiple XT M8100 hub failures

On the last page it seems to suggest an SLX freehub is a direct replacement as well.

Tech docs if you want to pull yours apart https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/dm/MAHB001/DM-MAHB001-09-ENG.pdf
Thank you that is very informative, I did actually pull mine apart and reassemble and the noise has gone but thought I would buy one for when it comes back. Much appreciated on the information (y)

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
A bit silly but a complete SLX hub is cheaper than just the freehub alone yet the freehub is identical

Maybe an option to just pull that off and replace your existing one if it happens again

And another video in english

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I've managed to order a complete hub with free wheel from some obscure shop in Germany. That hole thread you linked me to is an eye opener, 9 pages of my creaking noise and even worse the free wheel locking up o_O . I'm surprised there hasn't been any problems posted on hear with regards this problem.
I am going to strip my old one back down even though the noise has gone after I reassembled it and pack out the plastic toothed spacer with the correct grease as per shimano update.
I think I will look into a completely different hub option for the future .

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think there has been another thread about the Shimano Microspline hub failing.........and there is nothing you can do to fix it. I have seen a couple of videos about servicing the freehub, one going a bit further than the video above where he wisely left the 2 springs etc alone. Seems a hopelessly over engineered freehub to me, especially when the HG pawl hub is such a simple and effective design, and easy to maintain ( accepted it is no good for 12 speed but who really wants or needs 12 speed)

Last edited:

Worthy

Aug 25, 2020
Caerphilly
This happened to me, I thought it was the motor at first as the clicking was very loud. I stripped it carefully and put it back together but it came apart again within 100 miles so I stripped it again greased all up then opened up the circlip as wide as I could without damaging it. Put it back together and it’s been perfect for over 900 miles.

Reactions: mak

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Well, I had a vain hope that my freehub was now 'good', unfortunately that was misplaced.
Out on a ride today it was playing up again. It would seize (noticed by the motor freewheel being activated) and after pedalling again be 'ok', only to seize again, then if freewheeling fast it made a grinding sound for a few revoloutions.

I'm going to contact the shop from where I got the bike (80 miles away from my home) and discuss warranty options. I think I'm going to try for a replacement non Shimano 12spd hub as I don't think I would be confident of a new freehub not failing again, even if it means having the wheel rebuilt by a local bike shop.

A friend of mine has a 2019 Cube Hybrid 120 and is already on her 3rd XTR freehub.

As @mak has found in the thread I linked to above, there are loads failing and as far as I can recall, these are on non assisted bikes so maybe a poor choice for a ebike.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Let me no what hub you go for when you change, i will do the same when my new one fails.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
At the moment I have an SLX hub on order (that I linked to earlier) as I need the bike for the weekend.
I have spoken to the shop and asked if I can have some form of refund for the hub I'm buying.
They're going to speak to Madison as they seem to think that they should have some freehubs in stock which is doubtful as the XT one I linked to is still out of stock and has been for over a month.

If/when this one goes poop, I'd like either a Hope Pro4 or a DT Swiss, preferably the DT Swiss as then I won't have to buy another rear brake rotor as well. The Hopes are only available with a 6 bolt rotor mount.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
How did you get on with slx hub delivery ? I have a new shimano hub on the way so I can rob the free hub off when it arrives . My old hub is fine and creek free at the moment after filling it with there recommended grease bodge.

To be honest the only failure I see on this free hub is the plastic / nylon spacer with the fingers on it to reduce back lash, these disintegrate and become week and brake off.

I couldn't get mine back on because a lot of the little fingers had become deformed and week so I just sniped them off until I could actually insert the ring into its location.

I have looked but cannot find a part number for this item.
I might just buy the hole wheel and hub configuration that's on the new 2021 AT to save bothering with a wheel rebuild and new hub but after looking even that's not an obvious purchase (y)

The locking clips that are oval in shape that keep the hole free hub from dismantling are also a bit odd and not to be trusteed but I guess with the wheel in it shouldn't come out.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
I'll answer the 'fingers' part first. The original ones were black, but after a while they would disintegrate into the hub causing obvious problems. The were re-designed in the current creamy coloured material which is supposedly better.
A link to buy one is here Shimano Deore XT FH-M8110 Rear Spacer
but yes you guessed no stock!

The SLX hub came on Wednesday so a quick delivery service from Freewheel (which is (I think) the public outlet for Madison).
Took the freehub assembly and springs out and compared them to what was in my XT hub.

The inner spring with the hook on, was distorted on my hub, and there was evidence of scoring on the hub face where the hook locates into. I think that maybe at some point the hook disengaged and was rotating within the system instead of staying still. It could be due to there not being the black plastic 'slider' being present between it and the freehub assembly. This part was not there when I had my original problem, and I had thought that I had lost it on disassembly, but never found one either on my workbench, nor on the floor despite scrabbling around for half an hour looking for it!

The new SLX parts including all the springs, seals etc. were put into the XT hub, The 'fingers' are a little tricky, but if you carefully wiggle it as you slide it in (ooh er!) it will drop into place. The cassette was refitted and wheel put back on the bike.

On freewheeling, there is now a faint buzzing sound (like a normal one would) and is present all the time when freewheeling.
My original one was intermittently buzzy then completely silent buzzy etc. After my original problem it was completely silent with no buzzing at all when freewheeling.

I was out today at Cwmcarn and did the Twrch, Cafall and the newish blue jumpy trail and it was great. No creaks, no slips, no seizing.

My faulty freehub is now in the hands of the bike shop, so just waiting to hear from them as to Madisons verdict.

Just an FYI the 2021 wheels are a 30mm (inner width) where the 2020 is a 35mm.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Glad you got sorted, a wealth of knowledge as always on these cube bikes and much appreciated for the information (y)

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Just a final update to my issue with the XT freehub.
After sending the faulty freehub to the shop (from where I bought the bike approx 80 miles away) it got sent to Madison.
Madison then asked for pictures of the model number on the hub body and of the inside of where the freehub fits.

Madison came back (via the shop) and said that they would send out a new freehub, but there wouldn't be any stock until sometime in July. Instead to get it resolved quicker, they would send a complete new hub, of which stock was due into the UK in June.
So their plan was once the hub came in, send my wheel off and they would complete the swap over. As I was so far away and didn't fancy posting the wheel, I asked if the hub could be sent to me to swap over myself. Fortunately they agreed.

After reading about the latest Shimano factory closure in Malaysia, I was expecting even further delays, so was pleasantly surprised when I got an email on Thursday saying the hubs had been delivered and one was being sent out. This I received on Saturday (3rd July).

With this new hub, on spinning the freehub, there is a well defined ratchet noise, and you can feel the engagement. With my original hub (even with the SLX freehub) it was faint at best.

The SLX parts I'll keep 'just in case'

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
How's the hub going
MrPeaski ?
400 miles on my new slx hub and its creaking :confused: , I cant be arsed to buy another and i also cant be arsed stripping this one down for a grease only to last another 300 miles. My bike is an AT 2020 140 model with Newman rims , would you have a suggestion of a decent hub to by that allows me to keep the shimano cassette and original rim and spokes ?
I will just get a capable bike shop to rebuild my rim with the new hub and hope they no what there doing :rolleyes:
Not fussed on price I just need this issue gone. I cannot believe there is not more posts on this problem .

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Hey @mak , that's a shame that your has gone again.
I got a complete new XT hub under warranty on 4th July as detailed in my last post. Due to various things I didn't get the wheel rebuilt with it until nearly the end of July.
With new work commitments, I've only been out on about 4 rides totalling around 70 miles so it's not really had much of a long term test.
What I will say though is that I have more confidence in it lasting as it now sounds like a hub should with a constant buzzing sound on freewheeling. The rides I have done involved a good deal of steep climbs and fast descents so hopefully it'll be able to last.

As for a replacement for you, I think trying to mate a new hub with your existing spokes may limit your choice to either the same but newer hub, or lots of research into hub flange spacing, diameters etc to find something that will mate to what you have.

Another alternative is a complete wheel with a hub /rim of choice, maybe from Hope, DT Swiss etc?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Thanks for your input as always much appreciated . I will say my new free wheel had a nice constant buzzing also unlike the original. Unfortunately it still failed. I hope yours is a good one.
I will look into a new wheel and hub assembly to fit my bike as it would seem less hassle. More money but at least its a quick fix (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles