2019 vs 2020 Powerfly 7

Deadeye

Oct 6, 2019
Florida
I test rode a 2019 Powerfly today. I did like the EMTB mode. However did not like the super low gearing of the front chain ring. I prefer the overall smoothness of a Turbo Levo Comp I tested but wondering how much better the 2020 Powerfly is since they increased size of the front chain ring. Anyone ridden both?

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
I test rode a 2019 Powerfly today. I did like the EMTB mode. However did not like the super low gearing of the front chain ring. I prefer the overall smoothness of a Turbo Levo Comp I tested but wondering how much better the 2020 Powerfly is since they increased size of the front chain ring. Anyone ridden both?

In my opinion a better comparison would be the new Rail and the Levo. I had the Levo on my shortlist. Geo was fairly similar, but components for the price was not to the Levos advantage.

The Rail has a 34T front chain ring ring you could swap if you’d like.

Besides that you get the new Bosch gen4 motor.

preedy62

May 1, 2019
UK
I've bought a 2020 Powerfly 7 and have been riding the Gen3 motor on a CUBE Reaction The new motor is better as the transition at 16 mph is far less noticeable. The battery is also increased from 500 to 625 Wh so longer rides and the new 12 speed gives a better range of gears as I was always hitting the max speed at about 28mph due to spinning out. Not yet used the big gear 51t. (y) I'm enjoying the streamlined look with the integrated battery. :cool: I don't know about the Levo so can't give an opinion.
I'm certain you'll enjoy either.

Keep pedalling!

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
It seems to me that some Powerfly 2020 models (both hardtail and FS) use old Gen 2 motor, while some use the Gen 4. I’ve found this rather confusing but perhaps Trek have a huge stock of older motors they need to somehow sell.

All Trek “Rail” bikes 2020 use the new Gen 4

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
I've bought a 2020 Powerfly 7 and have been riding the Gen3 motor on a CUBE Reaction The new motor is better as the transition at 16 mph is far less noticeable. The battery is also increased from 500 to 625 Wh so longer rides and the new 12 speed gives a better range of gears as I was always hitting the max speed at about 28mph due to spinning out. Not yet used the big gear 51t. (y) I'm enjoying the streamlined look with the integrated battery. :cool: I don't know about the Levo so can't give an opinion.
I'm certain you'll enjoy either.

Keep pedalling!

Have you tuned the bike to remove the limiter or are you pedalling manually to hit 28mph?

If tuned, would you mind sharing what solution you used as there is a lot of info out there implying these 2020 Bosch models aren't tunable due to anti tuning software.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand

The 19 powerfly is not that low geared,it has a small chain ring with steep up gear set(small 15t chainring turns 2.5 times to one of the crank so same as a 37t) I have a LT9 and would prefer to have lower gearing than standard.
I think the 2021 powerflys have the new gen 4 motor not the 2020 one's, could be wrong though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles