2019 Turbo Levo - Advised to replace linkage plate??

Joss

Hi,
Just had a call from Edinburgh Cycles (from whom I bought my Levo) advising that Specialized have issued an advisory recall, or whatever you might call it, to have a linkage plate replaced if you ride in stony or rocky areas. Something about preventing or limiting the chance of cosmetic damage to the seat tube. Has anybody else heard similar? Not sure I can be bothered with the faff as I'm not overly precious about my bikes once I've started riding them in earnest. Only slight concern is that they're disguising another flaw or potential problem.

Thanks.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Thanks for the information! I am curious about the details.

@Specialized Rider Care, can you please inform us about the details of this recall running change?

Thanks @Maastricht - firstly this is not a recall, it's a running design change we made in December 2018 in response to a cosmetic issue we learnt about from early field reports. We shared this technical bulletin with retailers in February and we're really happy to hear (as mentioned above) that they are reaching out to riders and inviting them to drop in for a part change.

After launching our all-new Turbo Levo in September 2018, we had a handful of riders reporting cosmetic damage to their mylar/paint when small stones/gravel became trapped between the rear shock-link and seat-tube. In the pursuit of constantly working to improve the rider experience, we made a small adjustment to the shock-link which increases the clearance without compromising overall stability, ultimately resulting in reduced risk of potential cosmetic damage to the paint on the seat-tube. This replacement shock-link (S194300001 - comes pre-fitted with bearings) is intended to be fitted together with a partnering mastic patch on the seat-tube. (The mastic patch is part of a revised frame protection kit (S199900066) that comes with the bike, however any suitable mastic patch can generally be fitted to the seat-tube).

The replacement shock-link part is offered free of charge via retailers to all 2019 Turbo Levo owners & we strongly recommend it to riders who are heavily riding in gravel / stony areas. Please note that this change was made in production on a running-change basis and all bikes that were shipping from early December 2018 onwards feature this updated shock-link. Naturally it depends on local stocks & which bikes retailers have in stock, however we believe that the vast majority of these bikes are bought and being ridden. You can check the pictures below to better understand whether you have a pre or post-December bike.

1554903271374.png

Last edited:

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Thanks @Maastricht - firstly this is not a recall, it's a running design change we made in December 2018 in response to a cosmetic issue we learnt about from early field reports. We shared this technical bulletin with retailers in February and we're really happy to hear (as mentioned above) that they are reaching out to riders and inviting them to drop in for a part change, this is what we asked them to do and what we believe our riders deserve.

After launching our all-new Turbo Levo in September 2018, we had a handful of riders reporting cosmetic damage to their mylar/paint when small stones/gravel became trapped between the rear shock-link and seat-tube. In the pursuit of constantly working to improve the rider experience, we made a small adjustment to the shock-link which increases the clearance without compromising overall stability, ultimately resulting in reduced risk of potential cosmetic damage to the paint on the seat-tube. This replacement shock-link (S194300001 - comes pre-fitted with bearings) is intended to be fitted together with a partnering mastic patch on the seat-tube. (The mastic patch is part of a revised frame protection kit (S199900066) that comes with the bike, however any suitable mastic patch can generally be fitted to the seat-tube).

The replacement shock-link part is offered free of charge via retailers to all 2019 Turbo Levo owners & we strongly recommend it to riders who are heavily riding in gravel / stony areas. Please note that this change was made in production on a running-change basis and all bikes that were shipping from early December 2018 onwards feature this updated shock-link. Naturally it depends on local stocks & which bikes retailers have in stock, however we believe that the vast majority of these bikes are bought and being ridden. You can check the pictures below to better understand whether you have a pre or post-December bike.

View attachment 12825

Thanks for the clarification! I just checked my bike. (as a precaution I already added some clear protective 3M tape)

IMG_7488.JPG

My bike is from July 2018, so it still has the old design. I think I ask my LBS to exchange it next time when I am at their shop.

Now we are talking about gravel and stoney areas, I had more issues with some small grid already which became stuck in this area. Especially as the rear end moves, small grid in between this red marked area can result into bigger issues from my perspective:
IMG_7491.JPG

Is there an official Specialized solution to protect this area too? Besides the solution (€69,00 + VAT + €13,20 shipping) from:
Engine protection Levo Carbon 2019 : Levo Range Extender
Levo 19 Crud Cover - EMTB Forums

Thanks for your proactive support!

Last edited:

Joss

Thanks @Maastricht - firstly this is not a recall, it's a running design change we made in December 2018 in response to a cosmetic issue we learnt about from early field reports. We shared this technical bulletin with retailers in February and we're really happy to hear (as mentioned above) that they are reaching out to riders and inviting them to drop in for a part change, this is what we asked them to do and what we believe our riders deserve.

View attachment 12825
Thanks for clarifying, and so quickly too! Apologies for using the phrase "advisory recall" - not really knowing the proper terminology, I added the "advisory" in the hope of implying that this wasn't a fault or a recall in the more ominous sense.
I suspect my bike is pre-December (likely ex-display), despite having just bought it, as it doesn't carry any of the other running mods. However, it's all mud around here so I may elect to leave as is, possibly putting some protection on the seat tube similar to the mastic patch.

Thanks again.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Thanks for clarifying, and so quickly too! Apologies for using the phrase "advisory recall" - not really knowing the proper terminology, I added the "advisory" in the hope of implying that this wasn't a fault or a recall in the more ominous sense.
I suspect my bike is pre-December (likely ex-display), despite having just bought it, as it doesn't carry any of the other running mods. However, it's all mud around here so I may elect to leave as is, possibly putting some protection on the seat tube similar to the mastic patch.

Thanks again.

Hi Joss,

"I suspect my bike is pre-December " -> there must be a sticker with the manufacturing date at the bottom side of the top tube just above the rear shock. Here you can read exactly where and when it is produced.

Joss

Thanks again.

Hi Joss,

"I suspect my bike is pre-December " -> there must be a sticker with the manufacturing date at the bottom side of the top tube just above the rear shock. Here you can read exactly where and when it is produced.

July 2018 apparently. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles