2018 Turbo Levo shifting...

Levo77

Oct 25, 2020
Lisburn
I’m a the newbie from last week.. Anyway, the gear shifting on my Levo is atrocious!! I know nothing but have been into motorcycles all my life and have a little mechanical knowledge.. So, changed gear cable and indexed gears (as best I could with limited experience) New chain, no difference.. Bought Sunrace Mx8 cassette, cool but still awful! Today, bought and fitted SLX derailleur because the SRAM NX was so wobbly on the B bolt I thought that was the problem.. No real improvement.. All that’s left is the GX shifter.. Do they give bother? Could it be moving too far, too little? Am I just doing the set up all wrong?? I’m getting a little fed up now.. Most of you peeps seem to have sublime shifting.. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.. I haven’t been on a forum for years!! Should I admit defeat and take it to a LBS?? I want to understand.. Bicycles are not rocket science... This problem is really getting to me... ??

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Assuming you have checked that the cassette, chain and derailleur are all compatible, it would help others to provide some advice if you described exactly what the problem is............I'm afraid "terrible" does not give anyone any real clues!!
Given the changes you have made it would perhaps be good firstly to check your components.
1. Is the cassette a suitable/compatible replacement for the original?
2. Is the chain compatible and is it the correct length?
3. Is the derailleur compatible?
4. what is the condition of the chain wheel?
5. Is the cable free running and not restricted and is it connected correctly to the derailleur?
6. Is the derailleur hanger straight?

If all of that checks out OK it should then just be a matter of set up/indexing.

Levo77

Oct 25, 2020
Lisburn
Assuming you have checked that the cassette, chain and derailleur are all compatible, it would help others to provide some advice if you described exactly what the problem is............I'm afraid "terrible" does not give anyone any real clues!!
Given the changes you have made it would perhaps be good firstly to check your components.
1. Is the cassette a suitable/compatible replacement for the original?
2. Is the chain compatible and is it the correct length?
3. Is the derailleur compatible?
4. what is the condition of the chain wheel?
5. Is the cable free running and not restricted and is it connected correctly to the derailleur?
6. Is the derailleur hanger straight?

If all of that checks out OK it should then just be a matter of set up/indexing.
Sorry to have been vague.. One click on shifter doesn’t always change one gear, sometimes two, higher gears.. Chain jumps, rattles, and doesn’t properly engage on various gears.. Items I have changed;
1. Clarke gear cable inner. (Running free)
2. SRAM PC-X1 11speed chain (118link)
3. Sunrace MX8 11-40 cassette
4. Shimano, SLX long cage derailleur
Are these parts compatible?
Is it just my ham fisted set up?
Can the GX shifter give bother/wear?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I quote: ".... One click on shifter doesn’t always change one gear, sometimes two, higher gears. ..."

I would suspect the limit screws need adjusting.
An alternative is a sticky wire inside the outer cable. It could be muck, or you could have stepped on the wire when you were assembling the whole thing.
My favourite LBS guy told me once that new cables sorts most poor shifting problems. I wouldn't go that far, but I get the sentiment.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I cannot help in terms of whether all those parts are compatible. You could start by eliminating the cable and shifter. Disconnect the cable from the derailleur and operate the derailleur by hand on a workstand. With no cable attached it should run in the highest gear. Adjust the high limit screw until it starts to want to change to a lower gear then back it off to run smoothly on the highest gear. Then push the derailleur by hand to move through the gears. Hold it at the lowest gear and set the low limit screw. Next check the b limit screw clearance (check out a yt video for Shimano b screw setting).
Now set the cable adjuster knurled knob on the shifter to a middle position and attach the cable to the derailleur using a little tension. Make sure all cable ferrules are fully seated.
Now try your shifting. If 1 click does not quite change to next gear unscrew the knurled knob on the shifter a quarter turn. If it tries to change more than 1 gear screw the adjuster in a quarter turn.

Levo77

Oct 25, 2020
Lisburn
Thanks for the replies..
I think I might have found the problem... My attempt at indexing may well be the issue ??‍♂️
I put the bike in top gear and released the screw on the derailleur holding the cable.. The derailleur then moved out a little further.. So I guess I pulled the cable too tight and was actually holding the derailleur under tension in the incorrect position.. I’ll start over and try to get it sorted properly.. Everyday is a School day.. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles