Kenevo Gen1 2018 Kenevo Expert Rear Shock Options

richie_Kenevo

Apr 23, 2022
New Brunswick
Hi Everyone!
had my bike for a few years and now doing some jumps in the 10-18 foot gap and 3-6 ft drop range. The Ohlins rear shock does pretty good for normal trail riding but when I am doing jumps and slightly miss my target and end up hitting my bottom bracket on the ground several times a week. It's hitting so hard that I almost come off my bike once in a while. I have done the same jumps on my Santa Cruz nomad and the Rock Shox ultimate coil was buttery smooth if I landed or cased anything. All shock settings are dialled in for my weight - sag at 25% rebound and compression set up. As I mentioned the little stuff like roots and 1-foot drops are great, just anything bigger and the shock feels terrible and literally I go through all the travel and bottom out as my feet and shins hurt on a few hits a week.

I am running the right spring rate at 600 lbs with me being 211 lbs. It just seems like this shock is not doing what it's supposed to do. Any recommendations on rear shocks that will fit? The Trunium is an annoying factor coupled with the odd sizing of the shock limit options. I debated going to a heavier spring but was not confident that would solve the issue.

I read several posts and threads on Levo but the sizing was not the same and then there are all kinds of 2020+ gen Kenevo's.

Any help would be appreciated.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I don't know the strengths and weaknesses of the various shock brands, but I can suggest that you have your current shock serviced. It may be that the oil control valves are getting tired.

I sent my EXT to the US service center and the tech said that it had significant wear. It's about 3 years old.

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
When was it last serviced? Get a firmer compress tune fitted when it's in next.
Get the gold DH valve for another click of HSC.
Fit a progressive coil spring.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Get it serviced and tuned for your weight and riding.

richie_Kenevo

Apr 23, 2022
New Brunswick
Thanks, guys. I appreciate that and will look into a local tune and service. If I wanted to get a new rear shock with a longer spring like my SC Nomad, do you have any suggestions on where to find a Trunnion shock with similar dimensions? The Gen 1 shock length is a bit on the odd sizing 216 x 57 or 65 mm. It's very uncommon it seems.

Last edited:

richie_Kenevo

Apr 23, 2022
New Brunswick

richie_Kenevo

Apr 23, 2022
New Brunswick
Gen 1 kenevo isn't a trunion shock?
No, I thought it was from the shape of the Xwing and my misconception. I never took the shock out but another post by CjP said, "The specialized shock block fitted to work with the standard shock yoke". So not sure how that works. Can anyone tell me what needs to be done since I cannot buy a new shock it seems without having this block.

Does anyone have any links to info on the block and how it can be transferred to another shock?

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Progressive coil spring, damper tune to add more compression damping (you've already got one of the best shocks, just needs tuning). BB height is aggressively low particularly if you are not running the plus size tyres it was designed for. Mullet mod really helps pick the BB up and slacken it out, rides really nicely after this (need 29" lowers and new front wheel). eBikes land hard so you might need to up the spring rate compared to an analogue bike.

richie_Kenevo

Apr 23, 2022
New Brunswick
Progressive coil spring, damper tune to add more compression damping (you've already got one of the best shocks, just needs tuning). BB height is aggressively low particularly if you are not running the plus size tyres it was designed for. Mullet mod really helps pick the BB up and slacken it out, rides really nicely after this (need 29" lowers and new front wheel). eBikes land hard so you might need to up the spring rate compared to an analogue bike.
Those are all great points, appreciate the feedback and information. This site and the people on it have been amazing to chat with.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles