2.3mm CL rotor/disc compatible with shimano steps?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I'm looking at some Magura brakes, they're meant to use a 2.3mm thick disc. Magura recommend a minimum thickness of 1.8mm.

My XT Ice Tech discs are only 1.8mm when new (and they're not new).

I've been looking around for some replacement discs that are 2.3mm thick, Centerlock fitting AND have the magnet (or space for a magnet) to work with the shimano ew-ss301 speed sensor on the Orbea Rise.

The only contender that I've uncovered so far is the Magura MDR-P but I'm not entirely sold on the design. Ok, they look the part but I'm seeing a lot of feedback relating to noise and axial play between the carrier and the brake disc so looking for alternatives.

I'd prefer to avoid using a CL to 6 bolt adaptor if I can.

I've seen a Shimano lockring that has a magnet built in but it looks like it's only compatible with a different type of speed sensor (ew-ss302) so that's no good.

There are plenty of options for 6 bolt hubs but buying new wheels seems extreme.

Anyone got any ideas?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Just use a separate magnet, something like this

Or this

Just double check it puts the magnet in roughly the right place for your frame, Then you can use any rotor you like.

I've just got a set of trp r1 centerlock rotors to use with my magura mt7 brakes on my trek fuel exe , they seem good, and merlin were selling them for 15quid each.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Cheers MTeam.

That's the Shimano lockring that I'd seen. I don't think it's compatible with the Rise though. Rise uses ew-ss301 sensor and the lockring is meant for the ew-ss302 sensor. I think from looking at it, the magnet will be too close to the centre of the rotor for the speed sensor to pick up on it.

I'd seen the Tektro adapter too but read a couple of reports
Just use a separate magnet, something like this

Or this

Just double check it puts the magnet in roughly the right place for your frame, Then you can use any rotor you like.

I've just got a set of trp r1 centerlock rotors to use with my magura mt7 brakes on my trek fuel exe , they seem good, and merlin were selling them for 15quid each.

somewhere saying that it didn't work. End of the day, I guess it's only a tenner if it doesn't. Well, a tenner and a new brake disc 😂

I'd also spied the TRPs cheap on Merlin which is what sent me down this rabbit hole 😂 might give them a go with the Tektro magnet thing.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Cheers MTeam.

That's the Shimano lockring that I'd seen. I don't think it's compatible with the Rise though. Rise uses ew-ss301 sensor and the lockring is meant for the ew-ss302 sensor. I think from looking at it, the magnet will be too close to the centre of the rotor for the speed sensor to pick up on it.

I'd seen the Tektro adapter too but read a couple of reports

somewhere saying that it didn't work. End of the day, I guess it's only a tenner if it doesn't. Well, a tenner and a new brake disc 😂

I'd also spied the TRPs cheap on Merlin which is what sent me down this rabbit hole 😂 might give them a go with the Tektro magnet thing.
I'm using the tektro magnet on my fuel exe, it works fine on my bike, but I appreciate it may not be the same for the rise. Id be tempted to try that tektro magnet and if it didn't work, hacksaw it and cable tie it to the disc In the right place.

SendyNinja

Aug 31, 2021
Australia
I'm looking at some Magura brakes, they're meant to use a 2.3mm thick disc. Magura recommend a minimum thickness of 1.8mm.

My XT Ice Tech discs are only 1.8mm when new (and they're not new).

I've been looking around for some replacement discs that are 2.3mm thick, Centerlock fitting AND have the magnet (or space for a magnet) to work with the shimano ew-ss301 speed sensor on the Orbea Rise.

The only contender that I've uncovered so far is the Magura MDR-P but I'm not entirely sold on the design. Ok, they look the part but I'm seeing a lot of feedback relating to noise and axial play between the carrier and the brake disc so looking for alternatives.

I'd prefer to avoid using a CL to 6 bolt adaptor if I can.

I've seen a Shimano lockring that has a magnet built in but it looks like it's only compatible with a different type of speed sensor (ew-ss302) so that's no good.

There are plenty of options for 6 bolt hubs but buying new wheels seems extreme.

Anyone got any ideas?
I'm in same boat looking to replace a 203 rotor. Have you had any luck?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I'm in same boat looking to replace a 203 rotor. Have you had any luck?

Nope, not yet.

I read various things on various forums with many people saying they've had no issues using Shimano rotors with Magura calipers so was going to give that a go.

Looks like you just need to advance the pistons out a bit and they're fine.

Apparently.

I guess if you bleed them with a 1.8mm rotor fitted they should adapt.

I think the Magura MDR-P is probably the front runner for 2.3mm. It's either that or glueing a magnet onto something else which just seems a bit ropey. There's plenty of things on an ebike that can leave you stranded mid ride. Magnets with glue shouldn't be one of them!

My Magura dreams are on hold hold currently. Partly due to cost and partly down to wanting to try better/ different pads to see if they sort my issues. I'm not 100% convinced that the caliper is leaking now. Time will tell.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles