1x8 or 1x11

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
I'm curious what experienced e-bikers have to say about the relative merits of the EX1 1x8 versus a 1x11 drivetrain. Is the ex1 really turning out to be a lot more reliable or long lasting? Is a 1x11 mtb drivetrain too wimpy for an e-bike?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Key thing most people are finding on Emtbs is the chain takes way more abuse and is probably the most critical drivetrain component, and can break and excessively wear if you are brutal with your shifting

Since last year, when ex1 came out, there are now lots more ebike specific/compatable/optimised components, eg the new Sram Eagle NX 12 speed groupset. Sram also now offer shifters that only shift one gear at a time, which originally the ex1 groupset only had, as an option across their range, which helps prevent doing multiple shifts under power and overstressing the drive train.

I have never ridden ex1, and my bike runs Shimano XT with no problems, but I wouldn’t say that one bike having EX1 makes it a better choice than another bike with good components that might suit you better in general specification

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles