1up Heavy Duty

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
Anyone have a 1up Heavy Duty? It's not clear but it sounds like there is nothing to keep the wheel from rolling off the end when you're putting it on the rack, until you swing up the end brackets, so it can be a little tricky to put on the rack by yourself. Edit: I guess you could just swing up the front end bracket to the vertical position. Not sure why or the views didn't think of that.

Also the tray spacing is apparently only 9", which is really small, although I know it's tiered. Do you have problems with clearance with two bikes?

That aside, my other big concern is the lack of a hitch pin. Several people have mentioned that it's gotten loose with travel. Some people use a cable lock to secure it to the vehicle I guess.

At any rate, I'm down to getting that or the RockyMounts Gigawatt, which my local dealer has. My main issue with that one is the weight, the 1up is much lighter and folds up.

Last edited:

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
We have the previous version Super Duty rack (75 lb. rating each tray) that we’ve used without issue for six months to carry two Fuel EX-e bikes. I think it’s the same as the previous ‘Heavy Duty” version except with reinforced trays. We had to buy the 1Up to replace a nice Kuat rack in order to clear a trailer tongue. We’ve used it on a Sprinter van and a Honda minivan.

The bikes are easy to load/unload - easier with two folks but my 120 lb wife can manage it alone. No problem fitting two bikes facing opposite directions. We do use a Velcro strap to help secure the back of the front wheel to the tray to reduce some minor wobble, and the bikes appear very stable driving. The rack itself seems more rigid than our Kuat.

Like you we were also concerned about the wimpy hitch pin. We added an anti-rattle/anti-wobble U-bolt clamp to stabilize the rack in the receiver as we do with all our attachments. Tightening this after the knob that tightens the ball insert makes for a solid, secure setup. We’ve checked the ball knob when traveling and have never seen it loosen (unlike the Kuat ball knob).

The 1Up hitch pin has a lock, but it can be snapped off by knowledgeable thieves. For this reason we add a cable lock at trailheads to at least discourage or slow them down.

So far we’re super happy with the 1Up rack. Overall we like it more than previous Thule and Kuat racks we’ve owned.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
We have the previous version Super Duty rack (75 lb. rating each tray) that we’ve used without issue for six months to carry two Fuel EX-e bikes. I think it’s the same as the previous ‘Heavy Duty” version except with reinforced trays. We had to buy the 1Up to replace a nice Kuat rack in order to clear a trailer tongue. We’ve used it on a Sprinter van and a Honda minivan.

The bikes are easy to load/unload - easier with two folks but my 120 lb wife can manage it alone. No problem fitting two bikes facing opposite directions. We do use a Velcro strap to help secure the back of the front wheel to the tray to reduce some minor wobble, and the bikes appear very stable driving. The rack itself seems more rigid than our Kuat.

Like you we were also concerned about the wimpy hitch pin. We added an anti-rattle/anti-wobble U-bolt clamp to stabilize the rack in the receiver as we do with all our attachments. Tightening this after the knob that tightens the ball insert makes for a solid, secure setup. We’ve checked the ball knob when traveling and have never seen it loosen (unlike the Kuat ball knob).

The 1Up hitch pin has a lock, but it can be snapped off by knowledgeable thieves. For this reason we add a cable lock at trailheads to at least discourage or slow them down.

So far we’re super happy with the 1Up rack. Overall we like it more than previous Thule and Kuat racks we’ve
Thank you very much. I saw some mention of those u-bolt clamps but can’t visualize how they are used.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
IMG_0785.jpeg

Very effective. $10-15 on Amazon.
This one even offers colors to match your bike 😄

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles