1st EMTB Advise

Boysee

May 21, 2021
UK
Hey there everyone,

1st post on here so be gentle he he :)

Just getting into MTB and would like to hear what everyone’s thoughts are on which EMTB would be best to start with. Budget is 6k.

I would like to buy something that is a good all rounder and versitle, so I don’t need to buy another bike in 12 months time

Would be doing most of my riding at Swinley and some cheeky rides after work locally around Maidenhead.

I have managed to secure stock of a YT Decoy Shred but worried it’s too much bike for me/Swinley but it has received rave reviews on MBR.

i know the YT website indicates it’s more for gravity riding but was hoping as it’s an Ebike it could do everything.

Was also thinking of a Specilised Levo comp but can’t find stock easily

hope you can all share your thoughts and what you think or any other bikes I should consider.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Can't speak to the YT Decoy Shred, but the Specialized Turbo Levo Comp is certainly a versatile all-arounder. If you're new to mountain biking, your level of aggression will probably be better-matched to the trailbike geometry of the Levo Comp (this is of course MY'21 and earlier; MY'22 isn't out yet) than the enduro geometry of the Decoy.

Big thing to note is that the Levo Comp is a 29'er, while the Decoy is a mullet. You really need to test ride them .

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
YT is a great bike company, but get their all-arounder, not a downhill-focused model. I'm not familiar with the 'shred'. I also think everything they have slated for this year is sold out. Gotta check with them. I actually went there and demo'd a Decoy with shimano drive - the CF one, just excellent.

Same for the other 'big-3' - spesh, trek, and giant - go for their standard mtb. I'm not sure what trek's downhiller is, but spesh is the kenevo and giant is the reign. For the latter, a Trance or Stance are just outstanding values - I have one of each.
The Turbo Levo is a very good bike, get the up-model alloy though, not the base. The upgrades you get are worth more than the upcharge.
Trek Rail is a good option - whatever you can afford.

29 vs 27.5 is not as much of an issue on a ebike. A 29'r rolls over obstacles a little easier, they probably climb a bit better, but assist negates all that. Same for low weight - just not as much of an issue when you have assist to push you up the hill anyway. A lighter bike is a little more lively for the downhill, but carbon fiber bikes are more fragile and cost WAY more. For example, Orbea Rise in CF - $10g's. Levo SL, nice light bike, but the CF one is mega $$, and I thought it was under powered and lacking in range. Hardcore pedalers seem to really like them though, they are most like a pedal-only mtb.

I prefer Fox suspension over Rockshox. YMMV

Try as many as you can stand, or are available. It's pretty slim pickin's right now, has been since the pandemic.

Other good brands worth considering...Norco, Pivot, Santa Cruz (Heckler), Commencal, Canyon, Cube, perhaps even Canondale. The more modern the geometries and technologies are, the more they cost. All of these bikes start at about seven grand I think.

Personally I got hooked on the yamaha drive - it's bulletproof and very good power. Yamaha is now building their own brand of bikes, surely worth a look if you can find one. And you might still find a Haibike with yamaha assist as well, not sure what they're doing this year.

Good luck and let us know what you find. (y)

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
The Turbo Levo is a very good bike, get the up-model alloy though, not the base. The upgrades you get are worth more than the upcharge.

His referenced Levo Comp is that non-base, still-alloy-but-up-market model you're advising here. I concur that it's very much worth it to opt for it over the base model.

Yamaha is now building their own brand of bikes, surely worth a look if you can find one.

Careful about the YDX-Moro. 1) The geometry is out of the norm (VERY LONG chainstays + laid-back seat tube angle), and 2) they are effectively making only every other size (i.e. their "Small" is everyone else's XS, their "Large" is everyone else's XL).

I mean, it might work for some people. It might even work for a lot of people. But it isn't yet (read: it's not popular), and its approach is far from "safe".

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles