• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

1st buying an emtb, asking technical support

sportsman88

Jul 12, 2024
Budapest
Maybe you can help me,
1. Basically, I would buy it for sports purposes, I have already rented emtb several times and I like that I turn off the engine several times and, as an exercise, ride it uphill as long as I can, my heart rate increases, my legs feel good, it feels good, etc. Then when it's enough, I turn the engine back.
I see emtbs' with Bosch cx gen 2, 3 as opportunities to buy - However, I noticed that the first chain plate on the bosch gen 2 and gen 3 is small, the ratio is not 1:1 (and in principle here it is also important to drive the engine gear with force), and in principle, as I read, it is more difficult to pedal up with them when the engine is off. What do you think? I rented a Haibike sduro hardnine 3.0 hardtail emtb with a yamaha engine 70Nm 2020 and the ratio was 1:1, the front chainring was of normal size and the pedaling was pretty good when turnin OFF the motor both uphill and on horizontal trekking terrain. Is it easier to turn off the 1-1 chainring?
2. By the way, the other topic is that the yamaha motor seemed quiet to me, while the Bosch gen 4 cx motor was noisy in comparison.
3. In terms of maintenance renewal, can Yamaha also renew? Because I know Bosch has an excellent service background.
Thanks in advance,

CalebDC

Jul 17, 2024
San Diego, CA
Looking at your first question, the gen2 bosch motor system will not have as much drag as you think. The smaller front chainring is a result of the internal gearing. Part of the reason for the switch from that chainring to the newer system is industry standards. Using the same/similar components as "normal bikes" allows for more part availability and service life. In my experience, I do not notice as much of a drag in the system compared to a mechanical fault. Where something like a worn chain, improper lubrication or disc brake rub is more noticeable than the motor itself. In my experience, the gen4 bosch motor is quieter than the yamaha. In a higher cadence, the yamaha might beat the bosch motor but I can say for certain. I have only dealt with the yamaha warranty a few times which was not neccesarily a bad experience but the bosch warranty is practically the gold standard. Bosch is very reliable and simple to work with for warranty cases.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles