1L Shimano Mineral oil, where's it all gone?

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Decided to do a lever bleed on the bike today after it has been hanging up for a while (it pulls close to the bar and is a bit spongy).

Used the same Comma LHM mineral oil that I've used before without problem.
Started with the back, removed the wheel and took out the pads. Bleed block in and connected everything up and purged the red Shimano oil out of the system (didn't want to mix them) as I've done many times before. closed the bleed nipple, nice firm lever.
Re-fitted the bleed screw into the lever, bleed block out, pads and wheel back in and gave the lever a couple of pulls to re-set the pads.

Thing is now when the lever returns, its definitely a bit slower than it was (and the untouched front) and the very last part has a tiny jolt as if it gets stuck for second.

No probs, I thought, it obviously doesn't like this oil, so I'll just get the proper stuff. Thing is I can't seem to find any of the larger 1L bottles anywhere, only the piddling little 100ml ones which are silly money for the size.

Any body know where I can get a 1L bottle from?

Brakes are Shimano XT 8120's

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Thanks @mark.ai

R2-Bike are not shipping to the UK (Brexit?)
All that I can find on Ebay is the over inflated 100ml bottles...Conveniently displayed next to a 1L bottle as if 'evidence' its the genuine article.
And I had tried Bikegoo before posting but can't add it to the basket... if you do a search on their site it doesn't show up
I might give them a call later.

I had tried my LBS (via their website) but its not stocked.

Did another search late last night with little luck, only turned up a couple of Euro websites, looks like they'd ship to the UK, but they advise it might attract customs fees!!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Thanks @mark.ai

R2-Bike are not shipping to the UK (Brexit?)
All that I can find on Ebay is the over inflated 100ml bottles...Conveniently displayed next to a 1L bottle as if 'evidence' its the genuine article.
And I had tried Bikegoo before posting but can't add it to the basket... if you do a search on their site it doesn't show up
I might give them a call later.

I had tried my LBS (via their website) but its not stocked.

Did another search late last night with little luck, only turned up a couple of Euro websites, looks like they'd ship to the UK, but they advise it might attract customs fees!!

Ouch what a pain :)

Here's a link to one on Ebay - but it's expensive! Shimano Disc Brake Hydraulic Mineral Oil 1L 1 Litre Bottle BRAND NEW - UK STOCK | eBay

I searched for "shimano mineral oil" and see a few 1 litre or 1000ml ones if I scroll down far enough, but they are all at high prices ...

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Thanks @mark.ai
Found a similarly ridiculous price on Amazon coming from Italy, with the delivery it was nearly £55.

Called Bikegoo and they are out of stock

Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get one of the 100ml bottles to sort my mistake out and hope that the stupid pricing and availability changes so I CAN get a bigger bottle. :rolleyes:

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Thanks for all the suggestions, got a couple of 100ml bottles on the way from ebay and a fancy do it all bleed kit to replace the ageing syringes I'm currently using

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
I suggest the best synthetic oil this side of a military aviation spec with a VI well above 400 and almost the consistency of water, you guys suggest baby oil ?

Come on guys they're literally like chalk and cheese.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles