Levo Gen 2 180mm upfront

Rawks92

Nov 13, 2020
England
Are there any frame limitations I should be aware of before changing the fork on my 2021 levo to a fox 38, 180mm?
I have already changed rear wheel to 27.5, fox dhx coil, but I want less flex and more travel upfront. Someone put the shivers into me by saying the increased angle puts strain on the headset etc

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hmm thats pushing the bike well beyond its original design intent, I would be wary of going to 180mm up front for how it will effect the bikes handling more than breaking the bike. Also I doubt you would notice the difference between 170mm and 180 day to day in terms of suspension feel, but you definitely would notice the effect on the geometry.

I would go 170 upfront and see how you get on, as you can always extend the fork later

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I tried that - couldn't get hold of one. By reducing the rear wheel size, and increasing the front, is it not reducing the strain? Is original design 150MM? as the design hasn't changed has it?

I would think the opposite. You're creating a super slack head angle and a longer "lever" that would create a very different force on the headtube. If you visualize the direction of the force through the front wheel, and how that would get transferred to the headtube/frame in the "before" and "after" geometries it will make sense I think.

I guess the key here is that it's not just the angle(s) - it's the impact of the *length* of the fork (much like a longer handled wrench can help you exert a different force).

I've never designed or built a frame, but I've broken plenty of them. That's my only qualification. ;-)

Rawks92

Nov 13, 2020
England
I would think the opposite. You're creating a super slack head angle and a longer "lever" that would create a very different force on the headtube. If you visualize the direction of the force through the front wheel, and how that would get transferred to the headtube/frame in the "before" and "after" geometries it will make sense I think.

I guess the key here is that it's not just the angle(s) - it's the impact of the *length* of the fork (much like a longer handled wrench can help you exert a different force).

I've never designed or built a frame, but I've broken plenty of them. That's my only qualification. ;-)

Yeh I think you're correct. I had the leverage working the opposite way in my head but what you say makes sense. And I think you're actually overqualified by the sounds of that ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles