£160 to wrap a new bike? Waste of cash or??

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’ve just got the Orbea H30 and looking at getting it wrapped, was told that most people do this (at least in that store), cost was £3.7k.

Is this common and worth doing or is it chucking money down the toilet, it’s an hrs drive to the place too

cheers

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Who told you that?
Chap in the shop I bought it from......I guess the benefit would be do you get £150 back in value but no need to stress about the scratching, just means a week without the bike

edit the wrap place is separate to the bike shop

Aug 7, 2020
West Midland, UK
Just do it yourself their charging over double to do it for you and it’s really easy, Just order the kit from invisiframe, someone put a discount code on here yesterday think it was KIT10.

I always do all my bikes, well worth it I feel, stops the stone chips. It does go abit shabby round the edges after awhile as the dirt gets under it. But once removed bike looks like new again.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Just do it yourself their charging over double to do it for you and it’s really easy, Just order the kit from invisiframe, someone put a discount code on here yesterday think it was KIT10.

I always do all my bikes, well worth it I feel, stops the stone chips. It does go abit shabby round the edges after awhile as the dirt gets under it. But once removed bike looks like new again.

Yup it was me. Plenty of tutorials on Youtube and it doesn't look difficult. My first job for the weekend

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Another forum was reckoning you can get your bike powder coated for £50! If that was true you’d just scratch away and then get blasted later on, can’t believe that’s the case

Just to add thanks for the links in the end I was already on route so I dropped it by, I could have done for half price but that said I bet it’s never straight forward, I know what it’s like trying to line up those ruddy phone screen protectors!

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You can get your bike powedercoated for 50 quid (though thats at the low end,, it could cost a bit more depending on where you go, local rates etc), but thats obviously based on you being able to strip it down and build it back up, otherwise you will have to pay your LBS to do that. Mine was 60 quid to do matt black. A full suspension would cost a bit more as they charge more is doing more bits, and obvs a broken down FS bike is more pieces.

As for invisiframe, I like a bit of patina to my bikes so would never bother, but if you freak out about minor scratches etc then worth it.

Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 22.07.15.png

Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 22.13.15.png

Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 22.15.10.png

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
You can get your bike powedercoated for 50 quid (though thats at the low end,, it could cost a bit more depending on where you go, local rates etc), but thats obviously based on you being able to strip it down and build it back up, otherwise you will have to pay your LBS to do that. Mine was 60 quid to do matt black. A full suspension would cost a bit more as they charge more is doing more bits, and obvs a broken down FS bike is more pieces.

As for invisiframe, I like a bit of patina to my bikes so would never bother, but if you freak out about minor scratches etc then worth it.

View attachment 40811

View attachment 40814

View attachment 40815
You see that’s fab! My bikes not getting done until Monday but feel free to find me something in Yorkshire that could two tone my bike, love that effect!

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
there are 2 kinds of people in the world, those that tape their bikes and those that don't see the point.

I'm the second kind. it's a mountain bike, go ride it.

funny way of thinking really unless money is no object....cars cost less yet what do you say then ‘it’s a car, drive it’ then some tit in a super market scratches It, doubt the attitude there will be ahhh it’s a car....

Surely it’s abit of a nonsense to dismiss preserving the value of these bikes given it’s not a car that can just be easily touched up for £30 and it’s a far greater job with the bikes. Loads of guys have spray coated and turned the bikes into their pride and joy, if there happy to damage that then I guess each to their own but I’d be surprised.....personally I’d not bother with a job if I couldn’t preserve it so a spray would need a wrap for me.

will the wrap add it’s value back or near too? Sure it will help, who can argue factory near as dammit isn’t worth £160 and in the process remove all the being ‘careful not to scratch it’ stuff....

Don’t get me wrong Ive seen second hand bikes scratches up and originally I was very much ‘it’s cool to scratch’ shows it’s been used properly!

BUT how easy the cube Matt scratched up with those Thule bars was disappointing and it looks abit naff; so in the end I realised I don’t buy into this ‘it’s a cool scar’ mentality personally; all I see is depreciation and a way to make an expensive bike look like it’s been in the wars more than it might have been.

Like new, very good condition will be likely when I sell one day, without the wrap it will be used...now if it makes zero difference then I’ll accept I’ve wasted some money but I’ll have a little piece of mind at least ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There is no right or wrong, its personal preference, I like the look of a well used and abused bike, I don't think its cool, I just think its a mountain bike and part and parcel of mountain biking is that you bike is going to get banged up no matter what you do so am not overly precious , but equally I get other people who want to keep it looking like the day it came out the factory.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
There is no right or wrong, its personal preference, I like the look of a well used and abused bike, I don't think its cool, I just think its a mountain bike and part and parcel of mountain biking is that you bike is going to get banged up no matter what you do so am not overly precious , but equally I get other people who want to keep it looking like the day it came out the factory.

Is there a case regarding what the paints there primarily to do which is preserve the metal? Not sure as I’m new to bikes but say wood for example, as soon as the paint it compromises it then deteriorates rapidly, sure metal lasts longer and maybe never a problem

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
These guys are not local to me, but they are well versed in doing bikes, and and do fade powdercoats/2 tone etc, their website has lots of info

"1. Steel frames, dipped in an alkaline paint remover then a light blast clean to remove all remaining paintwork and any corrosion and allow for a first class key for prime coat. We do not use any type of acids.
2. Aluminium or alloy frames will be bead or aqua blasted this is less aggressive over blast cleaning and yet it still gives a first class key for the prime coat.
3. Once the blast or bead cleaning stage is completed, the work visually checked over for damage as cracks or broken weld joints.
4. The frame and other parts are placed into our Phosphating and wash plant for final and complete deep clean, the phosphate helps further to etch into the work and therefore will give a far longer life.
5 .Masking off, all the threads and raceways making ready for the primer coats.
6. Apply our zinc epoxy polyester primer coat at an average of 50 microns per coat.
7. Put through the semi curing stage @130d cent.
8. Apply the colour coat of polyester powder and fully cure until both the primer & topcoat have fully bonded to the work.
At this stage, we can apply either a further clear or special effect lacquer coats."

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The powdercoaters I used for my frame where a local firm, but not used to doing bicycles, so I had to mask off all the threads etc myself, as I you don't want the powdercoat screwing up anything - thats why in this picture you see bolts in all the places I didn't want the coating going, like threaded areas - most Powdercoaters will have an assortment of bungs/stops they can put in areas like the headset, seat tube etc. The frame was powder coated with the bolts in, and I just unscrewed them after.

If you are also after a "raw" frame a powder coated can stip it for you, leave it raw or clear coat it depending on what you want.

Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 22.13.15.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Powder-coating is tough, but it will still scratch etc - its the easiest/cheapest way to change the colour of a metal frame, the finish is probably tougher than a lot of brands factory paintwork, but its not a protective coating.

Also it will void you warranty on the bike, not because it damages anything, but thats what it says in the warranty small print.

If you are worried about warranty, you can also wrap a bike like people wrap cars, but it costs a bit more, but of course can be stripped of and put back to OEM.

Couple of people on the Forum have used these guys, and have given great feedback

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Powder-coating is tough, but it will still scratch etc - its the easiest/cheapest way to change the colour of a metal frame, the finish is probably tougher than a lot of brands factory paintwork, but its not a protective coating.

Also it will void you warranty on the bike, not because it damages anything, but thats what it says in the warranty small print.

If you are worried about warranty, you can also wrap a bike like people wrap cars, but it costs a bit more, but of course can be stripped of and put back to OEM.

Couple of people on the Forum have used these guys, and have given great feedback

Just to add, Essential Wraps these guys look great as they work with a quality bike shop who will handle all the stripping down and building of the bike also, the wrap costs £350, they say they design the wrap but I don’t see any options to start with. They send the bike back to you also so all you need is to get it there.

£500 all in perhaps, you could buy the wrap for £80 or so and do yourself after this.....not something I’d invest in at least atm, maybe if I had a top bike that’s had a beating be worth it if I was holding on for a few years.

They advise it ‘should’ last a year....probably them being conservative

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Just a heads up for those considering powder coating, some manufacturers (Trek for example) have a sticker on the downtube with the serial number on it and a note that says "warranty void if removed"

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
powder coat over the sticker. - sorted ;)

Most other manufacturers frame "warranties" are void if you paint the frame

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium

View attachment 40811

View attachment 40814

View attachment 40815
Very nice wrap.

I've been looking around for a long time for wrap/stickers my second battery.
20200926_130556.jpg

And still haven't found anything. It's nearly impossible to get the blue frame colour. So I was looking for alternative stickers but those are nowhere to be found .
Any ideas?

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
I had a nice carbon frame bike done in 2014, still looks as good today with it's invisiframe protection. Had a Vitus E-sommet and couldn't wait to ride it, so did... the paint work was scuffed to shit in a month, & I regretted not getting it done. My Levo was done from new and this what I'll do with any other bike I buy.
I'd don''t care about keeping the bike clean between very intermittent washes (other than keeping suspension and drive train clean), so I'm not all about the image, but that not to say that I want my bike looking crap when I do take the time to clean it up.
Well worth it in my book.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My Invisiframe is 9 months old and really needs redoing if it's to remain effective. I'm not going to bother.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles