Sur-Ron eBike

Owen cobb

Apr 22, 2019
Portsmouth
I know it’s not officially a e mountain bike but I notice this appearing more and more on YouTube. It’s s mix between an e mountain bike and an e motorbike. What’s people thoughts on this. It comes in about the same price as an entry level Specialized Levo turbo at £3995. Not officially allowed on the road in this version but looks like a lot of fun out on the trails.

62BEF589-282E-4CE7-B71D-B50B3A5CFDB5.jpeg

B0EC0A3A-4E99-42D2-A450-EA6E59813DDB.png

6ED0C5EC-EBB9-44BB-B874-5C27C03DF6D5.jpeg

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
For an extra £100 the 'pedals' turn...technically.

Still a lot of fun and a legitimate category but electro mx - totally different to emtb. Although maybe 45 km/h speed limited Sur-Rons will race at Imola in the FIM E-XBike World Cup on Friday? BTW streamed live & free on mxgp-tv

surron_lbx_pedal_kit_on_bike_1080x.jpg

Last edited:

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
The problem is that if bikes like these are taken on public land it won’t be long before we’re all banned.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
The problem is that if bikes like these are taken on public land it won’t be long before we’re all banned.

Idiots will ride them on roads but e-bikes won't be banned, they'll just get arrested. Of course in many places you can register it & ride it on roads no problem.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Just like the junk Chinese so-called pit bikes ... the companines that nmake them don't give a crap where the owners ride them. Have had similar on my club track and kicked them off promptly as they are usually riden by spodes that destroy the trails.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I see tribal differences flaring... why can’t we just get along?

People on foot don’t like bicycles on the trail;
People on MTB don’t like eMTBs on the trail;
People on eMTBs don’t like the e-motorcycles, ... where does it end?

Last edited:

jray17

Sep 19, 2018
California
I’ve got one. It’s so much fun. We have 4 acres and my son (9) and I rip around the property. No noise, no heat, half the weight of a pit bike. You can get a moped plate in CA too. It’s still a dirtbike but it’s the future for sure.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I'm all for getting along, but when one person's behaviour could negatively impact on me, I reserve the right to object.
People on eMTBs don’t like the e-motorcycles...
I don't think that's what you're seeing.

Personally I love these things: I harbour a fond - and completely unrealistic, I accept - hope that some day UK legislators will find a way to accommodate these bikes as a new category, without the need for full road licensing etc. (the road legal one hurts my eyes) - but the fact remains that e-motorbikes, misused, could well have an impact on what we do.

It's understandable that people who recognise this potential threat would want to distance themselves from them. If "getting along" means turning a blind eye to the risk e-motorbikes imply to ebiking, then no. Ignoring it is being complicit with it.

Last edited:

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I'm all for getting along, but when one person's behaviour could negatively impact on me, I reserve the right to object.

I don't think that's what you're seeing.

Personally I love these things: I harbour a fond - and completely unrealistic, I accept - hope that some day UK legislators will find a way to accommodate these bikes as a new category, without the need for full road licensing etc. (the road legal one hurts my eyes) - but the fact remains that e-motorbikes, misused, could well have an impact on what we do.

It's understandable that people who recognise this potential threat would want to distance themselves from them. If "getting along" means turning a blind eye to the risk e-motorbikes imply to ebiking, then no. Ignoring it is being complicit with it.

I see your point KR. Let me rephrase.

What I am saying is that walkers/hikers don’t necessarily like MTBs on the trails and we have a thread on this forum, where eMTB riders were told that they are not allowed on the trail.

So, even without e-motorcycles we already have issues and we eMTB riders are seen as the problem.
I am concerned that e-motorcycles will make things worse and one of these days we will receive sternly worded letters

The fact is that our planet is getting overcrowded, people have more disposable income and will be buying devices that were not available few years ago.

Back to my point, if we all behaved well and got along... we would be in a better place.

We should let senior citizens walk without being squeezed off the road, while we are zooming across the woods. I for one greet people in the woods and make sure that I am not a menace to them. They respond in kind and we all have a grin on our faces.

Sadly, some people are wired differently and behave like they owned the public property, which encourages the regulators to have a look into these matters. And they will not be solving for all of us... they will be solving to protect elderly constituency which feels vulnerable on the trails.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I’d love one. You can get them road legal.

Not for the eMTB trails but if I had the space I’d get one.

Keep looking for woodland to buy.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand

People on foot don’t like bicycles on the trail;
People on MTB don’t like eMTBs on the trail;
People on eMTBs don’t like the e-motorcycles, ... where does it end?

A very good question. I used to walk a bit and had no problems with MTB on dual use trails, but as a MTB rider I used to get real pissed when some grom would come blasting down a walking only trail. Same as on the MTB - I get quite riled up when I come across someone on a MX or pitbike on a MTB only trail. Hell, I was out on a clubs MX track and came across a couple horse riders while I was in the air over a largish jump.

The end is people stopping the disrespect of others and staying in the appropriate area for their mode of conveyance.

As a Mea Culpa - I did exit a MTB trail onto a horse trail when out riding with a youngster. Wasn't until we came across some horse riders and got an earful that we found we were on horse only trails. Was a bit embarrassing, but in my defense, we were following other wheel trails. We immediately got off our bikes and walked them until we found an egress trail.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I’m starting to see them around in places they shouldn’t be, they are going to cause problems for us.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
We have a shop in my town that sell sur-ron , when i Was out riding i meet one of the guuys that have the shop.

We start chatting and then we switched bikes beacuse he havent ride a e-bike before, he was really inpressed that you can have so much fun on a bike.

My inpression on a sur-ron .... well it is crazy fast and it is easy to go to fast but do i want one ? Nah i dont think so.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles