Levo Gen 2 sram derailleur broken- time to upgrade?

MMF27

Aug 4, 2020
Aberdeen
Hi guys anybody seen this before
1199D7B5-8E26-4D35-80AA-3AC85B342944.jpeg

I pedal to the top of the hill, the chain was slipping from on gear to other on small gears.

I stopped, check. Upside down bike and few test. Nothing aside the chain seem a bit loose but nothing to concern

when I started to pedal to go downhill. I felt a crank noise, and next when I saw toward the drive train, the chain and the jokey were tangled and the whole derailleur strip out of the fork. I guess the chain becomes loosed, and got off alignment getting off the jokey and with the torque of the pedalling got tangled and the force literally stripped out the whole derailleur

any way, I have rode 1000 km in about 5 months, so I don’t think I have abused the bike. Yes ok I am heavy (100kg) but don’t think that was an issue with mtb. And the chain will be kore robust

question it is time to upgrade? Anything better than the standsr drive train?
recomendation size and model would be appreciated it
I guess this is not covered by the guarantee?
cheers
M

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
I’ve got one , that looks exactly the same, also trashed three spokes, so needed a wheel build as well.
Why the hell is it not on a gear hanger that brakes, not the whole bloody unit snapping off?

I didn’t upgrade in case it happens again.......

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
And you guess right .... it’s not going to be covered by warranty. £90 for a new unit. New inner cable , and set up .

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi guys anybody seen this before
View attachment 45162
I pedal to the top of the hill, the chain was slipping from on gear to other on small gears.

I stopped, check. Upside down bike and few test. Nothing aside the chain seem a bit loose but nothing to concern

when I started to pedal to go downhill. I felt a crank noise, and next when I saw toward the drive train, the chain and the jokey were tangled and the whole derailleur strip out of the fork. I guess the chain becomes loosed, and got off alignment getting off the jokey and with the torque of the pedalling got tangled and the force literally stripped out the whole derailleur

any way, I have rode 1000 km in about 5 months, so I don’t think I have abused the bike. Yes ok I am heavy (100kg) but don’t think that was an issue with mtb. And the chain will be kore robust

question it is time to upgrade? Anything better than the standsr drive train?
recomendation size and model would be appreciated it
I guess this is not covered by the guarantee?
cheers
M
High Rock Ruti

Buy a new one unless there is a less expensive derailleur that's compatible.
Buy it online and for sure send the broken derailleur to SRAM. PLEASE IGNORE what others tell you about it being trail damage, the derailleur is warrantied for two years send it with no note just your return address, please let the forum know what happens. SRAM is not as easy as Shimano, I'm 4 for 4 with Shimano my buddy has not paid for Shimano pedals, shoes, and derailleur's in 8 years. I sent pads and disks back with the same success. I may beat the shit out of my bike's, not sure. However I break derailleur's every six or so months, usually sticks getting sucked up into the drive chain near the derailleur. Most times it breaks the derailleur in half between upper and lower pivots that thrust the chain cage to change gears. I'm too impatient to wait for Shimano so I buy a new one, the free replacement takes 3 to 4 weeks. Then I'm home free, spare derailleur in stock, just send in the next broken derailleur, install the spare keep riding, rinse wash repeat. Since the parts break so often I buy the least expensive that's compatible, XTR shifts really well, unfortunately it breaks just as easy and for slightly crappier shifting I'd buy two for the same price. Just sayin?

So last piece of free advice you never asked for. Ebike's are nearly 3/4 of a horse power in high, that beats the living shit out of the entire drive train, if it connects to the motor it's going to break unless you replace it before it does, cassettes 750 mile max, chains 350 unless you clean and bathe your chain, $28 can't be bothered. When you step back and look rationally at what is being asked of an electric mountain bike, wearing parts should be expected. Some good riders are able to ride without putting the same stress on their bikes, I don't ride that well yet!

Warm Regards Ruti

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
when this inevitably happens to me I will be 'upgrading' to a set that @Gary recommended here: Most Durable Drivetrain - EMTB Forums

and if you scroll down you will see that @Rob Rides EMTB has been testing a 10 speed option for the price of a sram derailleur: Most Durable Drivetrain - EMTB Forums

before I saw these suggestions I was going to go the Box 2 - 9 speed route but these are cheaper and I feel like I could beat the shit out of them all year round without worrying.

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
High Rock Ruti

Buy a new one unless there is a less expensive derailleur that's compatible.
Buy it online and for sure send the broken derailleur to SRAM. PLEASE IGNORE what others tell you about it being trail damage, the derailleur is warrantied for two years send it with no note just your return address, please let the forum know what happens. SRAM is not as easy as Shimano, I'm 4 for 4 with Shimano my buddy has not paid for Shimano pedals, shoes, and derailleur's in 8 years. I sent pads and disks back with the same success. I may beat the shit out of my bike's, not sure. However I break derailleur's every six or so months, usually sticks getting sucked up into the drive chain near the derailleur. Most times it breaks the derailleur in half between upper and lower pivots that thrust the chain cage to change gears. I'm too impatient to wait for Shimano so I buy a new one, the free replacement takes 3 to 4 weeks. Then I'm home free, spare derailleur in stock, just send in the next broken derailleur, install the spare keep riding, rinse wash repeat. Since the parts break so often I buy the least expensive that's compatible, XTR shifts really well, unfortunately it breaks just as easy and for slightly crappier shifting I'd buy two for the same price. Just sayin?

So last piece of free advice you never asked for. Ebike's are nearly 3/4 of a horse power in high, that beats the living shit out of the entire drive train, if it connects to the motor it's going to break unless you replace it before it does, cassettes 750 mile max, chains 350 unless you clean and bathe your chain, $28 can't be bothered. When you step back and look rationally at what is being asked of an electric mountain bike, wearing parts should be expected. Some good riders are able to ride without putting the same stress on their bikes, I don't ride that well yet!

Warm Regards Ruti
Ok im going to bag mine up and send it back to Sram , I will post back what happens.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
Good luck with derailleurs. They are great for pedal only bicycles but until they are eliminated on Emtbs they are going to cause problems.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Box 2 - 9 speed route but these are cheaper and I feel like I could beat the shit out of them all year round without worrying
They're not actually cheaper. After testing to destruction I can confirm BOX2 to be poorly designed, basic in construction and overall pretty shit quality. Durability of the smaller cassette sprockets is diabolical

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
They're not actually cheaper. After testing to destruction I can confirm BOX2 to be poorly designed, basic in construction and overall pretty shit quality. Durability of the smaller cassette sprockets is diabolical
yea youre right, I actually meant that your suggestion was cheaper but reading it back, it sounds nothing like that :D

I still have a load of questions on changing to that system you suggested but ill save them until I have to change..

tacoma22

Dec 8, 2019
California
Yeah happened to me when a stick got caught and I stopped quick but it bent it bad. Tried to bend it back a bit and bam. Snapped

D37DCFBA-28D9-4911-B21F-D0BA35829FA3.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles