Jockey wheels maintenance?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I've never had to think about maintenance on jockey wheels before but fitting new wheel today and everything was nearly solid.
Last ride was a shitfest but thought I'd washed all the crap, off bearings look shot and wheels were only replaced Feb.

20210312_101932.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How about this one (upper and lower were the same)?
For the avoidance of doubt the new one is on the right! :)
The old one still spun well, it was just too much like a ninja throwing star.
Shifting was marginally better after fitting the new jockies.

Jockey wheels.JPG

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Only marginally ?
I'll take a marginal improvement. :)
When I first posted that picture on another forum 7-8 years ago now, it prompted many others to check their jockey wheels. More than a few replied that theirs had worn down to nubbins but they still worked. Unworn jockey wheels are less likely to derail or lose the chain, but as long as it still sits in the groove of the chain it will do a reasonable job. The fact that so many had not realised how badly worn their jockey wheels were surely demonstrates that the teeth are not critical for good shifting. (Or that those riders are oblivious to poor shifting, don't do any maintenance and/or ride their bikes into the ground,... whatever!) :unsure:

Last edited:

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I think in this application the bushes would actually be more robust than bearings

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Most riders who I speak to who run sram derailleurs often end up putting ceramic jockey wheels for longevity. For an emtb, I do have reservations but it could be something to look into.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I put Hope jockey wheels on my bio fuelled bike about 4 years ago. Swapped them to my Levo last year. Changed the bearings about a month ago, £7 or so, the wheel itself is still sound.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I replaced the jockey wheels on my GX mech with Hope. Much easier to keep clean...and yes I clean them together with the chain after every ride. Gear change is much better with decent jockey wheels...my originals developed a lot of side play.
I only remove them for a more thorough clean on the annual service. I have not had to replace the bearings or even remove the seals to clean, regrease as yet. Last time I removed them they had some dirt under the covers on each side but cleaning that out was all that was required. Well worth the £35 investment.

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
I put Hope jockey wheels on my bio fuelled bike about 4 years ago. Swapped them to my Levo last year. Changed the bearings about a month ago, £7 or so, the wheel itself is still sound.
Apart from the choice of 11 or 12 tooth Hope jockey wheels (and the colour ?) are they quite a universal fit?

i have the SRAM NX mech and might be interested in these next pay day ?

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
Scrap that idea - I need a 12T top and 14T bottom - which Hope don’t do ?

I’ll save my money until something else orange comes along

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
SNAP! must be a Focus thing.
The worn jockey wheels were not off my Focus, but from a 2013 Norco Sight (26er). The Norco remains the only bike that I ever had to replace the jockey wheels (twice). I also had to replace all the pivot bearings every 8 months!! But I loved that bike!

Kent

Nov 28, 2020
Israel
I clean and lube the jockey wheels and the chain every ride. Keeps the rides smooth and quiet, and the rear shifter absolutely silent while at work.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I clean and lube the jockey wheels and the chain every ride.
Surely you don't mean you remove and dismantle the jockey wheels to lube the moving parts every ride? :oops:
lubing the outside of jockey wheels attracts dirt.

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
Switched mine out for marine grade stainless steel ones today as an experiment to see how long they last. Hopefully longer than 6 months which is all I got out of the stock ones from new.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I have only had to change jockey wheels a few times in my 20 year riding “career”. Winter has a massive impact on wear as you’d expect. These were mine swapped in December after a hard Autumn/early winter. Still span as Shimano sealed bearings. They still shifted well.

IMG_0502.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I honestly don't know what some of you guys are doing to wear your jockey wheel teeth down to nothing in such a short time.
Jockey wheels last me 10s of thousands of miles.

The extra force exerted by modern clutch mechs does mean the lower pulley wheel wears more quickly than the guide wheel

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I've never had issues with jockey wheels until now, since Gary numan took over the mtb World tbh.
My issue was bearings shitted up, but I only bought these cos me awld ones wore out.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
SRAM jockey bearings seize a lot - but if you catch them quick enough can be sorted out with a grease gun.
My Eeb's Zee rear mech has done over 8000miles so far with no noticable jockeywheel wear

Gary doesn't know whether to be annoyed or aroused by your acusation it's all his fault

wicked_willie.gif

Last edited:

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Are friends electric????
And I've drunk mesen sober...
Got slash & miles, Kennedy on atm rocking t rednecks

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
Ditto after 30 years of MTB. I think it is the state of the trails leaving them a foot deep in muddy water after the biblical winter rain. Ebiking means I ride more and in filthier weather than on the analogue bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles