I don’t know if I am cursed or my bike is...

GrantMeThePower

Feb 1, 2021
USA
I have had the worst luck. The bike has had to go to the shop as often as I’ve been on it to ride.

it’s only been on like six rides and Trek has replaced both front and rear rotors and calipers, the dropper post and it’s been completely taken apart and put back together at the trek corporate store.

today, after 15 miles with 6 left to go, the chain snapped. The middle of a link. Not the master. A regular link just snapped in half. I had to walk and push the bike back.

After the brake problems I had I was told it was super rare. I got the same comment today.

I wish I could understand all these problems. It’s not my first EMTB (Haibike AllMtn was my last) not am I a new rider (I’m 40 and been riding my whole life despite taking a long break in my 30s). I am neither a beginner nor an expert pushing it to its limit.

Is it me or is it the bike?

468980D7-197E-4DD5-9EAD-5E7F42F47BB4.jpeg

FE8E601C-C0E4-44B2-85B0-72E61CBB72DB.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
A regular link just snapped in half.
Links don't "just" snap in half.
there's always a reason it snapped.
With Ebikes a snapped chain is often down to poor shifting technique and shifting under power damaging chain links or ripping pins out of the plates

as Kernow advised. carry chain tools and a spare quicklink or two and learn how to use them

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I had a lot more “bad luck” in the beginning with my Rail. Went through 3 derailleurs and a chain quickly. Changed from sram to shimano and the bad luck stopped. Main reason to change was the cost of parts, but the parts has lasted longer. Probably a mix of being more careful when changing gears and luck, maybe even a little bit of woodoo too

GrantMeThePower

Feb 1, 2021
USA
I had a lot more “bad luck” in the beginning with my Rail. Went through 3 derailleurs and a chain quickly. Changed from sram to shimano and the bad luck stopped. Main reason to change was the cost of parts, but the parts has lasted longer. Probably a mix of being more careful when changing gears and luck, maybe even a little bit of woodoo too

That’s a bit of a relief to hear that someone else has had problems, though all of my problems have been shimano parts lol. Did your chain snap like mine did?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I got 1816 miles out of my chain before it snapped (on a flat bit of tarmac with a low load) and I'm tight so I'm still using it.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I snapped my chain on brand new Anthem X 29er a few years back, that's not an e-bike and no shifting under load...
Just happened :oops:

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I had a 3 week old Slash 8 with GX drive train and the chain snapped up a small hill this summer. Didn’t expect that. Fixed it and still riding it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles