Flying with your ebike.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
I'm going to the Sierra Nevadas in September, flying with Easyjet to Malaga, and I had heard some contradictory info regarding the carrying of ebikes/batteries.

Today I took my battery (Shimano BT-E8010) into EJ customer services at Glasgow airport to try to get a definitive answer; here's what they told me.

The battery can only be taken onto the plane as hand luggage and will be treated exactly the same way as motobility scooter/wheelchair batteries by both EJ and airport security.

The battery cannot be taken on the bike/in the bike bag or in hold luggage.

I also asked if there was any chance that the Spanish airport authorities might see this differently, they said No it would be fine!

Need to weigh the Sommet VR with the Evoc bag but pretty sure it will be under the 32kg :)

All good news. Post up if you have any contradictory info.

Frank

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
BA website says you can’t fly with over 160Wh

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
A size L Sommet without the battery comes in just under 20kg if i remember form mine

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Having re-read the IATA rules it is clear that EJ are giving me poor advice. 160wh is definately the max for Lithium Ion batteries as carry on luggage.

Couriers are not interested either. Looks like I'll be taking the Capra for one last fling. Next year I'll drive over :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles