Error 550 - Please contact your bike dealer Cube 160 Bosch Gen 4 CX Line

Cavey76

Sep 19, 2020
Belfast
Hey, Was out on the trail today when i got the "Error 550 - Please contact your bike dealer". It took a few seconds for me to realise as the motor turned off as i was riding downhill so only when i hit the flat did the sluggishness make itself known.

I parked up and turned on and off a few times and regularly got the above message with the bike turning itself off at best after 2-3 mins sometimes sooner. I managed to get back to the carpark by turning off and on and suffering riding with no support.

Back home now i am getting the message regularly and its also showing as the alert the Kiox Battery is low. Which is strange as its connected fine and i have 70% plus in the bikes battery.

The CX Gen 4 manual tells me that 550 is an improper load which my mate kindly informed me is because i am a fat tw*t. Harsh and slightly unfair.

I am concerned as i am getting the 550 & the Kiox low battert alert.

I have taken off the skid plate and pulled out any gunk but it doesnt look horrific in there.

Has anyone experienced this and is there any quick fix short of me doing as the error message says and going back to the dealer. Secondly, bike is only 6 months(ish) old but the supplying dealer is bloody miles away. I have a much nearer Cube dealer. Does anyone have experience of returning a Cube to a non supplying dealer for warranty work?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Load could refer to the demands on the motor or the current being delivered to the motor. Either way it sounds like the current regulator in the motor PCB has failed. The motor is switching off probably using a thermal cut off switch. I guess it could be caused by a short circuit on the PCB............water ingress??

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

Looks to be caused by water in the motor causing a short circuit . I'm just waiting for a new motor from bosch under warranty.

Cavey76

Sep 19, 2020
Belfast
I’m Belfast based so popping into CRC’s Boucher store for a diagnostic scan and FW upgrade on the forlorn hope it isnt warranty.

Per @Mteam comments above, my fears is its a new motor job.

Cavey76

Sep 19, 2020
Belfast
I’m Belfast based so popping into CRC’s Boucher store for a diagnostic scan and FW upgrade on the forlorn hope it isnt warranty.

Per @Mteam comments above, my fears is its a new motor job.

So...CRC did a diagnostic for me and it looks terminal. I originally bought the bike eslewhere but technically they are slightly out of range what with lockdown. Called the original retailer this afternoon and he's happy to support a warranty claim as soon as i get the bike into him.

It was £25 i was happy to spend with CRC on the outside hope a flash of the FW to the latest and a quick clear of the error codes would see me good.

My bike is still exhibiting Error Code 500 and Error Code 550. I'll update this thread when i get a response from the original dealer and insight as to how long any replacement HW will be.

Cavey76

Sep 19, 2020
Belfast
Bike now with Cookstown Cycles (supplying dealer). Paul, the owner, was very good, took a day to run the diags, try and upgrade and speak to Bosch. Boach have acknowledged its a motor out replacement job. They are collecting and shipping a new one.

Rob Gaff

Dec 25, 2020
Lancashire
Bike now with Cookstown Cycles (supplying dealer). Paul, the owner, was very good, took a day to run the diags, try and upgrade and speak to Bosch. Boach have acknowledged its a motor out replacement job. They are collecting and shipping a new one.
I had a replacement motor after only 8 weeks of ownership, obviously under warranty. The bike is great when everything is working (I'll never go back to a 'normal' bike ?) but yesterday I was out on a ride and got error 510 displayed... Back to the shop and they had to plug in and clear the error codes. Doesn't fill me with confidence that the tech is good enough in this bikes yet, which is disappointing on a £4k bike ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I had a replacement motor after only 8 weeks of ownership, obviously under warranty.
I thought you had a new battery after 8 weeks ??

"After 8 weeks of ownership in December it had a new battery installed from Bosch under warranty."

The rail's a great bike. Unfortunately that means it's a very popular bike, so you now have a similar problem you have with Levo's. You hit a point when there's so many out there that you'll start hearing from people with failures even if it's only a relatively small minority. I think Bosch have fixed most of the early issues with firmware updates (which doesn't mean people have updated), though it looks like there's still a couple of ongoing issues in some circumstances.

Frustrating .. maybe worrying .. but you've got a great bike, ride it, enjoy it !

Rob Gaff

Dec 25, 2020
Lancashire
I thought you had a new battery after 8 weeks ??

"After 8 weeks of ownership in December it had a new battery installed from Bosch under warranty."

The rail's a great bike. Unfortunately that means it's a very popular bike, so you now have a similar problem you have with Levo's. You hit a point when there's so many out there that you'll start hearing from people with failures even if it's only a relatively small minority. I think Bosch have fixed most of the early issues with firmware updates (which doesn't mean people have updated), though it looks like there's still a couple of ongoing issues in some circumstances.

Frustrating .. maybe worrying .. but you've got a great bike, ride it, enjoy it !
No, motor I meant ? All things said tho, it can't be that bad as I've just bought my daughter one so we can do big adventures (after we're out of this lockdown) ? She absolutely loves it, 40 miles in the first week she's had it ?

Jsibby

Mar 6, 2021
Chichester
Hey, Was out on the trail today when i got the "Error 550 - Please contact your bike dealer". It took a few seconds for me to realise as the motor turned off as i was riding downhill so only when i hit the flat did the sluggishness make itself known.

I parked up and turned on and off a few times and regularly got the above message with the bike turning itself off at best after 2-3 mins sometimes sooner. I managed to get back to the carpark by turning off and on and suffering riding with no support.

Back home now i am getting the message regularly and its also showing as the alert the Kiox Battery is low. Which is strange as its connected fine and i have 70% plus in the bikes battery.

The CX Gen 4 manual tells me that 550 is an improper load which my mate kindly informed me is because i am a fat tw*t. Harsh and slightly unfair.

I am concerned as i am getting the 550 & the Kiox low battert alert.

I have taken off the skid plate and pulled out any gunk but it doesnt look horrific in there.

Has anyone experienced this and is there any quick fix short of me doing as the error message says and going back to the dealer. Secondly, bike is only 6 months(ish) old but the supplying dealer is bloody miles away. I have a much nearer Cube dealer. Does anyone have experience of returning a Cube to a non supplying dealer for warranty work?
sorry to hear that, I had the same - answer is a new motor, shame it took 6 weeks to arrive

Cavey76

Sep 19, 2020
Belfast
Just to wrap this up Paul at Cookstown Cyclew has played a blinder.
I spoke with him last Friday and he said Bosch accepted it was a new motor and were lifting my motor on Monday (8th). To try and give some breathing space i didnt call till Tuesday by which time the replacement motor had arrived.
I was worried that with Brexit/CV19/being on Northern Ireland i could be waiting weeks but only a few days i am very happy. Bike serviced, suspension tuned and new motor with latest FW fitted.
If anyone is in NI (or Ireland) and wants good bikeshop support i can heartily recommend Cookstown Cycles and Paul.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Both my Cube and my Kona Ebikes don't look to be fully waterproof.

On the Cube, water would get on to the battery terminals and the display connections.

On the Kona, water can get through the plastic battery cover and down the sides of the battery.

I don't think this will be an issue, but a simple rubber seal around the battery cover would keep things dry.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
That pretty much applies to every E mtb. The best protection for the battery is for it to be enclosed in the downtube......like the Levo or better still Whyte. Then you have the way in which the battery connects to the electrical circuit of the bike and how well that connection is protected.
Another potential weakness is the charging port........often placed for convenience connecting the charger but at the expense of being exposed to trail dirt and water......and very often with a pathetic flap cover! I have no idea why many brands consider the best way to make the battery removeable is to have the front of the downtube cut away and then covered with a bit of plastic...........the area of any bike most likely to be plastered in mud water and thrown rocks! A side entry on the downtube is marginally better, but a fully enclosed downtube is the right solution I think.
Some bikes have vents at the junction of the downtube with the headtube supposedly to help cool the battery......meanwhile providing easy access to dust and water direct into the battery compartment!

My advice for any E mtb is to look at all the electrical components and connections and think how they could be better protected.

People spend good money applying invisiframe, mudguards etc to protect the frame and pivots, yet no time or money protecting the aspects that are most likely to let them down.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
That's good advice. l would also recommend removing and checking the battery after a ride in wet conditions.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles