Winter Trail Hack Build

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I picked up a bargain Nukeproof Scout hardtail frame a few weeks ago, with the intention of chucking the last of my ‘spare bits’ on it to make a bike to sell on or lend to friends etc.

What with all those bits, I only had to buy some brakes, some cheap Clarks jobbies, and they work pretty well for my riding.

I also had a TSDZ2 sitting on the shelf, so thought I’d see if that would fit. It required me to grind off the chain guide mounts, but it fitted. The whole thing is offset a little to the chain side, as the chain stays on the Scout are quite wide but the left hand crank arm misses the stay by about 5mm so all good.

I put together a small battery back, about 210Wh by my calcs, using a couple of RC 5S battery’s in a soft shell pack and a FidLock Boa adaptor.

Not a big battery, but it is light, and using one of these range extender size packs before tells me it should be good for 8-10 miles if used mainly for the grinding hills and on Eco for the flats. Perfect for my midweek jaunts now the evenings are drawing in. It’s easy to carry a couple of spare battery’s in my coat pocket or pack if I want to do a longer trip too.

The whole setup is pretty light, I’ll weigh it tomorrow, but will be good to ride in the filth keeping my full sus machines away from the worst until the sun is on my back again. It will be easy to remove and fit the DUB cranks again should I want to.

A quick test ride just after dark today, and initial impressions are how agricultural the TSDZ2 feels compared to the Shimano or Brose motors I’m used to. We’re spoilt with the latest motors really, but the Tongsheng is a torque sensing motor and is pretty effective as well as reasonably quiet, and gets the job done.

Anyway, thought it may be of interest to some of you!

IMG_6722.jpeg

IMG_6720.jpeg

IMG_6721.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles