Very High Idle Battery Drain

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Just posting as an FYI:

Picked up a Pivot Shuttle SL this week. After first charge battery was at 97%. Next day (afternoon) battery was at 89%. So 8% drain in less than 24 hours with the bike doing nothing. I contacted Fazua support, who said...

The bike stays fairly active over the first 8 hours after the last time it has been interacted with. The loss you are experiencing is normal for the Ride 60 system at this time. Further firmware updates should reduce this.

I have noticed that any time I open the Fazua app, it will connect to the bike no matter how long it's been sitting. So it looks like they're leaving Bluetooth on, even if the bike is off. Should be an easy fix...

Since then I've been leaving the bike on the charger and it works as a workaround. The thing I am not sure about is if the system pulls power directly from the charger when plugged in, or if it's draining and refilling the batter over and over again. While it's plugged in and fully charged, I've never seen the charge light turn red, so I hope it's not constantly cycling the battery.

CliffP

Jan 24, 2023
San Antonio Texas
Just posting as an FYI:

Picked up a Pivot Shuttle SL this week. After first charge battery was at 97%. Next day (afternoon) battery was at 89%. So 8% drain in less than 24 hours with the bike doing nothing. I contacted Fazua support, who said...

I have noticed that any time I open the Fazua app, it will connect to the bike no matter how long it's been sitting. So it looks like they're leaving Bluetooth on, even if the bike is off. Should be an easy fix...

Since then I've been leaving the bike on the charger and it works as a workaround. The thing I am not sure about is if the system pulls power directly from the charger when plugged in, or if it's draining and refilling the batter over and over again. While it's plugged in and fully charged, I've never seen the charge light turn red, so I hope it's not constantly cycling the battery.
I have not experienced that. I will look closer. I have the pivot SL as well .

Schnabulation

Nov 21, 2023
Switzerland
Hi @Bigtuna00
I registered here only to reply to this topic: I am a fairly new owner to a Santa Cruz Heckler SL with the Fazua Ride 60 motor. I have also noticed a rather high battery drain while the bike is stored. For me it's around 3% per 24 hours.

You mentioned that the latest software update has fixed it. What exactly does that mean for you? Do you still have a drain but it's just less or do you have no drain at all? I'm asking because I already have the lastest firmware (bundle 009) installed that seems to have fixed this.

My old bike (Santa Cruz Heckler) with a Shimano E8000 motor had no battery drain at all (or very minimal) and this is actually what I would suspect from a stored bike. A bit disappointed in the Ride 60 to be honest.

Looking forward to your reply.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Sorry I'm not going to be much help. I only rode the bike three times and then sold it.

3% still sounds high. I had the bike in my garage for several months waiting to sell and the on bike indicator was still full. If it was draining 3% every day it would have gone down a lot faster so I would say yours sounds like it has a problem.

The one thing I will say is the bike has a wake up function when you move it, so if you're moving it every day to check the battery then you're probably causing extra drain. I would plug it in charge it and leave it alone for several days to verify what's going on.

Schnabulation

Nov 21, 2023
Switzerland
Appreciate the fast reply, thank you very much.
What was the reason you sold the Shuttle SL? My bike shop speaks very highly about it.

I'm aware of the wake up function, yes, but I thought it would shut down after 8 hours. However I can still connect to my (not moved) bike via bluetooth, even after 24 hours. Do you maybe remember if you could do that too after the firmware upgrade?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
What was the reason you sold the Shuttle SL? My bike shop speaks very highly about it.
I bought the bike with the goal of building a lightweight replacement for my Mondraker Crafty. I was unsure about the range, so I did a few representative test rides, and I figured I could add a range extender if needed. I found that there are some rides that I do on a regular basis that would definitely require the range extender. Unfortunately I found out later the range extender will not be available in 2023 according to Fazua. I couldn't really justify keeping the bike around for a year waiting for the range extender. This is in no way an indictment of the bike, rather that I tend to ride in "turbo" mode all the time so I burn through the range that much faster.

FWIW I'm on a 2023 Orbea Rise, which included the range extender out of the box. Without the extender, it's 38.3 lbs.
I'm aware of the wake up function, yes, but I thought it would shut down after 8 hours. However I can still connect to my (not moved) bike via bluetooth, even after 24 hours. Do you maybe remember if you could do that too after the firmware upgrade?
I don't remember, sorry, but that does sound like it's being "left on", which would make sense given the drain.

Schnabulation

Nov 21, 2023
Switzerland
A friend of mine owns an Orbea. A really great bike, yes. However without the range extender the battery is only 360Wh if I remember correctly, no?

Anyway, thank you so much for your help! I have opened a support ticked with Fazua and hope they can identify the problem. Maybe the battery keeps staying on because I store the bike vertically on the wall.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
A friend of mine owns an Orbea. A really great bike, yes. However without the range extender the battery is only 360Wh if I remember correctly, no?
You can order it with a 360 battery or a 540 battery. I chose the 360 because it's plenty for my shorter rides, and it's lighter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles