• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Upgrading to 29" - what do i need to look for wrt wheel spec ?

MajorUpset

Jul 22, 2018
Solihull
Advice please:

I have a Gen 1 Specialized Levo FSR Carbon Comp that I haven't used for a while, and am keen to get 'back on it'.

I am thinking of upgrading the wheels to 29", and hoping you can help advise what I need to look for.

The original spec of the Levo is 27.5 wheels with front hub being 110 x 15 thru axle, and read hub being 148 x 12.

I've been looking on ebay, and many of the wheels dont list the hub sizes, so am wondering if this is a standard size, so will all fit ? Or do I need to find wheels with those specific size hubs ?

Also - are there any other things I need to be mindful of ?

eg: can i just take of the rotors off the 27.5 wheels and fit to the new ones ?

Thanks in advance

Timbo

Aug 31, 2018
France
I have the same bike and upgraded to 29" front and 27.5 DTSwiss H1700 wheels, you will need to look for Boost hubs with six bolt brake fitting, and can switch over your disks.
If you want to re-use your cassette, you will need to check the fitting, if it's the original one it will be shimano hyperglide.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Check that the 29" rear wheel will actually fit into the frame (usually no probs with the front). Allow for sideways flex. Allow for wider tyres that you may fit. It's not just the cross brace that you need to check, but the clearance with the seat and chain stays as well.

Also allow for the chunky tyre tread to carry around lumps of gravel that may strike the cross brace(s). I wasn't changing wheel size, just tyre spec and I had such a problem that I had to fit three layers of helicopter tape to the seat stay cross brace, and keep renewing it!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles