Trek Rail advice - First eMTB

sandyfeet

May 9, 2024
Australia
Hey guys, looking to purchase my first eMTB and have learnt a lot from the knowledge shared here 🙂

I got into riding about 2.5 years ago and love it, getting out 2-3 times per week, weather/family permitting. I have only owned the Polygon Siskiu T7 (140/135) and it has served me well but I am definitely riding it to its limit. The reason I want an eMTB is two-fold - I want to get more laps in on my local trail, and secondly, there is a purpose built MTB area being built 20 minutes away which I would use regularly. It will have designated climbing trails and about 40 kms of built flow trails with a mix of green/blue/black.

I am 192cm, 94kgs and fit for 43 yrs old. I am not particularly savvy or up to date with the latest tech, nor would I be confident in understanding upgrades that would suit my riding, so I don't want a super low spec bike that would require upgrades. I'm the kind of guy that will probably snoop around here to see what the majority are doing to pimp their rides :)

I have been considering a range of bikes:
- Giant Trance X advanced E+ Elite 2 ($9999AUD)
- Mondraker crafty RR alloy (currently $9999AUD - 23% disc)
- Mondraker crafty R carbon (currently $10999AUD - 24% disc)
- Trek Rail 9 Gen 3 (currently $8499AUD - 23% disc)
- Trek Rail 9.8 GX AXS T-Type Gen 4 (currently $9999AUD - 23% disc)

I considered the levo but there are no discounts atm and I think there a bit overpriced for the spec.

I am currently leaning towards the Trek Rail as I like the reviews regarding the Bosch motor and the bike in general + there is a Trek dealer in town. I am heading in to sit on a few bikes and chat to the guys over the weekend (rentals/loans are not an option).

Does anyone have any advice on either of the Trail bikes above and what to possibly look for when in store? For example:
- Geo of the 9.8 and the extended reach of 517 on the XL.
- Battery size - I think the 625W battery on the 9 would be enough for my riding.
- Weight - I think they are pretty similar?
- Carbon vs alloy

Thanks for any help :)

sandyfeet

May 9, 2024
Australia
Short version:

Trek Rail 9 Gen 3 (currently $8499AUD - 23% disc)
Vs
Trek Rail 9.8 GX AXS T-Type Gen 4 (currently $9999AUD - 23% disc)

Which one? why? things to consider that a noob may not have thought of?

Cheers,

west

Nov 17, 2022
NZ
Short version:

Vs

Cheers,
Big differences between these two.
- Alloy vs carbon frame
- Different geometry between Gen 3 and Gen 4
- Alloy has 625WH battery, Carbon has 750WH battery

The specs between the two are much of a much, so you're really paying $1500 more for the bigger battery and carbon frame.

Unless you have had previous bad experiences with carbon, I would 100% go for the 9.8 carbon model purely for the bigger battery. I have a rail 9.8XT and the 750WH for me is perfect for 3-4 hour rides staying in turbo/emtb most of the time. Also highly recommend getting it ride wrapped from new to protect the frame. I did it myself and took around 4-5 hours to do going very slowly and got a near perfect result.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Short version:

Vs

Cheers,
Rail owner here, great bikes. To break it down for what $1500 AUD gets you

Bigger Battery
Carbon Handlebar
Newer AXS T Type gearing
Lighter (but same weight with larger battery)
System Controller in the top tube
Carbon Frame
Longer Geo

The 750wh battery models reach is around 22mm longer for Large to Large in these two bikes. At 192cm I'd say large in a gen 4 would be spot on. Don't go XL is another 25mm longer again

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
For me, having a emtb dealer close enough was important. I’m lucky to have three dealers within 5-10km so I have a few good options. (Trek, Specialize, Santa Cruz, Giant.

Motors are getting better each year and the geometry is somewhat changeable with a few upgrades.

Carbon vs Alloy …depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. They’re both good options IMO…but someday, weight might matter.

sandyfeet

May 9, 2024
Australia
For me, having a emtb dealer close enough was important. I’m lucky to have three dealers within 5-10km so I have a few good options. (Trek, Specialize, Santa Cruz, Giant.

Motors are getting better each year and the geometry is somewhat changeable with a few upgrades.

Carbon vs Alloy …depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. They’re both good options IMO…but someday, weight might matter.
Thanks Stihldog, after much reading, having a store nearby is also top priority for me :)

sandyfeet

May 9, 2024
Australia
Had the chance to get in store yesterday, but unfortunately they only had a large in the Rail9Gen3 and a medium in the 9.8. So both obviously not suitable sizing for me. I was hoping to try an XL in the 9 and both L and XL in the 9.8.

I am definitely favouring the 9.8 for the extra $1500 AUD but the guy I was chatting to was almost certain that for my size the XL would be better (6'4" and inseam of 35 inches). So I don't know how to compare these two sizes as best for me. The longer reach (517) and wheelbase (1314) feels like it might be a bit hard to manoeuvre around techy terrain.

I have attached a comparison of L and XL and my T7 as that is what I am familiar with and have not other comparison.

Any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2024-05-11 at 10.43.15 am.png

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
I’m 5’11” on a medium 9.8 (460 reach) do you know your favoured reach numbers? If not the only way to tell is riding the bikes. Most people size down as I feel (49x reach) would be plenty?

The stack, reach and top tube length are all WAY longer on the XL Rail

Last edited:

sandyfeet

May 9, 2024
Australia
I’m 5’11” on a medium 9.8 (460 reach) do you know your favoured reach numbers? If not the only way to tell is riding the bikes. Most people size down as I feel (49x reach) would be plenty?

The stack, reach and top tube length are all WAY longer on the XL Rail
Thanks for the reply,

I have only ever ridden my T7 and its impossible to get demo bikes here so I haven't explored a range of different bikes/geo.

According to Trek's sizing you would be a L, so how do you find the M?

My gut feeling says the L will be spot on. The store have also offered to get the other size in if I'm not happy with original choice.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It took me about a year to find the “sweet-spot” for the type of riding in my area. My medium Rail is likely not suitable as a commuter because I don’t ride paved roads. The trails around here can be technical and sometimes steep.

I originally settled for a M Rail 9.7 and slowly added upgrades and tweaked the geometry to suit my needs.

When I added the Fuel EXE 8 I did the same. When I sit on each bike and close my eyes …I can’t tell the difference, but once you start moving, or throwing the bike around, the difference is apparent. The wheel base is about 1/2” shorter on the fuel and that may add to its agility on the trails.

Another rider, same height as me, now regrets having a L Rail. His solution is to slightly reduce the geometry …but a medium sized bike could have made these tweaks a little easier. His bike would be great as a commuter …but not a techy trail bike.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Thanks for the reply,

I have only ever ridden my T7 and its impossible to get demo bikes here so I haven't explored a range of different bikes/geo.

According to Trek's sizing you would be a L, so how do you find the M?

My gut feeling says the L will be spot on. The store have also offered to get the other size in if I'm not happy with original choice.
I think the L would be perfect for you. I don’t pay attention to “recommended sizing” I like 460mm reach so that’s what I went for. My DH bike is 470, but for trail riding and some bike park I’m happy as with the medium.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles