• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Specialized Turbo Levo SL 2023 1.2 SL Motor

Abbyrider

Feb 13, 2024
California
I bought this bike (Kids model) as a short adult female because it had the best fit, and the kids model has a 15 MPH limit. I have spent hours scouring various internet sources with some confusion as the information is conflicting as to what is compatible and what is not. There are the software hacking options and magnet offerings from what I've read thus far. My understanding is that Pear Tune MSO 4 and Speed Fun Ribelle or Furious could work while having the speed display be accurate but there are conflicting reports on this between websites thus I would really like to hear what has worked in practice for someone who has a similar/same bike/motor. I've already purchased the Speedbox 1.0 BROSE which I realize now probably won't work (or will it? anyone know?). I fully accept the risk that comes with this--voided warranty etc. I did ask at the bike shop where I bought it and they weren't aware of anything compatible. I did try calling Specialized and they couldn't help either. I have perused the threads here and see that someone asked about levociraptor vs Pear Tune for 3rd generation Levo bikes and I wanted to be sure that 3rd generation refers to my 2023 model of Turbo Levo SL but it wasn't mentioned whether the Pear Tune was the MSO 4 model. And really, I would love it if someone could just say "yes I used the Peartune MSO 4 and it will work on the bike you have. From what I've read the levociraptor will not work on the SL 1.2 models, the US distributor in Placentia told me that it was in the process of being tested--and it doesn't show real time speed. Some levociraptor devices also require an android device which I do not have, I have IOS (iphone).

So in summary, are there any end users here with the same motor and similar bike that can tell me what brand and model of device worked and what your opinion is on what is best? I would prefer a device that provides real time speed readings, but having a magnet that you can take on and off also seems attractive. . .especially if it has to be removed prior to any firmware upgrades because I do not have regular access to a bike mechanic and I am not handy enough to do this myself.

I am desperate. I am not mechanically inclined and am trying to do this on my own though I will get a bike mechanic to install it--but I have to find the proper device. I would even pay a consultation fee if someone wants to reach out to me via message and I can pay via paypal or venmo.

Thank you everyone :)

Last edited:

Abbyrider

Feb 13, 2024
California
Update. I heard from twowheelsempire an outfit based in the UK. They have told me that PearTune is compatible with this motor. I also read about another motor from SpeedFun based in Italy, they have two devices, the Ribelle and the Furious. Per their message to me, the Furious shows altered data on the display app and the Ribelle shows real data. I could not find any US distributors for either. If anyone here bought their PearTune from a US distributor, please let me know. If anyone can confirm that they used the PearTune or the SpeedFun successfully I would appreciate hearing. . .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles