So I'm thinking of trying the new sram xo axs on my 22' sc Bullit..

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I'm wondering if the new sram chain will work with the front chainring the bike came with.. If not is there anyone making a ring yet that will work with a 104 bcd spider?

Thanks in advance.

D

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Thats what I thought too but my buddy at the bike shop thinks the new sram chain isn't compatible. Doing more digging I see sram does make a 104 bcd ring but if I dont need it... I was hoping to just buy the cassette, chain, derailleur and shifter.

D

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There’s a helpful video on YouTube regarding chains. (MTB chains).

I’ve been using a HG Shimano M8100 chain on an ethirteen chainring, AXS GX derailer, Shimano 12speed XT cassette for the past 2+ years. Seems to work fine… and I admire Dr. Frankenstein. 😉

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
There’s a discussion about this on the large heckler thread. See post #332 in particular.

2022 Santa Cruz Heckler

The short answers is that SRAM says the old chainring is not compatible, so you should swap that out. SRAM makes one that’s compatible as does Woolftooth, and I’m sure others do also.

At less than $50 for the SRAM chainring, it’s not terribly expensive considering what the derailleur, cassette and chain cost, so if it was me I’d want one that’s compatible rather than not. But I’ll be interested to hear what results people get from running the older style chainrings. I suspect performance will be acceptable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles