Shimano Deore XT LINKGLIDE

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I was looking over specs on the xt linkglide shifter and it looks like you can only upshift (to bigger cogs) 2 gears and downshift (to smaller cogs) 1 gear at a time. Is this true?

This may be a deal breaker for me. I’m truly spoiled by the double upshift.
If you could clarify, you mention that XT-LG can upshift 2 gears at a time and that you're spoiled by the double upshift. Did I read that right? I just checked my CUES LG, and it shifts to bigger cogs 2 at a time and shifts to smaller cogs 1 at a time. I used to like higher end SRAM Grip Shift setups on my pedal-only bikes because of the ability to shift at any desired number, but when I built my homemade Bafang, Santa Cruz Bullit rig, this didn't play well with emtb operation. The pedal assist was too rough for multiple gear shifting most of the time.

I ride my Trek Rail 7 in Turbo mode almost exclusively. It doesn't tend to like multiple fast shifts in many off road scenarios, and I attribute that to the fact that it's way harsher on the drivetrain than a conventional pedal-only bike. Also it seems less necessary on an emtb to do fast multiple shifts because you're able to maintain better momentum because of pedal assist. Maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly, and maybe those riding in lower power assist modes have different circumstances and preferences.

I'm pretty sure that the word from Shimano on LG drivetrains is that they shift a bit slower but more firmly than Hyperglide, but that's the intent for it to be more robust and durable. That's what I got from the Shimano rep.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
I was incorrect. I was referring to the standard xt downshifting (to smaller cogs) two at a time by pushing the smaller lever. I almost exclusively shift in pairs both up and down anymore.

Maybe going to the 10 speed hybrid set up like @ChillyWilly the changes between gears will be enough that I won’t need to shift 2 at a time.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I was incorrect. I was referring to the standard xt downshifting (to smaller cogs) two at a time by pushing the smaller lever. I almost exclusively shift in pairs both up and down anymore.

Maybe going to the 10 speed hybrid set up like @ChillyWilly the changes between gears will be enough that I won’t need to shift 2 at a time.
I think that's exactly what you'll find, the less overall need for more frequent shifting. And I realize that we're all different to some degree about how and where we ride, so the exact formula for all of us doesn't exist. Your comment about the "changes between gears" may require some tooth counting on the cassette.

For example, my 12-speed SRAM cassette that came on the Rail 7 have virtually the same gear/tooth numbers until you get past the 36T largest cog of my 9-speed CUES setup, and I think this is fairly common with most 10-11-12 cog cassettes. The gap between the cogs is similar, and the benefit just comes from the ability to add up to the huge 50+ large cogs. As I mentioned before, I just don't find the need for my riding to have the 50+ large cogs.

The 11-speed LG does allow you to achieve a 50T large cog, however, if you find you need that. With a strong emtb, I doubt most would need more than the 43T large cog, but again, all of our applications are not exactly the same. I get that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles