Options to go to 220mm discs with centerlock?

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
Hello,
I want to upgrade my brakes with 220(223)mm discs , coming from 203mm.
Now I’m on shimano XT brakes with centerlock hubs. Would like to keep my hubs.
Does anyone know if this is possible and which brands I can get.

From a previous ebike I have Magura Mdrp floating disc 220mm, but this is 6-bolt. I do know you can get an adaptor from Galfer to use this on centerlock hubs. But on the website it says NOT to do this? I guess it could fail…

Anyone tried this?

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
That’s exactly what I want to know…
Can I assume a 6-bolt setup is stronger than center lock?
From a design point it must be as its mount points are part of the actual hub putting the weakest point as the screws themselves which must be 2-3mm wide. While the centerlock rotor is gripping on <1mm sized spines. I don't have any numbers to backup this opinion though.
It would probably come down to your weight if your under 100kg maybe you would be ok.

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
As long as the centre lock ring is tight and no wear is taking place I'd say the centre lock is stronger.
I'm an engineer by the way so I'm not just pulling this out of thin air, however I've not done any calculations so maybe I am 😄

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
As long as the centre lock ring is tight and no wear is taking place I'd say the centre lock is stronger.
I'm an engineer by the way so I'm not just pulling this out of thin air, however I've not done any calculations so maybe I am 😄
The center lock rotor does look stronger but the industry standard seems to be 6 bolt. I’ve never used or even seen a center lock rotor. Most new hubs I’ve seen are 6 bolt systems and higher POE than the original 30-50 POE hub. So I can’t say which is better.

I use the Magura MDR floating rotor. 220mm on the front and 203mm on the rear. I believe that the rotor ring is slightly thicker so there is less chance of warping and they last longer. However, if you install a poorly manufactured one they can sound like a tambourine while you’re riding. I believe that the riveting is not secure which is likely a manufacturing issue.

Using a 203mm on the rear and a 220mm on the front seemed to equalize the braking modulation for me. The braking on the rear was less sensitive and therefore less wheel drag. That can save excessive wear on the rear rubber and save the trail at the same time. A good set of hydraulic brakes and proper pads for your riding style helps. Don’t interchange composite brake pads and metallic brake pads on the same rotor …unless you like the sound of howling brakes. 😳

Heat dissipation helps also for those long descents. I’ve had my cheap 203mm rotor heat up the rear calliper once. Not to funny descending a rock garden with front brakes only. My scars and helmet agree.

Most of us use 203mm rotors on the rear that are slightly thicker and dissipate heat. 220mm on the front.

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
Nice, do you have a picture? How does the magnet work? Just keen to fit my range with better stopping power too. Cheers
1686497925813.png

I just glued on a small magnet. works great.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
These turned up today 😃
The 220 rotor is only SLX and 1.75 mm thick so I can't see it lasting long, but its only for occasional use at bike parks with organic pads.
The TRP disc fitted is 2.3 mm thick and just fits in the XT Calipers.
Around 40 pound for the disc and bracket . I will report back from hospital if it's no good🤕
IMG_20230612_180358.jpg

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Most of us use 203mm rotors on the rear that are slightly thicker and dissipate heat. 220mm on the front.
I'm evidently an exception with 220mm rotors front and rear, and use both my front and rear brakes together depending on conditions and lean angle.

Edit: together

Last edited:

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
Just ordered SM-RT64 220mm for back on my Orbea Rise to move up from 203mm. Comes with magnet etc so no messing about with gluing / drilling etc.

I have the M6120s (4 pot) that I fitted from having the bike new and from reading countless reviews can't seem to find enough compelling evidence to go spend £400-500 on Hope Tech v4s or Magura MT7s.

Will let you know how it goes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles