Newmen Fade Freewheel Replacement

Razvan_12

Sep 20, 2022
Brasov, Romania
Hello,

I have a Cube Hybrid 140 HPC SL with Newmen Fade MicroSpline Freewheel. My freewheel is not working properly so I want to replace it. Unfortunately, it's not on stock.
The rim is the same brand (also the hub) and I want to know if I can buy another freewheel brand (like shimano with MicroSpline). I saw a model with the same size 12x148.
What do you think ?
And also, it is possible to repair my actual freewheel ? Sometimes the pedals are moving freely because the freewheel's pawls are not working. I think that they are stuck and also my cassette moves.

Thanks !

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
The freehub is specific to the wheel hub so it's unlikely that you'll be able to use a freehub from another manufacturer. Unless you get lucky and Newmen manufacturer for another brand.

It could be the bearings have seized or there is dirt in the pawls. You can remove the freehub easily enough to check.

I just had a quick Google and there are a few places that are selling them which might help?

Razvan_12

Sep 20, 2022
Brasov, Romania
Hi. Thank you for help.
Today I removed my freehub. The bearing balls where damaged (all where cut in half). The pawls were dirty and not working good. I think I need to replace that circle which holds them. Also, the freewheel is scratched by hub's teeth... Tomorrow I will try to contact a service to see their opinion (about that scratches) and I will buy some balls to remount the freehub. Unfortunately, the inside bearings not sealed so I will need to buy aluminum balls with case.

Last edited:

Razvan_12

Sep 20, 2022
Brasov, Romania
Hi. After 2 weeks, my wheel is damaged again (same problem).
Tomorrow I will go to another bike shop to ask for an opinion about replacing my wheel with a DT Swiss model (I heard that is much stronger) or to keep my Newmen wheel and buy another Freehub (because this is a little bit damaged and this is why my rear bearing is broken)

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
Dt Swiss wheels are great - just have to keep an eye out for them on special. The rear wheel design is simpler and easier to maintain than older designs. If the star ratchets get a bit noisy you just pull the cassette and freehub off in one piece (they stay together), lubricate the ratchets with DT special grease, then push the cassette/freehub back on, no tools needed.

Razvan_12

Sep 20, 2022
Brasov, Romania
Finally, I decided to buy a new freehub, the same model as the broken one (Newmen Fade Freehub).
If my wheel will be damaged, I will buy a DT Swiss wheel. Until then, I will use my newmen wheel

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles