New Year greetings from West Sussex

GlynRS2

Jan 2, 2022
West Sussex
Living just 5 minutes from the South Downs I have been a keen mountain biker for the past 30 years, but 2022 is going to be my first awith an eMTB.

Most of the riding I have done is XC, which fits with our local tracks along the South Downs Way and I actually enjoy the pain of hard uphill climbs when doing this sort of ride. However, over the past few years I have been getting more into downhill trail riding in the Surrey Hills together with numerous trips to Bike Park Wales. I have a Stumpjumper Evo with adjustable geometry, which is pretty much the same as the Gen 3 Levo. This is a great bike and perfect when I have an uplift at BPW. However, as time at the trails is always limited I feel my progression is being limited by time wasted getting back up the trail when no uplift is available. Therefore, I have decided to go to the dark side of eMTB.

My dilemma at present is whether to go for a Levo SL or the full power Gen 3 Levo. The SL will probably be an easier transition and I like the idea of having a lighter more nimble bike which may suit my relatively novice trail riding skills. On the other hand I will get back up the hill quicker with the full power Levo. I don't need the extra power for fitness/injury reasons as I ride around 6,000 - 8,000 miles per year on my manual bikes and weigh 75kg at 5'11". Although I think the SL may be a better fit for me now, will I crave more power and want to change for a full power Levo after just a few months? I imagine thus may be a common dilemma, what have others found has worked for them?

I know I should consider other brands, but I am a bit of a Specialized junkie. My current bile quiver is as follows:
2021 S-Works Epic Evo - my main bike and a great fun down country 120mm travel XC bike
2022 Stumpjumper Evo Expert - great 160mm/150mm trail bike

I am looking forward to adding an eMTB in the near future

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Hi! This kinda difficult choice is the pleasant type!

Thinking of the next few years, do you want something really quite different to your current Stumpy in your eeb or something similar with the benefits of some assistance?

It sounds like the former - but maybe not. Anyway, once you have an answer, you’ll know what to buy for the duration.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles