• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

new bike advice: Pivot Shuttle vs SantaCruz Heckler vs Rocky Mountain Powerplay

Vlad

Sep 8, 2020
Prague
Hey guys.
Starting researching a new ebike as the prices now are really great! And would like some recommendations or your thoughts 🙏

I currently ride a 2020 Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay (150 back, 170 front). Althought it's a quite dated geo on 27.5, it feels kinda right for my riding (I like tight trails, gnarly steep technical downhills and enjoy rock/"trialsy" features.
Something i don't like is the bike is quite heavy and slow feeling, so would maybe like something more snappy. And the old battery really sucks. I'm a bit biased to Rocky Mountain as I absolutely love my analog Altitude. But am also intrigued to try something new, especially on a Bosch CX motor.

Preferences
  • bigger battery 720Wh, removable if possible
  • motor preference order:
    1. Bosch CX
    2. Dyname from Rocky
    3. Shimano
  • still prefer a brand sold through a LBS to get good aftersales support
  • short cranks for good clearance
I have narrowed it down to these so far...
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct (either leave as is or my LBS offers to rebuild to Altitude specs)
    + expect to have similar feel to my analog Altitude, which I love
    + seems it has one of the best ranges
    + love the Jumbotron display and controller
    + I kinda like the analog sound of the motor more than the electric whining, also zero rattling noise...
    - long cranks, problematic to get under 165, zero overrrun of motor which i really like on the Bosch
    - already a three year old design

• Pivot Shuttle AM
    + Bosch - love the power delivery and overrun, feels more refined and modern than Rocky. Also clean look with new display and wireless remote
    - non-removable battery
    - can only afford the lowest spec, which has 625Wh, compared to 750wh on the expensive ones 🤦‍♂️

• Pivot Shuttle LT
    + from reviews seems still nimble and fun with 170 travel. so probably the most wellrounded bike for my riding
    + huge 756Wh removable battery
    - not excited about Shimano motor, seems it doesn't have the newest EP801 motor

• Santa Cruz Heckler
    + from tech spec sheets seems significantly lighter than most, seems nible and fun from reviews
    + suprisingly huge discounts
    - not excited about Shimano motor, seems it doesn't have the newest EP801 motor

dapperdan

May 6, 2024
Huntsville, UT
I own a 2021 Rocky Mountain Instinct Powerplay 50 and a 2022 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp. I'd recommend the Levo everyday of the week. It's quieter than the the Instinct and the pedaling is much smoother. Its like riding a normal bike. The Instinct almost has a ratcheting feel/sound when pedaling. The power is amazing on the Levo. I'm probably going to sell the Instinct and look for another Levo.

Zippidy

Jul 13, 2022
Would recommend you take a look at the new Orbea Wild with the CX race motor. I have a 2022 RM Altitude PowerPlay and have owned / ridden a number of ebikes; the new Wild has been the best so far.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles