Installing reverb stealth - advice please

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Do I need the proper bleed kit or can I use a normal brake one? I’ve got a kit with loads of little adapters for the popular brake brands.

Also, can I use Shimano mineral oil for the remote? Everything I’ve read says I shouldn’t but I’ve got loads of it and no Rockshox hydraulic fluid.

Al-ec

Subscriber
Mar 4, 2024
West Wales
I Think Reverb oil is suspension fluid 2.5 wt and brake fluid is apparently a different beast, so may behave and affect seals differently. Reverbs seem quite sensitive to needing bleeds etc so not sure I'd chance it. For the same reason kept brake bleeding and reverb bleeding syringes separate.
Got to say it felt like progress moving to a Crank Bros Highline.

ReadyShreddy

Nov 17, 2023
UK
Yes don't use mineral oil, 2.5 wt is needed. I had to buy the adapter for mine as none of the adapters I had in my pack would fit snug enough. The stealth is prone to failing internally so even after a bleed you may still have issues.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Thanks for the replies but I figured it out a while back now! Bought the proper oil and an unofficial 1x bleed adapter from epic bleed solutions which worked a treat.

I have an Axs on my emtb and this stealth on my hard tail. Both bought second hand and both working just fine at the moment. I love tinkering with the bikes so not bothered about having to bleed occasionally. But ‘internal failure’ sounds ominous! What goes on them exactly?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a had several Reverbs and they all failed in the same way, usually after the 2-year warranty. It starts when the saddle drops by a small amount. Just sat there it might be 3-4mm lower than usual and it can be pulled up. I cannot feel it when I'm riding, so it can often go unnoticed until it gets worse, typically at about 6mm. It can still be used, and you can raise the dropper out of the seat tube to compensate. But it's not right and it will swiftly get worse. I'm told that it is repairable if you know what you are doing, but I've never tried and the service and spares cost for someone to do it is prohibitive. Every Reverb has come with the bike I bought, but I would not buy a Reverb. I would far rather get a Brand-X dropper (and I have done so). Amazingly cheap and performance every bit as good.

@TommyC If you like tinkering with bikes, I have a two-year old Reverb that has failed in the above manner. It was on my grandson's bike and I could not be arsed to get it fixed, so I replaced it with a Brand-X. That Reverb is sat in my garage waiting for me to do something with it. Apply here for details. :)

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Well the Axs only 10hrs on it and, looking back at eBay, the stealth was a new take off. So hopefully they’ll do me a while before giving me grief. Only went for the stealth as I wanted to try a hydraulic post. I’ve still got the standard cube one I took off if I’m desperate.

ReadyShreddy

Nov 17, 2023
UK
If you have managed to solve the issue by bleeding it, should be fine for a good while especially if it was relatively new. The stealth is a great dropper when it's working correctly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles