Industry 9 Stem comparison

Boomstick303

Aug 16, 2023
Colorado
I have a new Trek Fuel Exe, and I am looking at possibly changing the stem out. I have never really played around with Stem length, but I feel like my weight is a little to far over the front on downhill sections of rides (note to date on this bike has been mostly trail type riding). The current stem is the stock Bontrager Elite, with 35mm, 0 degree, 45 mm length. I get that 35mm is bar diameter and that 45 mm is the length of the stem, but I do not know what measurement the 0 degree is indicating. Is that measurement for stem rise?

I have never monkeyed around with different aspects of a bikes geometry before as I just have always ridden them as I buy them. As I am a bit advanced in age I am looking to make the bike as comfortable as possible, so my question regarding stem length is this. I am looking more towards a Trail/Enduro feel, at times a splatter of downhill riding, and is a 32mm stem length is too short for this. I get this will depend somewhat on the characteristics of the bike the stem is on, but in general can a stem become too short? I am looking to get the 32mm length vs the 40mm length in the 40mm length stem is only 5mm shorter than the stock 45mm length stem. Thank you.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Before messing with the stem I would try handlebars with more rise (such as 35mm) and more sweep (such as 12°), and if they feel comfortable but too wide then progressively cut them down little by little until you find your sweet spot width.

What I did on my 2022 Trek Rail alloy.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Before messing with the stem I would try handlebars with more rise (such as 35mm) and more sweep (such as 12°), and if they feel comfortable but too wide then progressively cut them down little by little until you find your sweet spot width.

What I did on my 2022 Trek Rail alloy.
..........I agree. Changing/reducing stem length reduces reach but does not raise the upper body which is what it sounds like you want to achieve. I would not worry too much a bout sweep...........just go for higher rise............I would suggest going straight to 40mm rise. If that proves a little too much you can always move a steering tube spacer from a bove to below the stem.
In my opinion most bikes come as standard with too little handlebar rise!!

Boomstick303

Aug 16, 2023
Colorado
The bars already have 27.5 mils of rise.

I guess my next question is how much difference does one see for a given amount of bar rise?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
The bars already have 27.5 mils of rise.

I guess my next question is how much difference does one see for a given amount of bar rise?
I know we are all different but i run 50mm rise bars because of the down hills (y)
And if you want to change the stem because it looks nicer that's fine too ;)

Boomstick303

Aug 16, 2023
Colorado
if you want to change the stem because it looks nicer that's fine too ;)

That is part of it. But I wanted to understand what I can accomplish by chaning out the stem. On of the reasons I am looking at the I9 stem is there is an option to flip the stem to get different height measurements for the bars.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles