Hope Brakes

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Ok…dumb question but I’m scratching my head on this one. I have a Levo Pro and the front brake has been giving me all kinds of issues, I’ve finally had enough and decided to buy some new brakes.

I was told by a friend that the LBS has a few sets of Hope T4V4s at a nice discount so I stopped by to see what the deal was. The guy said they had 1 set left in black but it was a UK set-up, so left brake/rear right/brake front. I said that was fine I would just change the hoses around. The guy told me they’re side specific and that wouldn’t work. I know the levers themselves are but I’d be swapping the hoses around but he was arguing with me that it wouldn’t work. He said he could order a EU set for me but it would be 2-3 weeks to get them.

Am I being dumb here? Can I not just swap the hoses?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Well apart from a small risk that the hose to the front brake might be too short to do so, I wouldn't see a problem either.
But then I have never owned a set of Hope brakes so there may be some complication that I am unaware of.

PS: I used to hire an mtb in Tenerife whenever I was there on hols. The guy used to swap over the whole lever assembly! I wish I could remember the name of the brakes that could do that. Does anyone know what brand they might be?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
PS: I used to hire an mtb in Tenerife whenever I was there on hols. The guy used to swap over the whole lever assembly! I wish I could remember the name of the brakes that could do that. Does anyone know what brand they might be?

sram code (and I think guide etc) levers can be swapped to either side

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Ok…dumb question but I’m scratching my head on this one. I have a Levo Pro and the front brake has been giving me all kinds of issues, I’ve finally had enough and decided to buy some new brakes.

I was told by a friend that the LBS has a few sets of Hope T4V4s at a nice discount so I stopped by to see what the deal was. The guy said they had 1 set left in black but it was a UK set-up, so left brake/rear right/brake front. I said that was fine I would just change the hoses around. The guy told me they’re side specific and that wouldn’t work. I know the levers themselves are but I’d be swapping the hoses around but he was arguing with me that it wouldn’t work. He said he could order a EU set for me but it would be 2-3 weeks to get them.

Am I being dumb here? Can I not just swap the hoses?
I had a set of hope tech3 e4 brakes, and you could just swap the hoses over no problem - as long as they were long enough.

I cant think what might be different about the tech 4's......

edit : this review

says you can swap the hoses on the tech 4 .

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I had a set of hope tech3 e4 brakes, and you could just swap the hoses over no problem - as long as they were long enough.

I cant think what might be different about the tech 4's......

edit : this review

says you can swap the hoses on the tech 4 .
That’s what I thought, not sure what the guy at the shop was on about. Maybe he was confused since the levers are side specific. I think I’ll probably end up going with either Magura MT7s or Shimano Saints though, all my other bikes are mineral oil so it makes more sense.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles